1 Fish oil = 1 glass of milk

Lance12

A normal daily capsule of fish oil, 1200mg, is about equal to one cup of whole milk. I know that Ray says you cannot avoid pufas but a normal fish oil doesn't seem to make any real difference. I would think the real danger would be eating things like flax seed and walnuts, yet, Ray hardly even mentions these foods except the seed oil companies. Ray even recommends to consume at least 3 liters of milk and I know some Athletes here consume a lot of whole milk.

I really don't see what the fuss is about fish oil, besides Rays science behind PUFA. I have even seen milk companies adding fish oil into whole milk itself and avoid putting it in the 1% type, which I think with their logic you would add it to the low fat milk. And just about every doctor recommends omega-3.

I also know Ray lists a lot of sources in his work but who has time to go through all that? I have even seen some nutritionist who exclusively piggy back off of Ray Peats work. I mean come on, is there really nobody else who you can reference besides Ray and all the other nutritionists who follow Ray? Not going to name anyone but I have found several.

I'm not defending fish oil at all, there is just a lot of contradicting information out there and would like to know what others think about it. I have noticed positive improvements in my health with Ray but also some negatives, probably due to misinformation and lack of information.

Some problems were with the type of milk I was drinking, yet Ray says just drink any old milk. For example the organic fish oil milk... or the pasteurized milk, this stuff made me have blurry vision and slowed my overall mental ability, even left a numb feeling in my stomach. Yet when I drink whole milk I feel happy and can think clearly. I had a allergy panel done too and dairy was the highest reaction, yet my acne almost cleared up completely while drinking it. The only thing I notice is blurry vision and forgetfulness sometimes when I drink none local milk. Also I tried progesterone because someone listed that as a supplement with no side effect except when I took it gave me man boobs and a shrunken right testicle. Still recovering from that or it could be some kind of infection.

But yeah, what's the deal with fish oil.

tara

Lance12 said:
I really don't see what the fuss is about fish oil, besides Rays science behind PUFA.

:lol:
Yeah, aside from the fact that it has been shown to be metabolic poison in several ways, what are we worried about? I mean, everyone's gotta die sometime, right? So why delay it?

There are a few minor differences between a capsule of fish oil and a glass of milk. Like that milk is a food that can supply useful amounts of several nutrients in a relatively balanced, good tasting food, whereas fish oil probably does not provide anything useful, only metabolic poison.

Peat does not say just drink any old milk. He says drink milk that doesn't upset your system. He has mentioned that some people are bothered by the additives in some milk, and some people may react allergically to milk depending on what the cow has eaten, and some people find it easier to digest pasteurised or ultrapasteurised milk. He says to find milk that you can drink (without it bothering you), and drink that. If some kinds mess you up, try a different kind. I was not aware of any companies adding fish oil to milk, but if it is true, I'm sure Peat would advise against it.

I'd suggest reading more than one person saying a supplement had no side effects before leaping into using them. If you read Peat's articles, and a wider range of forum threads, you're likely to get more of a picture of the possibilities. Just because a single person on the forum asserts something doesn't mean you have to immediately trust your life to it. I have no expertise on men taking progesterone, but there are several threads on it, and they reflect various experiences. Progesterone is not always recommended for men, and seldom in large quantities.

If you haven't read it, I'd recommend:
http://raypeat.com/articles/articles/fishoil.shtml

tara

PS. I shifted this thread into the appropriate section for debating Peat's ideas.

natedawggh

A normal daily capsule of fish oil, 1200mg, is about equal to one cup of whole milk. I know that Ray says you cannot avoid pufas but a normal fish oil doesn't seem to make any real difference. I would think the real danger would be eating things like flax seed and walnuts, yet, Ray hardly even mentions these foods except the seed oil companies. Ray even recommends to consume at least 3 liters of milk and I know some Athletes here consume a lot of whole milk.

I really don't see what the fuss is about fish oil, besides Rays science behind PUFA. I have even seen milk companies adding fish oil into whole milk itself and avoid putting it in the 1% type, which I think with their logic you would add it to the low fat milk. And just about every doctor recommends omega-3.

I also know Ray lists a lot of sources in his work but who has time to go through all that? I have even seen some nutritionist who exclusively piggy back off of Ray Peats work. I mean come on, is there really nobody else who you can reference besides Ray and all the other nutritionists who follow Ray? Not going to name anyone but I have found several.

I'm not defending fish oil at all, there is just a lot of contradicting information out there and would like to know what others think about it. I have noticed positive improvements in my health with Ray but also some negatives, probably due to misinformation and lack of information.

Some problems were with the type of milk I was drinking, yet Ray says just drink any old milk. For example the organic fish oil milk... or the pasteurized milk, this stuff made me have blurry vision and slowed my overall mental ability, even left a numb feeling in my stomach. Yet when I drink whole milk I feel happy and can think clearly. I had a allergy panel done too and dairy was the highest reaction, yet my acne almost cleared up completely while drinking it. The only thing I notice is blurry vision and forgetfulness sometimes when I drink none local milk. Also I tried progesterone because someone listed that as a supplement with no side effect except when I took it gave me man boobs and a shrunken right testicle. Still recovering from that or it could be some kind of infection.

But yeah, what's the deal with fish oil.

Fish PUFAs are not the same kind of PUFAS that are in milk.

schultz

A normal daily capsule of fish oil, 1200mg, is about equal to one cup of whole milk. I know that Ray says you cannot avoid pufas but a normal fish oil doesn't seem to make any real difference.

I think what you're saying is that a capsule of fish oil doesn't have that much PUFA? This is true, but what's the point of even taking it, especially since you have to purchase it? If you want to take fish oil, why not just eat fatty fish? At least you'll get protein and micro nutrients with it.

The only benefit to fish oil is that it suppresses the immune system and competes with Omega-6 in ways. In the short term this could be perceived as a good thing by lowering inflammation and suppressing immune responses (like using cortisone cream on the skin). However, omega-3 has it's own problems like raising acrolein and neuroprostanes. I personally don't want lipid peroxidation products from omega-3 in my brain. It has its faults, but I like my brain. :banghead:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2683896/
"The shorter chain acrolein (Acr)-, crotonaldehyde- and pentenal-dG adducts are the major products from oxidized ω-3 PUFAs, whereas the longer chain heptenal- and 4-hydroxy-2-nonenal (HNE)-dG adducts are exclusively formed by ω-6 PUFAs."

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17954232
"DHA can undergo oxidation both in vitro and in vivo resulting in the formation of a series of F2-IsoP-like molecules termed
F4-neuroprostanes"

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15037157
"We have shown increased levels of IsoPs, NeuroPs, and IsoFs in diseased regions of brain from patients who died from advanced Alzheimer's disease (AD) or Parkinson's disease (PD). Increased cerebrospinal fluid (CSF) levels of IsoPs are present in patients with AD or Huntington's disease (HD) early in the course of their illness, and CSF IsoPs may improve the laboratory diagnostic accuracy for AD."

michael94

If you are very inflamed progesterone can be preferentially taken down estrogen/cortisol pathways. I would say to take a smaller dose or drop it altogether.

etiocholanolone-hormone-pathway.png

Regarding milk quality, pasteurization is not so much an issue as homogenization which breaks up the fat globules and the overall structure of the milk and can be more allergenic. No Homogenization + not being grain fed are incredibly important with regards to milk's nutritional value and healing effects.