Is Vitamin K1 (Phytomenadione) A Good Cheap Alternative To MK4?

A.R

I've been recently using k1 tablets as I didn't have enough money to purchase mk4.

Had some positive results I feel with the k1, in that it makes my teeth cavity pain go away. These are only 100mcg tablets.

Anyone else have experience using this form?

YourUniverse

I can't answer whether K1 can be a substitute for K2 mk4, but green leafy vegetables are a good source of vitamin K1, are they not an option for you? A few handfuls of spinach, cooked, is many hundreds of mcg of K1, plus a decent source of minerals.

I wonder how the aboriginals Weston Price encountered, with what he described as perfect bone structure, ever got their vitamin K needs met without the use of supplements... :doctor:

Mito

“First, once we eat foods with vitamin K in them, our bodies handle the different forms differently. Consider these examples:
  • Vitamin K1 travels to our livers more effectively than it does to our bones or blood vessels. The liver is where we use vitamin K to make the proteins involved in blood clotting, so vitamin K1 is better at supporting blood clotting than it is at provniding other health benefits.
  • MK-7 is much more effective than K1 at reaching bone. This doesn’t just make it good for bones: our bones use vitamin K to produce a hormone known as osteocalcin, which improves metabolic and hormonal health and increases exercise performance. Thus, MK-7 better supports these health benefits than K1 . The portion of MK-7 that reaches the liver, moreover, stays active in the liver much longer than K1 before being broken down; as a result, MK-7 is even better than K1 at supporting blood clotting.
  • MK-4 is taken up by our tissues very rapidly after we consume it. While it hasn’t been studied as carefully as MK-7, it may be less effective than MK-7 at reaching liver and bone but more effective at reaching most other tissues. This would make it better at protecting those tissues from calcium deposits and cancer development and supporting sex hormone production through its direct actions within our sex organs.
Overall, then, the collection of different vitamin K2 compounds better supports all the health benefits listed above than vitamin K1 because they better reach the tissues that matter.

The difference between K1 and K2 isn’t absolute. When we eat vitamin K1 some of it will reach tissues outside the liver and we will convert some of it to MK-4. But the real question is: what’s the best vitamin for the job? Vitamin K2 is clearly much better at supporting the health benefits discussed in this resource, so the resource is dedicated specifically to getting enough K2 in its diversity of forms.”

https://chrismasterjohnphd.com/2016/12/09/the-ultimate-vitamin-k2-resource/

LeeLemonoil

Study methods are questionable, but here they found intake of K1 might be more preventive than K2 against bone damage and also sarcopenia

Michael Mohn

While I like K2 taste wise and it makes me feel good I found K1 as a supplement or from green veggies more beneficial especially in countering/balancing aspirin. I don't eat much greens in general and at the beginning of peating I was eating no greens and taking no K2 supplements but I was experimenting with aspirin and after some time I developed bruising and eating parsley resolved the problem immediately.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals