Ray Peat Interview I Interviewed Dr. Peat 09/09/20

Peatful

thank you to everyone for the insights and comments. I'm still new to this (podcasting) so hopefully they'll get better and better from here on out.

I've been investigating health, herbalism, survival, "alternative" history, politics, ancient medicine and philosophy for the last 10+ years so I have quite a diverse group of guests lined up.

But I'm sure you'll all see/hear some familiar faces too.

If all goes as planned and the world doesn't burn to the ground Ray will hopefully be back in late October :sweatsmile:
As someone stated above- being a good listener and not interrupting made you great!
Excellent podcast. Excellent.

Kvothe

Nice. He said in this interview that sufficient protein intake is probably "way down around 30g" when everything else is right. It's nice to see that he's moving away from some of his earlier recommendations like 70g minimum, or even ridiculous amounts like 120g. Eating a low protein diet does everything that Ray has been talking about for all those years. Increasing the metabolic rate, minimizing cortisol, enhancing carbohydrate oxidation, extending life span, and so on.

Lollipop2

As someone stated above- being a good listener and not interrupting made you great!
Excellent podcast. Excellent.
+1 Allowing Ray the space to fully answer is actually important because he makes so many connections in one answer. I think the Politics and Science interviews also give him space and Roddy’s at times. Another thing @RealNeat really listening to what Ray says and responding is great, it can take the conversation deeper. Thank you.

OP
RealNeat

RealNeat

+1 Allowing Ray the space to fully answer is actually important because he makes so many connections in one answer. I think the Politics and Science interviews also give him space and Roddy’s at times. Another thing @RealNeat really listening to what Ray says and responding is great, it can take the conversation deeper. Thank you.
Thanks everyone, yes some of my favorite RP interviews are the P&S interviews. I always liked the way John Barkhausen conducted the interviews with plenty of time for Ray to connect all the dots. It can be tricky to get the timing of the Qs right but with patience Ray answers like 20 questions in one hah. I believe Danny is also conscious of it but his internet lag can make it seem like he's interrupting when he isn't.

OP
RealNeat

RealNeat

Nice. He said in this interview that sufficient protein intake is probably "way down around 30g" when everything else is right. It's nice to see that he's moving away from some of his earlier recommendations like 70g minimum, or even ridiculous amounts like 120g. Eating a low protein diet does everything that Ray has been talking about for all those years. Increasing the metabolic rate, minimizing cortisol, enhancing carbohydrate oxidation, extending life span, and so on.

To my understanding it's the restriction of specific amino acids and iron restriction that has most of those benefits instead of protein as a whole. I worked with Dr. Adiel Tel Oren who is pretty big on restricting protein quite low, he has some good lectures. It did always seem a bit reductionist however, as exceptions do exist along with the context of what each protein source contains other than just amino acids.

Kvothe

To my understanding it's the restriction of specific amino acids and iron restriction that has most of those benefits instead of protein as a whole. I worked with Dr. Adiel Tel Oren who is pretty big on restricting protein quite low, he has some good lectures. It did always seem a bit reductionist however, as exceptions do exist along with the context of what each protein source contains other than just amino acids.

I think it's not just the amino acids Peat usually mentions (Tr, Met, Cys). For example, BCAAs have been shown to directly favor insulin resistance, and the heightened insulin sensitivity in LPHC diets is usually attributed to their reduction. The only way to avoid the most important amino acids while still eating a large amount of total protein would be to eat a very large amount of gelatin. I think this isn't practical, and gelatine has potential downsides that make it unlikely as a safe staple food.
Also, it is not just the amino acids themselves that are problematic. Many people with health issues have incomplete digestion, and don't have sufficient quantities of the enzymes required to fully absorb proteins. Many proteins can yield toxic peptides (the dreaded BCM-7 is no special exception) when incompletely digested and absorbed. The toxic potential of excess peptides and amino acids is why protein intake is associated with colitis, and blocks efficient recovery. For a healthy person something in the range of 70-100g might be no problem, but for many sick people such amounts can be detrimental. Eating 120g+ is simply crazy.

Sheila

Dear RealNeat,
An excellent interview, many thanks for doing this.
So helpful to hear Dr Peat talk things through and make myriad connections.
Your interviewing technique and asking of intelligent questions was excellent.
All the best to you
Sheila.

OP
RealNeat

RealNeat

Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe Ray said Flu virus instead of Flu vaccine at 22:26 and Polio Virus instead of Polio vaccine at 24:03 unintentionally.

Ill have to leave a note on the videos so misunderstandings don't happen as a result.

OP
RealNeat

RealNeat

OP
RealNeat

RealNeat

I finished a 2.5 hour interview with Dr. Peat, to be released in a few weeks.

OP
RealNeat

RealNeat

Second part to my interview with Ray has come out today for those interested.

Jem Oz

I think it's not just the amino acids Peat usually mentions (Tr, Met, Cys). For example, BCAAs have been shown to directly favor insulin resistance, and the heightened insulin sensitivity in LPHC diets is usually attributed to their reduction. The only way to avoid the most important amino acids while still eating a large amount of total protein would be to eat a very large amount of gelatin. I think this isn't practical, and gelatine has potential downsides that make it unlikely as a safe staple food.
Also, it is not just the amino acids themselves that are problematic. Many people with health issues have incomplete digestion, and don't have sufficient quantities of the enzymes required to fully absorb proteins. Many proteins can yield toxic peptides (the dreaded BCM-7 is no special exception) when incompletely digested and absorbed. The toxic potential of excess peptides and amino acids is why protein intake is associated with colitis, and blocks efficient recovery. For a healthy person something in the range of 70-100g might be no problem, but for many sick people such amounts can be detrimental. Eating 120g+ is simply crazy.
And just like that, I'm back to being confused about protein intake. Lots of people on this forum advocate/eat high amounts, some 150+....

One thing I will say: since upping my protein intake, I've become Captain Static Electricity. (Not the super hero I was hoping for).

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals