List of safe cheeses made with animal rennet

I've just noticed what Birdie wrote in the 2nd post of this thread. Apparently having the word "Rennet" on the label is not enough to know if it's truly animal rennet. My previous submission, Black Bear brand Havarti Cheese may not qualify. I have been eating it for several months, luckily with no discomfort or strange symptoms. I imagine if the typical European cheeses said "rennet" on the label then it would likely be animal rennet, however i don't feel the same about American cheeses.

New cheese found: Jarlsberg branded Jarlsberg cheese

Ingredients: Pasteurized part-skim milk, culture, salt, microbial rennet.

View attachment 32597

The description on the label is accurate; mild, mellow, light nutty flavor. Similar to a mild swiss but different.
Yeah microbial is the bad stuff.

Lollipop2

I am sooo disappointed. My husband and I went through EVERY single cheese (in specialty department and in packages) at a LARGE Whole Foods and only found like 10 cheeses without enzymes. Not one single Swiss cheese I have found is free of enzymes. They ALL have enzymes. Terrible. They food supply is getting worse and worse.

I am sooo disappointed. My husband and I went through EVERY single cheese (in specialty department and in packages) at a LARGE Whole Foods and only found like 10 cheeses without enzymes. Not one single Swiss cheese I have found is free of enzymes. They ALL have enzymes. Terrible. They food supply is getting worse and worse.
You found 10? I have have only found one since "Peating", a parmesan, until I found that online Italian market, olioandolive.com

Lollipop2

You found 10? I have have only found one since "Peating", a parmesan, until I found that online Italian market, olioandolive.com
Asiago, some rare, British, Italian and French cheeses like gruyere, Barbers 1833 cheddar from UK aged 18 months.They have a HUGE case of cheeses - maybe fifty to a hundred different kinds.

❤️ Before half of the case was enzyme free like farmers cheese, swiss, gouda etc etc. it has been slowly shrinking.
“We could see that it was only a matter of time until our small farm was just not viable,” Goodman said “The cheese factory that we were selling to was losing its market share because of cheaper products produced by bigger companies, and they basically told us they wouldn’t be able to buy our milk anymore."

Lollipop2

“We could see that it was only a matter of time until our small farm was just not viable,” Goodman said “The cheese factory that we were selling to was losing its market share because of cheaper products produced by bigger companies, and they basically told us they wouldn’t be able to buy our milk anymore."

Grrrgh...? This just makes me so sad. I wish these small producers would band together as a larger coop and compete.

Grrrgh...? This just makes me so sad. I wish these small producers would band together as a larger coop and compete.
I know me too! My raw dairy farm burnt down three weeks, or so, ago and I am back to pasteurized milk. I hope people don't move on, and the farm can recover from this.

JamieP

Murrayscheese.com has animal rennet cheese! Actually able to filter to just animal rennet cheeses and have 147 results. Definitely going to place an order. Now that I know about the bioengineered microbial "rennet" I want to avoid it at all costs.

JamieP

I called Boar's Head to confirm the presence of animal rennet in the Canadian Cheddar. The rep said it did not state that it was suitable for vegetarians so the implication was that it was animal rennet. I have a local store that carries it so, between the info that I received and the previous poster, I'm going to give it a try. I just want some cheddar cheese that isn't a chemical experiment...

I called Boar's Head to confirm the presence of animal rennet in the Canadian Cheddar. The rep said it did not state that it was suitable for vegetarians so the implication was that it was animal rennet. I have a local store that carries it so, between the info that I received and the previous poster, I'm going to give it a try. I just want some cheddar cheese that isn't a chemical experiment...
There are tons of cheese with rennet, which makes them unsuitable for vegetarians, but they almost always contain "cultures" or "microbial bacterias" too, which makes them not Ray Peat recommended.

Murrayscheese.com has animal rennet cheese! Actually able to filter to just animal rennet cheeses and have 147 results. Definitely going to place an order. Now that I know about the bioengineered microbial "rennet" I want to avoid it at all costs.
Murray's does have just as many cheeses with microbial rennet as ones with animal rennet, and many animal rennet cheeses with egg whites, which can cause histamine issues in many, but otherwise it looks like there are some good cheeses to find here! Thanks JamieP!

JamieP

Well shoot, I’ll have to pass on the Boar’s Head cheese then. I’m shocked that the microbial rennet does not have to be labeled as such?

Well shoot, I’ll have to pass on the Boar’s Head cheese then. I’m shocked that the microbial rennet does not have to be labeled as such?
The ingredients can list microbial rennet or just rennet, but when it says rennet AND cultures or other nefarious microbial namezls then it is no better than vegetarian cheeses. It isn't the rennet that makes it safe it is the lack of the other craftily labeled ingredients that makes it questionable. It is like people thinking they are eating good bread because it is sourdough and made with "sourdough starter", but if yeast is ALSO on the label then it is not much better than any other bread.

JamieP

The ingredients can list microbial rennet or just rennet, but when it says rennet AND cultures or other nefarious microbial namezls then it is no better than vegetarian cheeses. It isn't the rennet that makes it safe it is the lack of the other craftily labeled ingredients that makes it questionable. It is like people thinking they are eating good bread because it is sourdough and made with "sourdough starter", but if yeast is ALSO on the label then it is not much better than any other bread.
Thank you so much for this good information! I have read sooo many cheese labels. I am at the grocery store for hours ? and have gotten fooled multiple times. Very helpful!

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals