I Drink 1 Glass Of Milk And 1 Glass Of OJ And I Feel Tired. What Is Causing This?

Can anyone tell me what would cause this? I drink 15oz of OJ and 15oz of milk, both unpasturized, and I feel tired like a sugar crash. Is it from too much protein causing low blood sugar or too much sugar causing an insulin release? What can I do about this? This happened to me 3 times today at work and I almost fell asleep.

tara

I'm sure there are many possibilities. Here are a few I can think of:

Are you getting enough good sleep at night?
If not, it could be that the milk and OJ are doing you good, reducing stress hormones, and allowing you to relax and sleep.
In which case, attending to getting enough sleep each night may help. And taking a nap when you get so tired, if you have the opportunity.

For some people, esp. if hypothyroid, that much fluid is too much in one go. (For some people it would probably be fine.) It could also depend on the time of day, and how calorie dense the rest of your diet was that day. You could try drinking no more than 200ml at a time, but more often, and see if that helps.

It doesn't look like too much protein:sugar to me, at least for most people.
Whether it's too much sugar in one go depends on how you are handling sugar. I can't remember your history - don't remember if this is normal amounts for you, or if you have posted relevant data. If you are out of the habit of consuming this much sugar in one go, your system may take a bit to adapt. If this is the case, smaller amounts at a sitting may be better for now.

Does this always happen when you drink OJ and/or milk? Maybe you have an intolerance to one of them in the form you drank. Sometimes people are sensitive to some kinds of milk but not others. Personally, I don't handle commercial OJ unless I add baking soda - I assume too much acid, maybe citric acid specifically, from unripe oranges. I can sometimes get fuzzy headed from too much milk - I'm not the only one, but many people are fine with it.

LucH

mayweatherking said:
post 98931 an anyone tell me what would cause this? I drink 15oz of OJ and 15oz of milk
sugar => insulin peak.
milk has an very bad insulin cotation. II 70 but only IG30.
You should stop drinking both together.
450 ml (15 oz) OJ is too much. Eat an orange, with fibbers, and you'll see the difference.
I 'd take an orange fruit, 2 slices of bacon fried in one tsp coconut oil and 2 lightly fried eggs. 3 times a week.
If still hungry, take oat with almond milk (home made). No rice milk! (IG 70 - 85). Add pieces of apple.

Glycemic Index (GI)
Almond milk: 20 to 30
Oat milk (uncooked): 30 (otherwise 40).
Quinoa Milk: 40 (?)
Rice Milk: 85
Soy milk: 30
Coconut milk: 40
Cow milk: 27 to 32 (whole or skim). But the insulinaemic Index is 70 !!! for cow's milk. (II varies from 60 to 90 depending on the context, often 70).
source : Michel Montignac

Note: glycemic load is decisive, except in special cases (insuline peak whith fermented cheese, yoghurt)
:hattip
LucH

Last edited by a moderator:

paymanz

was you hungry for it or forced yourself to eat them ?i ask because it happened to me to force myself to eat good food when im not hungry(or im hungry but have no appetite for those specific foods) and it results always to have low energy and bad effects from good foods!

CoolTweetPete

LucH said:
post 98948
mayweatherking said:
post 98931 an anyone tell me what would cause this? I drink 15oz of OJ and 15oz of milk
sugar => insulin peak.
milk has an very bad insulin cotation. II 70 but only IG30.
You should stop drinking both together.
450 ml (15 oz) OJ is too much. Eat an orange, with fibbers, and you'll see the difference.
I 'd take an orange fruit, 2 slices of bacon fried in one tsp coconut oil and 2 lightly fried eggs. 3 times a week.
If still hungry, take oat with almond milk (home made). No rice milk! (IG 70 - 85). Add pieces of apple.

Glycemic Index (GI)
Almond milk: 20 to 30
Oat milk (uncooked): 30 (otherwise 40).
Quinoa Milk: 40 (?)
Rice Milk: 85
Soy milk: 30
Coconut milk: 40
Cow milk: 27 to 32 (whole or skim). But the insulinaemic Index is 70 !!! for cow's milk. (II varies from 60 to 90 depending on the context, often 70).
source : Michel Montignac

Note: glycemic load is decisive, except in special cases (insuline peak whith fermented cheese, yoghurt)
:hattip
LucH

Doesn't Peat discount glycemic index as irrelevant? Not to say you're incorrect in your assessment, just curious what you believe the mechanism behind this experience mayweatherking had could be, GI aside.

"The degenerative diseases that are associated with hyperglycemia and commonly called diabetes, are only indirectly related to insulin, and as an approach to understanding or treating diabetes, the “glycemic index” of foods is useless. Physiologically, it has no constructive use, and very little meaning." - RP

nikotrope

mayweatherking said:
Can anyone tell me what would cause this? I drink 15oz of OJ and 15oz of milk, both unpasturized, and I feel tired like a sugar crash. Is it from too much protein causing low blood sugar or too much sugar causing an insulin release? What can I do about this? This happened to me 3 times today at work and I almost fell asleep.

You should drink it slowly, like it should take you at least 30 minutes to drink all this. You should also eat salty things with it or add sugar, in itself milk and OJ are not dense enough. In my experience too much cold fluids can also trigger tiredness (not a problem if you drink it slowly).

Daimyo

Chekck your temperature and pulse before you drink and after you drink it (when you feel tired).

It might be as tara said: Sugar is relaxing you, lowering corisole and adrenaline, showing how your metabolism look like when you are not stimulated by stress hormones. That' will sugest hypothyroidism, especially if your temp is going down.

It might be that it's too much fluids.

tara

paymanz said:
post 98950 was you hungry for it or forced yourself to eat them ?i ask because it happened to me to force myself to eat good food when im not hungry(or im hungry but have no appetite for those specific foods) and it results always to have low energy and bad effects from good foods!
Good point.

jyb

mayweatherking said:
post 98931 Can anyone tell me what would cause this? I drink 15oz of OJ and 15oz of milk, both unpasturized, and I feel tired like a sugar crash. Is it from too much protein causing low blood sugar or too much sugar causing an insulin release? What can I do about this? This happened to me 3 times today at work and I almost fell asleep.

Sleepiness is not necessarily indicative of low blood sugar. It could just as well be the opposite, in my experience. And I don't think drinking milk alone (without any OJ) should lower your blood sugar - milk already has a lot of glucose. Probably a lot more than enough not to ever experience low blood glucose. In fact even protein without any sugar may have zero effect on your blood sugar - just because some proteins trigger insulin response does not mean your blood sugar will decrease. Studies I've seen don't indicate much effect on blood glucose. If you don't believe me, I suggest you experiment with a blood glucose test strip. As for milk (without any OJ) - measure your blood glucose 30-60 minutes after drinking a large glass of milk - it will be high not low. I don't know what happens if you add lots of sugar or OJ to milk - not everyone experiences a hyper followed by hypo glycaemia "crash".

Shin

Sorry to bump an old thread, but I always have the same reaction milk or coffee with sugar makes me very tired and lazy (because of the adrenaline lowering effect).
Is there anyone on here who had the same experience and with time they felt VERY energized after eating peat style?

This is just not productive at all in my life, can't get anything done when I'am tired from eating all the time...

Sorry to bump an old thread, but I always have the same reaction milk or coffee with sugar makes me very tired and lazy (because of the adrenaline lowering effect).
Is there anyone on here who had the same experience and with time they felt VERY energized after eating peat style?

This is just not productive at all in my life, can't get anything done when I'am tired from eating all the time...

I don't think you have to jump in the deep end right off the bat like that. Milk and OJ did not make me feel good, so I don't do it. I've been doing well so far by having 1 cup of dairy and 1 cup of OJ with each meal, and eating frequent, starchy meals.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals