Just Ate Carrageenan

lvysaur

It was in deli meat, and the meat was covered in a thick gross gel.

Gastrointestinal symptoms: stools are foul smelling, dark, small and "Itty bitty", mild constipation, pain

Those are the only major symptoms, probably because I was in great health until this point.

It feels like undoing a year's worth of progress, but at least I know how to fix it. Ray Peat was right again.

allblues

Loving that thread title, i picture some kind of Peat-themed Woody Allen-movie

XPlus

tara

It was in deli meat, and the meat was covered in a thick gross gel.
Do you know that it was carrageenan? Not just gelatin?A decent brawn should have a bit of good gelatin in it - gross being in the mouth of the taster.

OP
lvysaur

lvysaur

what does this mean

No idea, first time seeing it here.

Do you know that it was carrageenan? Not just gelatin?A decent brawn should have a bit of good gelatin in it - gross being in the mouth of the taster.

Yeah I know, it was listed on the ingredients, and it wasn't even the last ingredient. Not sure what a brawn is.

tara

Yeah I know, it was listed on the ingredients, and it wasn't even the last ingredient.
Bad luck. Seems like a weird thing to put in meat, but I guess they've found a way that it saves them money.
Not sure what a brawn is.
Jellied meat dish - there are recipes if you google.

OP
lvysaur

lvysaur

I guess they've found a way that it saves them money.

I'm pretty sure its usage in dairy products is to cheaply mimic the effects of milkfat, hence its presence in things like heavy cream and sour cream.

tara

I'm pretty sure its usage in dairy products is to cheaply mimic the effects of milkfat, hence its presence in things like heavy cream and sour cream.
Yes. In meat, I imagine it makes it easier to increase the ratio of water to meat too.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals