Is Iron In Potatoes Too High?

welshwing

5-9% iron in 1 potato, I eat a lot of potatoes. Is this too much iron? Most of the iron is in the skin but the potato itself has iron...

Ray Peat said iron is bad. But he also said 6 pounds mashed potatoes (2400 calories) is okay to survive off for a while.

Birdie

Well, maybe that's your answer.

OP
W

welshwing

But I thought that having more copper and less estrogen help reduce excess iron you'd otherwise absorb. And potatos have 4:1 copper to iron ratio according to nutrition data's site

OP
W

welshwing

Maybe this should be moved to the 'Potato' section instead of 'Diet'

Peater Piper

Have you had your iron checked? I was concerned about mine, considering I eat quite a bit of red meat, yet I'm at the bottom of the normal range. I've no doubt high iron levels can be problematic, but I'm not sure everyone needs to be going to great pains to avoid it if they're not storing it excessively.

I can't give you a specific answer regarding potatoes, but I think animal sources of iron are a greater concern. Heme iron has greater absorption, plus it increases absorption of nonheme iron (so if you eat your potatoes with some beef, you're absorbing more of the iron in the potato than you otherwise would have). Also, vitamin c can increase absorption of nonheme iron. Coffee/tea and dairy/calcium decrease absorption.

Birdie

I agree. My iron was already low. Then, with all the iron blocking procedures, it went too low.
Good review of heme, non heme iron Peater Piper.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals