Cloudy Urine

Mittir

I think that my liver is not in a good state and so my glycogen doesn't go very far. As soon as I have used up the sugar from my bed time snack, I'm immediately going in to the stress cycle as I have very little glycogen.

I think your sleep problem is worsened by Aspirin and Niacinamide due to lack of glycogen.
Aspirin and Niacinamide both inhibits fat oxidation and force body to oxidize glucose .
If you have little glycogen, after few hours of sleep you have to rely on breakdown of protein
for glucose supply. which will greatly increase cortisol. It would be a good idea to increase
your liver's ability to store glycogen before you supplement with Aspirin and Niacinamide.
You can stop these two supplement for few days and see if it improves your sleep.
Also you can try eating sugary food every 2 hours before bed to load up on glycogen.

OP
R

radix

Mittir,

Thanks for that. That crystalises the strategy that I was mulling over. I didn't know about the aspirin and niacinamide though, so I'll definitely give that a go.

Would it be an idea to eat the sugary food with coconut oil in order to help the liver metabolise the sugar?

Mittir

I never tried Coconut oil before bed. I usually eat ice cream, whole Milk + sugar/honey ,
OJ gelatin sugar mix. Lactose in milk is as effective as fructose in repleting glycogen storage.
So, Milk + sugar/honey looks like the best option.
I think eating every few hours replete glycogen better than having
one big sugary intake. Avoiding the insulin spike lowers the possibility
of converting sugar into fat.

OP
R

radix

Do you think that it would be an idea to avoid niacinamide all day, or just after a certain time?

Mittir

radix said:
Do you think that it would be an idea to avoid niacinamide all day, or just after a certain time?

Half life of 1 gram niacinamide is about 3 hours. I would stop taking niacinamide for a week or
until sleep problem is fixed. Deep resting sleep is way more important than anything else.
Once your sleep is fixed, you can start introducing niacinamide slowly until it affect your sleep.
RP mentioned in an interview that 100 mg twice a day was enough to receive
considerable benefit.

OP
R

radix

Great info, thanks.

Yes, I remember the days of good sleep, and everything in life was easy - I didn't know it at the time - only now by comparison.

OP
R

radix

Haagendazendiane said:
In addition to light, milk, sugar, salt, pregnenolone, progesterone and an aspirin, I take a 25 mg benadryl. I never would use such a thing in the past, but since Ray Peat mentioned it's use in some articles, I decided to try it. I have had the best sleep since I started using it.

The active ingredient in Benadryl is cetirizine dihydrochloride. Is it 25mg of this that you take, or do you measure out 25 mg of a benadryl pill/capsule?

The Benadryl that I can get from my local supermarket has 10mg of cetirizine dihydrochloride, but no other information about weights/measures.

EDIT: I just measured the Benadryl tablet and it weighed 116mg.

HDD

The active ingredient is Diphenhydramine HCl , 25 mg. I buy store brands that have same active ingredient as the Benadry brand. They have inactive ingredients that I might starting checking better to try and buy the one with least harmful additives.

OP
R

radix

So that seems to be a different drug to what is called Benadryl here in the UK. I think I'll hold off on taking it until I can sort out that discrepancy. Thanks.

OP
R

radix

From Wikipedia:

"In the United States and Canada, Benadryl products contain the first-generation antihistamine diphenhydramine. In the United Kingdom, Benadryl products contain either the second-generation non-sedating antihistamine acrivastine (marketed as Benadryl Allergy Relief, with a suggested efficacy duration of eight hours) or the long acting antihistamine cetirizine (marketed as Benadryl One a Day Relief). Benadryl products are marketed in Australia and New Zealand by Johnson & Johnson Pacific. They are marketed as cough medicines and do not contain any antihistamine. Each 5 mL of Benadryl Chesty Cough & Nasal Congestion contains 100 mg of guaiphenesin (an expectorant) and 30 mg of pseudoephedrine hydrochloride as the active ingredients."

Maybe I'll just try it and see anyway - if I don't start sleeping soon I may have to go back to the weed....

OP
R

radix

I just went down to the pharmacy and found out that diphenhydramine is in Nytol here in the UK - sold as sleep aid, rather than as an antihistamine.

HDD

I was just about to post that you might be able to use Nytol. Glad you were able to find it.

I was waking up as you are and the antihistamine stopped it. I still sometimes have trouble getting to sleep but it is usually my fault. I don't use the antihistamine every night but when I work the next day or when I am exhausted/overtired.

OP
R

radix

Thanks for the help. I can't wait to see if it works!

jyb

@Haagendazendiane: How did you get the idea of benadryl for sleep, and do you know why it works for insomnia? I know its marketed as a sleep aid, but there are lots of (not legit) sleep aids out there, so I wonder how you got the idea.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Antihistamines make me sleepy. But the downside is they make me sleepy the next day too.

HDD

jyb said:
@Haagendazendiane: How did you get the idea of benadryl for sleep, and do you know why it works for insomnia? I know its marketed as a sleep aid, but there are lots of (not legit) sleep aids out there, so I wonder how you got the idea.

I have a niece who took it for insomnia during stressful period of her life. I used to worry about her using it too much. Nursing homes use it for the elderly and my veterinarian recommended it for my dog. I still would never use any "Meds" until I read a statement by Ray Peat about it possibly preventing MS. When I read that, I decided to try it for sleep. My niece would use 2 - 25 mg and would have some grogginess the next day. I dont get that with using 25 mg. I sleep sound and can sleep longer. I have had some 8 hour nights which I havent had since i was a child. Peat has also mentioned its antihistamine effect in other articles so I decided that it would be ok.

It is marketed here for allergies not sleep. I am not sure why it promotes sleep. Would need to research that.

OP
R

radix

Nytol report:

Well, it knocked me out very well. The feeling of sleepiness was lovely. Normally I never feel sleepy - I only sleep because I know I'm supposed to and it takes an hour to get to sleep. So that was really good. But, I still woke up 3 hours later, as usual. The waking was less fun this time too, as it was adrenaline mixed with confused grogginess. Not good. Now I definitely feel dulled in the mind too.

Back to the drawing board.

Swandattur

I don't get the graph, but it does say the smaller dose would be effective as a sleep aide, whereas a larger dose could make you wired, because it is then blocking other receptors. So, I'm wondering, what is a smaller dose?

OP
R

radix

It also says:
" It also has significant NE and serotonin reuptake blockade."

Does this mean that there is more serotonin in the blood, or floating around to be increase estrogen? Where is serotonin "reuptaked" to?
The article recommends taking a lower dose because of this serotonin effect, saying that it will be stimulatory, perhaps if serotonin reuptake is blocked, then estrogen is lowered and this is what we want, so a higher dose would be warranted?