Iodine Instead of Synthetic Thyroid Meds?

DMF

Anyone choose this route instead of the other thyroid meds - and might it have put you in conflict with what your Doc/ Endocrinologist wanted?
Also, what form of iodine works for you & why? The choices seem somewhat complicated, if not almost dangerous if you don't know what you're doing.

Last edited:

cs3000

i started taking iodine to support thyroid with low intake , works with tyrosine from adequate protein intake
(but only small amounts of iodine / iodide needed for thyroid function)

iodide might help make PUFA less reactive Iodide, antioxidant function and omega-6 and omega-3 fatty acids
, cells take up iodine as iodide
iodide -> iodine using h2o2

hypothyroid caused by low iodine is usually associated with intakes <20mcg or at most <50mcg daily from what i read
theres a trend of people using high doses , miligrams, too much causes hypothyroid on the other end
high dose potassium iodide has some clinical use in neutrophil invasion disorders. but will shut down thyroid while on it
Nohr found iodine supplementation during pregnancy could cause TSH of cord blood to be 27.3% higher than that of those with no artificial iodine supplementation. He suggested the fetal thyroid is more sensitive to the inhibitory effect of iodine than is usually anticipated [49]. A study of pregnant females by Rebagliato demonstrated increased risk of TSH levels above 3 mIU/L in females who consumed 200 µg or more of iodine supplements daily compared with those who consumed less than 100 µg/day
100 - 200 micrograms looks like a good cutoff point. depending on intake from food / iodized salt

Last edited:
OP
D

DMF

i started taking iodine to support thyroid with low intake , works with tyrosine from adequate protein intake
(but only small amounts of iodine / iodide needed for thyroid function)

iodide might help make PUFA less reactive Iodide, antioxidant function and omega-6 and omega-3 fatty acids
, cells take up iodine as iodide
iodide -> iodine using h2o2

hypothyroid caused by low iodine is usually associated with intakes <20mcg or at most <50mcg daily from what i read
theres a trend of people using high doses , miligrams, too much causes hypothyroid on the other end
high dose potassium iodide has some clinical use in neutrophil invasion disorders. but will shut down thyroid while on it

100 - 200 micrograms looks like a good cutoff point. depending on intake from food / iodized salt
Would you recomend Logol's, or perhaps Nascent ? Are you being your own doctor? I am for the time being untill I can get an Endo who's accepting new patients,
so I can't say I know exactly what I'm doing. Any thoughts on Iodine skin test ?

youngsinatra

Iodine always made me feel dead cold and my pulse and temperature plummeted.

ChiroGuru

Personally I have taken 50 mg of Lugols a day for the last years. Don‘t have any issues with it. Hat some detox symptoms at the beginning.

Callmestar

I always felt a little better when taking relatively high doses of lugols iodine, then read something on this forum that said it would destroy my thyroid and it scared me off. I may try it again as I suspect I need it and half of what's posted on here is BS.

Callmestar

Personally I have taken 50 mg of Lugols a day for the last years. Don‘t have any issues with it. Hat some detox symptoms at the beginning.

Do you feel it's helped you in any way? And have you check your thyroid bloods over that time to see if they've changed at all?

cs3000

i think the common effect is you go hypothyroid for a few days on high doses. then your thyroid adjusts and continues regular output. but maybe the longer you stay on it the more chance you get at inducing hypothyroidism? idk for sure about that last part yet. some people with certain issues dont get that initial thyroid adjustment and just stay hypothyroid. and a part of those people come back to normal within a few weeks of stopping, but another part of that group stay hypothyroid
Would you recomend Logol's, or perhaps Nascent ? Are you being your own doctor? I am for the time being untill I can get an Endo who's accepting new patients,
so I can't say I know exactly what I'm doing. Any thoughts on Iodine skin test ?
id rather just iodized salt or potassium iodide idk about taking elemental iodine mixed like that, as iodide is the type taken up by the body in nature seems best to stick with it

Last edited:

ChiroGuru

Do you feel it's helped you in any way? And have you check your thyroid bloods over that time to see if they've changed at all?
TSH went sky high (which is normal), then came down after some months. T3 increased. I feel great with it, I never have brain fog, my brain works very fast, I rarely have infections. Hands and feet are always warm. I definitely recommend the iodine truth group on FB.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals