- May 7, 2013
I'd like to start a discussion on:
- The question if iron deficiency is as bad as iron excess.
- The connection between thyroid dysfunction and iron deficiency.
- Determining the optimal intake of iron (i.e. how much mg iron/day, optimal ferritin/transferrin saturation values? Intake by symptoms?)
- The question whether strict anti-absorptive strategies (e.g. coffee after eating meat/liver) are useful for maintaining health.
- Evidence for thyroid hormone deficiency in iron-deficient anemic rats. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/2498473
- Impaired thermoregulation and thyroid function in iron-deficiency anemia.
- Hypothermia in iron deficiency due to altered triiodothyronine metabolism.
- Iron Deficiency Anemia Reduces Thyroid Peroxidase Activity in Rats
- Thyroid Hormone Modulates the Interaction between Iron Regulatory Proteins and the Ferritin mRNA Iron-responsive Element
- Effect of iron supplementation on fatigue in nonanemic menstruating women with low ferritin: a randomized controlled trial.
- Randomised study of cognitive effects of iron supplementation in
non-anaemic iron-deficient adolescent girls
- Effects of routine prophylactic supplementation with iron and folic acid on admission to hospital and mortality in preschool children in a high malaria transmission setting: community-based, randomised, placebo-controlled trial.