I'm Getting Reflux After Drinking OJ. Wasn't A Problem In The Past Though

Carrum

I don't know why this is happening. I have been drinking around 2 litres of store bought orange juice every day for quite a few years now but just recently I have been getting reflux from even small amounts of OJ. It's putting me off drinking it but I need the energy for work, which is very physical. I've been relying a little more on cola but I would rather be drinking something with vitamins and minerals along with the energy.
I'm wondering if this problem is connected to some other issues I had earlier this year? I started experimenting with eating rice (starchy foods have always been a problem for me). It seemed ok at first but I started getting cold sores and mouth sores. I also started getting lower back aches. To make matters worse, some months back I experimented with A2 milk (I'm allergic to A1). I seemed ok at first but then I started getting a lot digestion problems and belly aches. I cut out the rice and the milk and felt an improvement immediately. It took several months to feel somewhere near normal again but I now have this reflux problem that I didn't have before.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
There was some talk here on the forum years ago about certain commercial brands using flavor packs and pulp dissolving enzymes. There’s a good write up about it on Toxinless.
Orange juices with/without flavor packs and pulp-dissolving enzymes - Toxinless
I remember one time I was drinking a specific brand and suddenly it started giving me problems. They apparently changed their practice and would no longer comment on whether they used flavor packs. I had to quit drinking that brand and switch to a more expensive one from Whole Foods.

gaze

probably not eating enough calories so your heading down a downward spiral of low stomach acid, so you slowly stop digesting most foods. Id add back milk and rice if I were you and just keep eating past the uncomfortableness until your body starts producing more stomach acid/blood sugar/hormone regulation

Vinny

Too much acid in OJ. My 2 pesos.
Lack of calories from Kammas is probably a good reason too.

milkboi

Too much acid in OJ.

That could definitely be the reason for the reflux. Try finding a better quality OJ that's not sour. I've found one brand in Germany which apparently lets their fruit ripe a lot longer than those which are used for the conventional, sour tasting OJ, and it digests and tastes much better.

ExCarniv

It happened to me with both fresh squeezed and store bought OJ, seems like the body rejects too much acid liquids.

Once I stop the OJ, the reflux goes away, so I stopped the juice for now, no point of force something if your body doesn't agree.

jack_zen

That could definitely be the reason for the reflux. Try finding a better quality OJ that's not sour. I've found one brand in Germany which apparently lets their fruit ripe a lot longer than those which are used for the conventional, sour tasting OJ, and it digests and tastes much better.

which brand is it? I live in Germany too

Herbie

Or just buy better oranges/OJ

It’s not always possible to get fresh sweet oranges or fresh sweet juice. I think most countries have a season of valencia oranges and a season of naval oranges each year and usually the early season oranges are not as sweet yet and there is a peroid of not so sweet oranges depending on weather and so on.

It can be diffucult to get ripe oranges the oranges with green on the skin are overripe for example.

Ray says if he can’t get fresh sweet he buys frozen concentrate or drinks coca cola which has cane sugar.

Last edited:

ExCarniv

It’s not always possible to get fresh sweet oranges or fresh sweet juice. I think most countries have a season of valencia oranges and a season of naval oranges each year and usually the early season oranges are not as sweet yet and there is a peroid of not so sweet oranges depending on weather and so on.

It can be diffucult to get ripe oranges the oranges with green on the skin are overripe for example.

Ray says if he can’t get fresh sweet he buys frozen concentrate or drinks coca cola which has cane sugar.

But not vitamins and minerals, I replaced OJ with bananas and dates, not optimal, but I have no issues with them like I have OJ wich gives me acid reflux whenever I try fresh squeezed or store bought.

M

member 2106

I dilute my OJ with some water. About half and half. That helps.

Inaut

I typically squeeze half and use store bought for the other half with baking soda and some dextrose. Post work out it’s my favourite thing evaaaahhhh

ExCarniv

I typically squeeze half and use store bought for the other half with baking soda and some dextrose. Post work out it’s my favourite thing evaaaahhhh

I drink coconut water with baking soda and dextrose pre, during and post football matches and training, is awesome.

OP
C

Carrum

I may be getting to the bottom of the problem. I had forgotten that I have recently been having jelly (jello in the US) and frozen mango for lunch at work. Earlier this week I didn't eat this and noticed that I didn't have any reflux. The frozen mango is often not very sweet. I'm thinking that maybe it's the mango that is causing the problem? I have also stopped putting collagen powder and BCAA's in the OJ but I doubt they would be causing a problem as they have not done so in the past. I'll add them back this week and see how it goes.
I feel like an idiot for not thinking sooner that it could be the mango causing the problem.

OP
C

Carrum

probably not eating enough calories so your heading down a downward spiral of low stomach acid, so you slowly stop digesting most foods. Id add back milk and rice if I were you and just keep eating past the uncomfortableness until your body starts producing more stomach acid/blood sugar/hormone regulation
Believe me, I would rather put up with reflux than go through what I went through with rice and milk. The rice seemed to be causing a klebsiella overgrowth which led to a very stiff back, confusion and fatigue. The milk was giving me a lot of belly aches as I seem to be lactose intollerant. I knew that I was allergic to A1 milk (I gave up dairy over 20 years ago because of it). It turns out that I am not allergic to A2 milk but I am now lactose intollerant.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals