A method to remove solanine from potatoes

Aymen

Solanin is removed from potatoes by dipping the potatoes in vinegar of 30-60 deg.C, containing 0.3-1.0 vol% of acetic acid, for 2-5 minutes. The potato processing method comprises the steps of cutting the potatoes in a regular thickness, wherein optionally dipping the cut potatoes in vinegar of 30-60 deg.C containing 0.3-1.0 vol5 of acetic acid, for 2-5 minutes and frying the cut potatoes.

I didn't eat srarch for a year, i have introduced only potatoes back last month and i got a sore throat and flu like symptoms, then i gave up eating potatoes again.
I have searched more about removing solanine from potatoes besides well boiling it and cutting the skin but i found that vinegar is very effective, now i can't translate 0.3-1.vol % of acetic acid to tbsp but i tried 2 tbsp yesterday and it seemed to work, i didn't notice any bad symptoms. I used 2 cookware; the first one i turned the heat and i waited until the water boils then i added 2 tbsp of white vinegar and then the potatoes then i closed the lid for 5 minutes then i removed it and put it in the other cookware and cook it like always for 1 hour, the final taste with salt is not sour so give it a try guys and post a comment about you results.

Elie

Forum Supporter
I believe white vinegar is 5% acetic acid

ursidae

cholesterol is another thing that can help as it forms complexes with solanine and it gets excreted

it's no wonder potatoes cooked in vinegar and served with eggs are a traditional recipe in some parts of the world

I am living with scottish people at the moment and I suspect immunity to solanine poisoning has been selected for among them. They leave their potatoes out on the counter in bright light for weeks on end. To the point they become very green. Interestingly they don't add vinegar and they didn't get sick from eating it. They do add a little butter (cholesterol) and milk (calcium to bind the oxalates).

Jib

Amazing. I notice a burning and metallic sensation in my mouth when I eat potatoes. Not all the time. Enough to make me think it's the solanine and not an actual allergy. Some potatoes are far worse than others.

Really appreciate you sharing this. I had pretty much written off potatoes because of this. Excited to give this a try!

Apple

Solanin is removed from potatoes by dipping the potatoes in vinegar of 30-60 deg.C, containing 0.3-1.0 vol% of acetic acid, for 2-5 minutes. The potato processing method comprises the steps of cutting the potatoes in a regular thickness, wherein optionally dipping the cut potatoes in vinegar of 30-60 deg.C containing 0.3-1.0 vol5 of acetic acid, for 2-5 minutes and frying the cut potatoes.

I didn't eat srarch for a year, i have introduced only potatoes back last month and i got a sore throat and flu like symptoms, then i gave up eating potatoes again.
I have searched more about removing solanine from potatoes besides well boiling it and cutting the skin but i found that vinegar is very effective, now i can't translate 0.3-1.vol % of acetic acid to tbsp but i tried 2 tbsp yesterday and it seemed to work, i didn't notice any bad symptoms. I used 2 cookware; the first one i turned the heat and i waited until the water boils then i added 2 tbsp of white vinegar and then the potatoes then i closed the lid for 5 minutes then i removed it and put it in the other cookware and cook it like always for 1 hour, the final taste with salt is not sour so give it a try guys and post a comment about you results.
Did you slice your potatos before immersing into solution of vinegar like they did ?
i guess a good amount of minerals would be lost

InChristAlone

That's interesting, when we fry potatoes we first parboil in water with vinegar and salt. It makes them not get mushy. Keeps them crisp. Didn't know it's useful for solanine.

OP
A

Aymen

OP
A

Aymen

cholesterol is another thing that can help as it forms complexes with solanine and it gets excreted

it's no wonder potatoes cooked in vinegar and served with eggs are a traditional recipe in some parts of the world

I am living with scottish people at the moment and I suspect immunity to solanine poisoning has been selected for among them. They leave their potatoes out on the counter in bright light for weeks on end. To the point they become very green. Interestingly they don't add vinegar and they didn't get sick from eating it. They do add a little butter (cholesterol) and milk (calcium to bind the oxalates).
I have tried to eat it with butter and eggs but it gave me the same bad results everytime, cholesterol containing foods were not helpful for me.

OP
A

Aymen

Amazing. I notice a burning and metallic sensation in my mouth when I eat potatoes. Not all the time. Enough to make me think it's the solanine and not an actual allergy. Some potatoes are far worse than others.

Really appreciate you sharing this. I had pretty much written off potatoes because of this. Excited to give this a try!
Yes, i think solanine is the main concern in the nightshade family,
White potatoes is more poisonous than yubkin gold, yellow potatoes grown in spring have a thicker skin than white ones, the thick skin i believe is important to protect the potatoes when it is exposed to light so less solanine will be formed.

Thank you, i hope it will not give you any bad symptoms like before.

OP
A

Aymen

Did you slice your potatos before immersing into solution of vinegar like they did ?
i guess a good amount of minerals would be lost
Some minerals like potassium will be lost in the cooking water if you cut it to slices so i usually boil them whole.
"Boiling tuber cubes and shredded tubers decreased potassium levels by 50% and 75%, respectively. Reductions in mineral amounts following boiling were observed for phosphorus, magnesium, sulfur, zinc, manganese, and iron."

Birdie

It's very interesting to me. I cannot eat any nightshades because when I do I get horrible joint pain. This pain will last for months, so I probably won't try this. In my case it might not be smart.

But I would love to eat a potato once in a while. It's a part of Ray Peat thinking that I've had to avoid. I'll think about it though. I've not heard of this method on any of the solanine/nightshade free places I've read. New idea, thank you.

Dutchie

I wonder if pressure cooking with water+vinegar would yield the same result or that the potatos have to really be submerged in the water mixture.

Lejeboca

Thank you for the find @Aymen .
Per pattern referenced, removing the maximum solanine is a delicate balance of acetic acid concentration, temperature, and time of immersion.
The inventor suggests "brewed" (fermented) vinegar.

.. in the present invention, at the same concentration, brewed vinegar is used which is less acidic than the acetic acid diluent and the solanine removal effect is equivalent. Brewed vinegar is obtained by acetic acid fermentation of raw materials such as grains and fruits, and is suitable as a food material. When using such brewed vinegar, the temperature conditions are the same as the acetic acid diluent.

Potatoes have different solanine removal effects according to the treated acetic acid concentration.The higher the acetic acid concentration, the higher the solanine removal effect, but
above a certain concentration, the removal effect is not only slowed down, but also a sour taste is generated. Since there is not much, it is preferable to use a vinegar of 0.3 vol% to 1.0 vol% of acetic acid.

The temperature of the solution is slightly higher temperature than the room temperature, and since the removal effect is slowed down above a certain temperature, the temperature should be carried out at 80 ℃ or less, 30 to 60 ℃ is suitable. If the temperature is less than 30 ℃ solanine removal effect is not good.

From conclusion:
In the case of Example 1[inventor's method], the solanine content was 63.5% lower than that of Comparative Example 1 [no removal], and in Comparative Example 4 in which the acetic acid content was too high [1.1%], the solanine content was hardly decreased, but the sour taste was greatly increased [2.4 vs 6.4]
in the case of the method of treatment with etepon during the conventional cultivation period, the amount of reduction in solanine is not large (about 37%) even when spraying 50,000ppm, so that the solanine removal efficiency of the method according to the present invention It was found to be much better.

It seems. however, that a strong kombutcha will do the trick of being brewed (fermented) and just enough acetic acid:

From Tailor-made microbial consortium for Kombucha fermentation: Microbiota-induced biochemical changes and biofilm formation :

As expected, acetic and lactic acids were observed at 10 to 1000-fold higher concentrations than the other acids (Fig. 6B). Acetic acid was quantified at variable concentrations between d7 (1.31 ± 0.04 g/L) and d20 (1.45 ± 0.07 g/L) (p value = 0.0906), then increased to 2.41 ± 0.06 g/L at d27 (Fig. 6B).

1640823609158.png

Fred

Looks like the inventor is using pure vinegar with a low acetic acid content (0.3% - 1%) - i.e. not adding vinegar to water. Wikipedia: "Vinegar typically contains 5–8% acetic acid by volume." So this would suggest that the solution would be roughly 10:1 water/vinegar using typical store-bought vinegar for 2-5 mins at 85-140 degrees F ... i.e. bath tub temp.

Ben.

It's very interesting to me. I cannot eat any nightshades because when I do I get horrible joint pain. This pain will last for months, so I probably won't try this. In my case it might not be smart.

But I would love to eat a potato once in a while. It's a part of Ray Peat thinking that I've had to avoid. I'll think about it though. I've not heard of this method on any of the solanine/nightshade free places I've read. New idea, thank you.

I think tankasnowgod mentioned he nixtamalised potatoes. Wonder if that would make it digestible for you.

Birdie

I think tankasnowgod mentioned he nixtamalised potatoes. Wonder if that would make it digestible for you.

Thanks Ben. Sadly, mine is not a digestion problem. I, along with many others, am nightshade sensitive. I discovered this by doing the standard Nightshade Challenge. Many people with joint and muscle pain find (to their chagrin) it is triggered by nightshades.

Included are potatoes, tomatoes, eggplant, chili peppers but not black pepper. They have to read every label as just a small amount will cause flareups. Books have been written on it. ;)

NikT

I haven't tested this a lot, but it seems to help. Using pink roosters(startchy) stored dark packaged in paper bag. Before I was eating non startchy potatoes which were packaged in clear plastic moslty being blasted with LED lights in the store.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals