Pregnant, Low Iron - Not Sure What To Do

Emunagal

Starting 9th month of pregnancy and I know what Peat says about iron and how it really should not be supplemented and after 2 badly jaundiced babies (after taking tons of iron) I don't want another one.

However, I am truly anemic and my iron stores are going down. Fe-Iron is dropping - was 64, now 61, officially borderline and ferritin is past the red line at only 9. Hemoglobin is on the border at only 11, hemocratit is also way below the red line, and RBC is also below the line at 3.86.

I used to take T3 and T4, now I don't have a reliable source of T3 with the Grossman fiasco so I am back to T4 only but my FT3 and FT4 numbers are still fine, and TSH is decent at 3.7 although not where I would like it to be of course. I eat lots of protein, potatoes, fruits, OJ, etc. and lots of supplements as well - Nutrisorb A, iodine, Vit D/K, Vit E, folic acid, and zinc, plus progesterone, magnesium, etc etc. I am also trying to eat lots of meat and other sources of iron, and taking spirulina as well.

And I am exhausted all the time. My thighs burn just from standing, and I can't walk up hills or more than a block. Sure it's normal to be tired by now but the muscle exhaustion is not normal, this is 3rd prego, I have a clue by now. Frankly I am nervous about managing birth in this state.

Greatly appreciate thoughts and advice. TIA.

T

tca300

Have you tried eating liver? Also T4 only will probably make you more hypothyroid. Avoiding PUFA is important. 1/2 gallon of milk,
two eggs, lots of carbohydrates from fruit, and as much salt as you desire should be a mandatory thing everyday while pregnant. Taking iodine, and spirulina might cause problems, along with other potentially harmful supplements.

tankasnowgod

Starting 9th month of pregnancy and I know what Peat says about iron and how it really should not be supplemented and after 2 badly jaundiced babies (after taking tons of iron) I don't want another one.

However, I am truly anemic and my iron stores are going down. Fe-Iron is dropping - was 64, now 61, officially borderline and ferritin is past the red line at only 9. Hemoglobin is on the border at only 11, hemocratit is also way below the red line, and RBC is also below the line at 3.86.

I really think Peat's warning is generally about supplemental iron, although there is no doubt high body iron stores (whatever the cause) leads to problems.

Clearly, however, you are on the other end. Here's a few things I can think of, right off the top of my head-

- Supplement with dessicated liver, on top of any meat and liver you are already eating. The heme iron is much safer than the raw supplemental metal. Plus, it naturally contains the cofactors to help produce hemoglobin.
- Vitamin C and sugar both increase absorption of iron. Maybe eat fruit or drink juice with meals. Or, pop a vitamin C supplement. If you are craving steak and orange juice in the same meal, this could be a possible reason.
- Be wary of all the things that can inhibit iron absorption. Many are off the table when you're pregnant, like coffee and tea, but eggs, milk, and calcium are very powerful inhibitors. Those last three are still very healthy, but maybe take them away from eating meat.
- You may also want to up your B vitamin intake. Especially B6, B12, and folate. I personally found that using a supplement with 5-MTHF version of folate was excellent at building hemoglobin when I was reducing iron via blood donation. The current Life Extension Two Per Day (with 5MTFH) worked great as a multi for this purpose.
- As for supplemental iron, you can buy Ferritin on places like amazon. I think Iron Bisglycinate is a gentler form of supplemental iron, with fewer GI side effects, and better absorption as well.
- You may also want to check out Iron Blog which is run by the Iron Disorders Institute. Check the low iron sections and see if anyone has any good suggestions.
- I've also seen it suggested that there is an upper limit to the amount of heme iron absorbed from a single meal. So maybe eat meat more frequently as well.

natedawggh

I used to take T3 and T4, now I don't have a reliable source of T3 with the Grossman fiasco so I am back to T4 only but my FT3 and FT4 numbers are still fine, and TSH is decent at 3.7 although not where I would like it to be of course. I eat lots of protein, potatoes, fruits, OJ, etc. and lots of supplements as well - Nutrisorb A, iodine, Vit D/K, Vit E, folic acid, and zinc, plus progesterone, magnesium, etc etc. I am also trying to eat lots of meat and other sources of iron, and taking spirulina as well.

And I am exhausted all the time. My thighs burn just from standing, and I can't walk up hills or more than a block. Sure it's normal to be tired by now but the muscle exhaustion is not normal, this is 3rd prego, I have a clue by now. Frankly I am nervous about managing birth in this state.

Greatly appreciate thoughts and advice. TIA.

Clearly, if you are exposed to sources of dietary Iron and you have low Iron, it has nothing to do with the amount you're ingesting. Iron deficiency is usually caused by a B2 deficiency, so try taking some Riboflavin (avoid silica in supplements, as it is an allergen in this form). Vitamin A also releases Iron from the liver, and if you're not getting enough vitamin A you could have excessive stores in your liver which are not being released. But my guess is you don't have enough B2

OP
E

Emunagal

I wish I could handle eating liver - it would be better than supplementing iron and Vit A. But I can't!

The B2 is quite an idea. Will try it.

I know about milk and calcium not being taken with iron, but did not know about eggs. Will work around that one. And yes always having a glass of OJ with my meat! In general I am craving OJ, oranges and cranberries (all Vit C) but I do take some Vit C as well every day.

I have been debating about the T4, as I am quite afraid that it might be adding to my general mineral absorption issues - I know it blocks Vit E and calcium for beginners. Who knows what else it also blocks?! I don't know how else to help my thyroid though without the T3. I've heard about taking aspirin and caffeine together to replace thyroid but not about to do that prego/nursi ng and I can't take dessicated thyroid either.

I am very careful about avoiding PUFA in general, besides that I do sometimes eat at restaurants and oil is everywhere. I do my best to avoid it and I don't eat out that regularly.

tara

I wish I could handle eating liver - it would be better than supplementing iron and Vit A. But I can't!
Have you made an attempt to find really fresh (dark red) liver? The taste is much better than old grey stuff, though I gather it's not always easy to get fresh in some places. Have you tried different recipes? Pate on rice wafers with a slice of cucumber or tomato is quite different from fried liver and onions. Someone said they cooked and purreed liver and added it to soup for extra flavour. Liver and bacon stew?