Starting To Hate Sugar

lampofred

I'm getting more and more disgusted by sweet things for some reason. I used to love milk with sugar when I started following Peat but now even milk by itself is too sweet for me. Orange juice is too sweet, apples and blueberries are too sweet, etc. Coke is still good but that's because I enjoy mainly the carbonation. Coke is the only source of sugar I can still stand. I can't drink milk and OJ without wanting to throw up, and I drink my coffee black now.

On the other hand, I'm not sick of starch (potatoes, rice), so it's just the fructose that I don't like anymore. I also have a mild craving for fries/fried chicken with ketchup. Basically deep fried and salty food in general. I'm thinking about just going for it because as much as I like and trust Peat, I trust my cravings more.

What does it mean that I don't like fructose anymore? Is my sugar oxidation getting worse?

X3CyO

Youre probably just deficient in a certain mineral or vitamin if youre adding in extra sugar.

It could also be a salt deficiency due to too much liquid intake. That used to be my primary problem.

Last edited:

FredSonoma

Me too, can't even eat Chocolate Haagen Daaz. Must have ate way too much sugar for too long. I find subbing with Maple Syrup helps. Also I think my personal cause is insufficient Zinc.

I crave fructose more when I'm in a warm climate.

On the other hand, I'm not sick of starch (potatoes, rice)

Of course you're not because the human being is a starchivore. If you're sick of fruit and you didn't want starch then your options for carbohydrate would be very limited. We require a few hundred grams of carbohydrate every single day. Starch is more satiating than fruit and lactose.

I also have a mild craving for fries/fried chicken with ketchup. Basically deep fried and salty food in general.

Everyone craves those foods all the time because those are the most pleasurable foods. Having them occasionally shouldn't do much. The key is avoiding them enough to deter problems.

Luann

Do you live in the US, lampofred?
If not you should come over. We just had our first "Pepsi Zero Sugar Halftime Show" for the super bowl.
Ick.

tara

I wouldn't force sugar if it tastes bad to you at the moment - could mean some part of you system has got enough of it for the time being. I seem to crave starchy foods too if I don't eat them regularly/try to run on mainly sugars. And I like occasional fried foods in coconut oil or beef fat or butter.

Wagner83

When you mention simple sugars you seem to refer mostly to liquids, several people have reported such diets were not optimal.

encerent

I couldn't eat all sugary carbs or all salty starchy carbs. My cravings always make me want to eat some of both.

WestCoaster

You know the body is very adept at balance and notifying us of what we need or don't need. If it's making you disgusted with eating sugar, don't eat sugar, only bad can come from it. The better question is, if you actually fasted say 12-24hrs, what exactly would your body want?

OP
L

lampofred

You know the body is very adept at balance and notifying us of what we need or don't need. If it's making you disgusted with eating sugar, don't eat sugar, only bad can come from it. The better question is, if you actually fasted say 12-24hrs, what exactly would your body want?

French fries. I want french fries so badly. Greasy, re-fried curly fries from Jack in the Box dripping with oil. Screw butter and saturated fat.

kaybb

I have read on the forum that tallow (beef fat) is a good choice for frying.

Also, I love sugar --ice cream, OJ, chocolate, Pepsi, fruit....but I can get sore throats and colds/ sick like symptoms sometimes from the sweet food :/ I wish I didn't love it so much. And I don't understand why, when it's so peaty.

michael94

Excellent advice!

Tenacity

I have read on the forum that tallow (beef fat) is a good choice for frying.

Also, I love sugar --ice cream, OJ, chocolate, Pepsi, fruit....but I can get sore throats and colds/ sick like symptoms sometimes from the sweet food :/ I wish I didn't love it so much. And I don't understand why, when it's so peaty.

Sounds like some of these foods might be allergenic to you.

kaybb

Sounds like some of these foods might be allergenic to you.
Never thought of that because at times I am just fine. No symptoms at all, for long periods of time. I have been eating more Ray Peat for a year and a half, and this back and forth continues to happen. Maybe I need charcoal.

lvysaur

If you crave something, just eat it IMO

Fried fish is so much better than fried chicken though

Peat Moss

.but I can get sore throats and colds/ sick like symptoms sometimes from the sweet food :/ I wish I didn't love it so much. And I don't understand why, when it's so peaty.

I thought that was a common thing with most everyone, but I guess many others don't have that problem? Having high doses of sugar seems like it can feed potential colds or something. But it only happened to me when I used to eat junk food sugar from soda and the like. Maybe it's just multiplying the pathogenic bacteria in the mouth and throat. Do you also feel like if you compound sweet thing after sweet thing after sweet thing, you really want to balance out by having something savory and salty?

To the OP, I feel like just alternating between sweet and fatty/salty/savory back and forth can let you eat the sweets all day (especially if the sweets are more natural foods like fruits and juice). Like eating salty corn chips fried in coconut oil or high oleic sunflower, maybe with some spicy salsa and mashed avocado. Stuff like that might make gorging on oranges or melons that much more satisfying.

kaybb

I thought that was a common thing with most everyone, but I guess many others don't have that problem? Having high doses of sugar seems like it can feed potential colds or something. But it only happened to me when I used to eat junk food sugar from soda and the like. Maybe it's just multiplying the pathogenic bacteria in the mouth and throat. Do you also feel like if you compound sweet thing after sweet thing after sweet thing, you really want to balance out by having something savory and salty?

To the OP, I feel like just alternating between sweet and fatty/salty/savory back and forth can let you eat the sweets all day (especially if the sweets are more natural foods like fruits and juice). Like eating salty corn chips fried in coconut oil or high oleic sunflower, maybe with some spicy salsa and mashed avocado. Stuff like that might make gorging on oranges or melons that much more satisfying.
I haven't found a lot of posts from people that have this problem. And I do eat a variety of Peat food, not sweat upon sweet. I get satisfied pretty easy but I like some sweet every day. I am fighting cold symptoms again right now. It's worse when my insomnia is worse, therefore more fatigued than my normal fatigue. Thanks for you suggestions, I am going to pay attention to the salty and spicey foods.

Birdie

If I feel a cold coming on, it helps me to have a plan outlined on the medicine cabinet door. I took several Peat suggestions and made a list. Then, if I feel something coming on, I use stuff on the list, put the date down and the results. So far so good. I don't find mine relate to sugar but fatigue would be a possible cause for me.

Birdie

I'm getting more and more disgusted by sweet things for some reason. I used to love milk with sugar when I started following Peat but now even milk by itself is too sweet for me. Orange juice is too sweet, apples and blueberries are too sweet, etc. Coke is still good but that's because I enjoy mainly the carbonation. Coke is the only source of sugar I can still stand. I can't drink milk and OJ without wanting to throw up, and I drink my coffee black now.

On the other hand, I'm not sick of starch (potatoes, rice), so it's just the fructose that I don't like anymore. I also have a mild craving for fries/fried chicken with ketchup. Basically deep fried and salty food in general. I'm thinking about just going for it because as much as I like and trust Peat, I trust my cravings more.

What does it mean that I don't like fructose anymore? Is my sugar oxidation getting worse?
I have been wanting cake. My cravings aren't too trustworthy though. I look for ways to deal with them that are still semi-Peat. I have cravings when I don't eat often enough. Keeping the coffee/milk/sugar going helps me keep from getting cravings.

Fruit hasn't appealed to me for a while (winter?), but I still have some oj in the morning and apple juice later on. Small amounts with other food and that seems fine. I make apple sauce and eat that every day. Still like it. Have it warm with a teaspoon of H-D ice cream in afternoon.

I was going through not wanting plain sugar. So, I used a lot of maple syrup. Also, made up a jar of vanilla sugar with a vanilla bean. And a jar of cinnamon sugar. That's worked pretty well. Right now I have maple syrup, vanilla sugar and a little cinnamon sugar in my coffee.

I don't eat nightshades, so potatoes are out, but I have a little short grain white rice. I keep it made up in the fridge and take 1/8 to 1/4 cup with other food. Or make Shepherd's Pie, but with very little of the rice. Helps satisfy. Oh, yeah, always like Coke. But irked over price increase and have about 1 a week now.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals