List of safe cheeses made with animal rennet

Birdie

I had to call Boars Head, but their white Canadian Cheddar is made with animal rennet.
Thank you. It sure is hard to find the animal rennet nowadays. Mostly synthetic rennet. Sometimes they tout it as vegan rennet, sometimes label just says rennet. Even a year ago, I could find safe cheese but it's a job now!!

I'm pleasantly surprised about Boars Head.

I think in France, Netherlands and the (Dinaric-) Alps it is very common to use rennet. I actually do not know any cheese which is made by normal fermentation except maybe using it at first to curdle the whey.
Swiss and neighbouring regions even use a special mold which produces CO2 (cheese with holes). The local cottages/ cheese maker primarily

OP
ecstatichamster
Thank you. It sure is hard to find the animal rennet nowadays. Mostly synthetic rennet. Sometimes they tout it as vegan rennet, sometimes label just says rennet. Even a year ago, I could find safe cheese but it's a job now!!

I'm pleasantly surprised about Boars Head.

only this one. Other cheddars they make contain enzymes. Only the Canadian white cheddar is permissible.

Birdie

only this one. Other cheddars they make contain enzymes. Only the Canadian white cheddar is permissible.
Thanks. That's what I thought you meant. I've checked a few of their products, and usually am disappointed.

Birdie

I think in France, Netherlands and the (Dinaric-) Alps it is very common to use rennet. I actually do not know any cheese which is made by normal fermentation except maybe using it at first to curdle the whey.
Swiss and neighbouring regions even use a special mold which produces CO2 (cheese with holes). The local cottages/ cheese maker primarily
Our markets used to get more of these cheeses. You have good fortune !!

Birdie

The Jarlsberg sometimes still lists animal rennet. I'm doubting the labels though because at my grocery, they cut the wheels and label the pieces, and I've seen on the same cheese.... sometimes rennet, sometimes vegetarian rennet. I don't have much faith that they are taking a lot of time to read the master label on the cheese and reproduce it on the little cheeses. .

Dr. B

I had to call Boars Head, but their white Canadian Cheddar is made with animal rennet.
were you looking for people to post what theyve found on this? I was expecting a list mate!

all the pecorino romano and parmigiano reggiano cheeses ive found list animal rennet. pecorino romano is tough for me to eat unless its mixed into a pasta or potato or other dish...
i like the mozzerella sticks, those are easy to eat a lot of, not sure if there's any available with animal rennet. someone posted some of them are made using just vinegar

frannybananny

were you looking for people to post what theyve found on this? I was expecting a list mate!

all the pecorino romano and parmigiano reggiano cheeses ive found list animal rennet. pecorino romano is tough for me to eat unless its mixed into a pasta or potato or other dish...
i like the mozzerella sticks, those are easy to eat a lot of, not sure if there's any available with animal rennet. someone posted some of them are made using just vinegar
Can someone remind me of why only animal rennet cheeses are recommended? What did I miss? Why not vinegar or enzymes?

Dr. B

Can someone remind me of why only animal rennet cheeses are recommended? What did I miss? Why not vinegar or enzymes?
vinegars fine arent there very few cheeses using vinegar? im looking for some with vinegar
enzymes are highly allergenic, usually sourced from molds/fungus. vegetable rennet and citric acid has the same issue.
if its just salt and vinegar should be fine, ive only seen daisys cottage cheese, or certain ricotta cheeses using vinegar...

frannybananny

vinegars fine arent there very few cheeses using vinegar? im looking for some with vinegar
enzymes are highly allergenic, usually sourced from molds/fungus. vegetable rennet and citric acid has the same issue.
if its just salt and vinegar should be fine, ive only seen daisys cottage cheese, or certain ricotta cheeses using vinegar...
Thank you MR Bollox! I actually make my own ricotta cheese...it's quite easy using only vinegar to get it to curdle. I'm going to make mozarella next. I do eat store bought cheeses and didn't understand the preference to animal rennet.

Birdie

Thank you MR Bollox! I actually make my own ricotta cheese...it's quite easy using only vinegar to get it to curdle. I'm going to make mozarella next. I do eat store bought cheeses and didn't understand the preference to animal rennet.
Yes, I'm mainly looking for cheeses without synthetic rennet or those enzymes. Farmer's Cheese would be fine but I haven't seen it where I now live. I do use the hard cheeses for grating/melting.

Every time I buy ricotta I struggle to use it. We are nightshade free so no tomatoes etc. What do you guys do with it other than Italian dishes ?

This looks pretty good:

akgrrrl

Yes, I'm mainly looking for cheeses without synthetic rennet or those enzymes. Farmer's Cheese would be fine but I haven't seen it where I now live. I do use the hard cheeses for grating/melting.

Every time I buy ricotta I struggle to use it. We are nightshade free so no tomatoes etc. What do you guys do with it other than Italian dishes ?

This looks pretty good:
Dollops in a pan of Einkorn pasta, covered in a red sauce, or pesto sauce or white sauce, a layer of meat
Spread in a thin crepe with a protein
Fresh fruit pizza, Einkorn crust, ricotta then apples cinnamon, br sugar
Cheesecake 2C ricotta to 8oz creamcheese 1/2C sourcream, 1&2/3C sugar, vanilla 4 xlg eggs, beat and pour over Einkorn crumbs or Grapenuts ground in coffee grinder plus 4T butter 4T sugar bake 45 to 60 mins. Freeze then unmold &cut.
Onion, bamboo shoot or bokchoy and spinach saute over einkorn pasta spread with 16oz ricotta, garlic,butter, bake.
Always good on a homemade Einkorn 1 hr pizza with savories.
Makes a good base for cracker spread.

akgrrrl

I like ricotta but isn’t it frowned on by some people here because it’s all whey?
I cannot speak to " on here" as a general conclusion since even then the most important factor can be "source". But hundreds and hundreds maybe thousands of years of pastoral civilizations using whey for a variety of cultured milk products are "wrong"? The progression of cheese types, cultured kefirs, yogurts from rennets have been a delicious and variable human sustainer for a very long time. The modern challenge: find a source from ruminants that actually browse naturally and peacefully, no hormones. No pesticides, no herbicides, no chemical defoliants sprayed on plant feed, no pufa laden plant oils sprayed on grain or fodder as feed. no growth hormones, no antibiotics systemically injected in the animal source. No product additives in processing as whiteners, thickeners, and finally no synthetic flavorings, preservatives, dyes, and by-products as high fructose corn syrup. All of these are easily found in a "value added" frozen food product as strawberry blintzes in you local grocery.

Birdie

I like ricotta but isn’t it frowned on by some people here because it’s all whey?
Oh oh. I meant mozzarella cheese. But on the ricotta, is it like cottage cheese? We always rinse the cottage cheese. I've become so accustomed to rinsing it that the unrinsed seems disgusting. I stopped buying it last year though. Never felt like eating it. But @akgrrrl , I like your ideas. You've reminded me that it can be melted. I was really tired of it with fruit.

akgrrrl

Oh oh. I meant mozzarella cheese. But on the ricotta, is it like cottage cheese? We always rinse the cottage cheese. I've become so accustomed to rinsing it that the unrinsed seems disgusting. I stopped buying it last year though. Never felt like eating it. But @akgrrrl , I like your ideas. You've reminded me that it can be melted. I was really tired of it with fruit.
Rinse your cottage cheese and put it in the blender with fresh herbs and a T olive oil for gread dips and spreads. Yes its melty! Works for all the above, and fruit smoothies too.

Dr. B

i have been looking is there a good mozzerella cheese or even cheese stick which uses just vinegar?
it would be nice having A2 mozzerella cheese, 100% grass fed and organic, but I have never found or seen an all grass fed cheese which is organic, as well as A2, and uses no plant enzymes, only animal rennet or vinegar. maybe one of the farms offers something like this.
Daisys cottage cheese is delicious and no rinsing needed. not organic though. how do you rinse the cottage cheese, its already semi liquid?
ricotta cheese has a milder flavor and is more creamy than cottage cheese. im not sure how to describe it. its closer to cream cheese than cottage cheese. I hope someone can share some good cheeses which can be eaten in large amounts, and are available without plant enzymes/rennet/citric acid

maybe. is mascarpone also mostly whey? i think mascarpone is high in fat, whereas ricotta cheese has protein and fat like cottage cheese.

Birdie

Cheesecake 2C ricotta to 8oz creamcheese 1/2C sourcream, 1&2/3C sugar, vanilla 4 xlg eggs, beat and pour over Einkorn crumbs or Grapenuts ground in coffee grinder plus 4T butter 4T sugar bake 45 to 60 mins. Freeze then unmold &cut. From @akgrrrl

Sounds good. I found a recipe without cream cheese because I can't find that without gum here. I can substitute and make it crustless. I was looking for what turned out to be mozzarella so luckily didn't find it. I was tired.

Oh, good. I see your answer. The smoothies sounds good and spreads. If our other cheese choices dwindle, there is still Daisy cottage cheese. :):

akgrrrl

I
Cheesecake 2C ricotta to 8oz creamcheese 1/2C sourcream, 1&2/3C sugar, vanilla 4 xlg eggs, beat and pour over Einkorn crumbs or Grapenuts ground in coffee grinder plus 4T butter 4T sugar bake 45 to 60 mins. Freeze then unmold &cut. From @akgrrrl

Sounds good. I found a recipe without cream cheese because I can't find that without gum here. I can substitute and make it crustless. I was looking for what turned out to be mozzarella so luckily didn't find it. I was tired.

Oh, good. I see your answer. The smoothies sounds good and spreads. If our other cheese choices dwindle, there is still Daisy cottage cheese. :):
Forgot to say bake low and slow. Eggs are delicate. 5 eggs if med or large by grocery standards. 325 degrees, turn it up last 10 mins. Sometimes it splits then I just cover it with whatever topping I am using: drizzle melted semisweet choc, fruit compote, or tart style arranged fruit after unmolding,

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals