Does Processed Sugar Use Magnesium?

Parsifal

Member
Joined
Aug 6, 2015
Messages
1,073
I've read that it takes 28 molecules of magnesium to metabolize a single glucose molecule : http://www.westonaprice.org/health-topi ... magnesium/

It's true that I"ve noticed anytime I've tried coke, sweet drinks or even milk with added sugar (if I drink too much of it because there is loads of minerals in it) I will start getting eyelids twitching.

Not sure now if pure sucrose is that good for health. For example, with all the calcium we are eating and without enough magnesium, it might not be so good for calcifications right? :hattip
 

tara

Member
Joined
Mar 29, 2014
Messages
10,325
Does processed sugar uses magnesium?

28 molecules of Mg for one molecule of sugar seems like a lot - don't know that that's right. But I believe it is correct that some magnesium is required. If you are eating/drinking a lot of refined sucrose, I think it is probably important to get minerals including magnesium from other sources to help metabolise it. Potassium is also required, and other things in smaller quantities. And yes, you also need magnesium to use calcium well, and not to have it causing trouble in teh wrong places.

People with low thyroid function apparently lose Mg faster. Peat says eating salt helps retain Mg. Food sources of Mg include leafy greens, coffee, and some other fruits and veges. Peat usually recommends fruit and milk as major carb sources in part because they bring useful minerals along with them.

There are threads discussing people's experience with different forms of supplementation, oral and transdermal. A common recommendation is 400mg Mg /day, and Peat has said that is probably reasonable. People with strong metabolisms may get away with less. Some people say they benefit from more.
 
D

Derek

Guest
Does processed sugar uses magnesium?

White sugar causes you to waste most vitamins and minerals; mainly B-Vitamins, Potassium, Magnesium, Zinc and manganese. Sugar raises CO2 in the blood, you need bicarbonates to buffer it; so your body dips into your alkaline mineral stores. You eat sugar it increases the pancreas's production of insulin, which is dependent on zinc and manganese; so you can see how sugar depletes you of minerals. BTW, it has nothing to do with an increased metabolic rate. Sugar just puts a strain on your body causing you to waste minerals/vitamins in order to process it. You mentioned sugared milk, lets look at the pancreas. Calcium depletes you of zinc. Sugar depletes you of manganese and zinc. Pancreas needs zinc/manganese to produce insulin. You can see how sugared milk is death to the pancreas.

Also, if sugar wastes magnesium, one could should wonder if it's really pro-thyroid as everyone says. Ray says thyroid/good metabolic rate allow the body to retain magnesium, hypothyroidism causes people to waste magnesium; so what does that make you think of white sugar?
 

Daimyo

Member
Joined
Mar 31, 2014
Messages
252
Location
Europe/SE Asia
Parsifal said:
post 113279 I've read that it takes 28 molecules of magnesium to metabolize a single glucose molecule : http://www.westonaprice.org/health-topi ... magnesium/

If you raise your metabolism thanks to white sugar, then you will not waste as much magnesium, so even if you use up more magnesium while eating sugar, then it probably won't change your magnesium status, but u did raised your metabolism :D

Anyway I think thous numbers (28 "molecules" of Mg) are pull out of someone's ass. Let's run some numbers:

Sucrose weight is 342 g/mol
Mg atom weight is 24 g/mol

So if you eat... let's say 100 gram of sugar, you would need something like 196 grams of Mg to "process" that sugar.

We are talking about magnesium, not magnesium compounds. One would have to absorb about 2 kg of Epsom Salt (Magnesium Sulfate heptahydrate), just to get the Mg to process 100 g of sugar.


Saying that, it's better to get your energy from fruit, honey etc. as they contain minerals to process them. Parsifal, you will probably get benefits from getting more Mg, especially if your muscles are twitching after sugar.

Get a 25 kg bag of Mg Sulfate (in your local agriculture shop) - it should cost about 10-20$, get some baths, make magnesium oil (it's quick and easy to apply it everyday). I personally use Yara Kristal brand. It's nice, good and it works.
 
Last edited by a moderator:

sugarbabe

Member
Joined
Sep 13, 2012
Messages
3,338
But if you are adding sugar to milk, or drinking a coke with potatoes, then you are getting the minerals. I can see how adding sugar to an already crappy diet will lead to issues, but log your food, if you are drinking milk you are getting plenty of minerals... add in some b vitamins topical mag and you aren't going to get deficiencies . I am slowly but surely getting better... despite the coke and added sugar in my milk. I don't get the twtiching episodes I used to get, I don't get up at night to pee like most older adults. And I don't get sick. Both my kids had a cold recently and I didn't get it at all. So where's the truth to the statement sugar impairs your immune system? High cortisol leads to sickness, sugar lowers cortisol. Boom.
 

tara

Member
Joined
Mar 29, 2014
Messages
10,325
Derek said:
post 113356 Sugar raises CO2 in the blood, you need bicarbonates to buffer it; so your body dips into your alkaline mineral stores.
This makes sense to me.

Daimyo said:
post 113414 Anyway I think thous numbers (28 "molecules" of Mg) are pull out of someone's ass. Let's run some numbers:

Sucrose weight is 342 g/mol
Mg atom weight is 24 g/mol

So if you eat... let's say 100 gram of sugar, you would need something like 196 grams of Mg to "process" that sugar.
:)

Daimyo said:
post 113414 Saying that, it's better to get your energy from fruit, honey etc. as they contain minerals to process them. Parsifal, you will probably get benefits from getting more Mg, especially if your muscles are twitching after sugar.
:1
 
Last edited by a moderator:
D

Derek

Guest
Janelle525 said:
post 113438 High cortisol leads to sickness, sugar lowers cortisol. Boom.

Unfortunately, things are not as simple as that statement. The body is infinitely more complex, and it isn't wise to look at hormones in a good/bad context. Cortisol actually is pro-thyroid, zinc is pro-thyroid. Cortisol is usually high from zinc deficiency. When you're deficient in zinc, thyroid goes down, body increases cortisol to raise temp/metabolic rate. You take zinc and it lowers cortisol, why? Because it corrected the metabolism and the root cause of why you had high cortisol in the first place. Sugar lowers cortisol and also depletes you of zinc, so in this context sugar lowers metabolism; unless you eat tons of red meat to compensate for your sugar intake!
 
Last edited by a moderator:

nograde

Member
Joined
Oct 21, 2013
Messages
133
Magnesium is not a molecule that gets somehow degraded during "processing" sugar. An element does not magically disappear unless you do nuclear fusion or fission inside your body, which I doubt. Only if you can show increased excretion upon sugar consumption your balance gets negative. However as Peat said, an increased metabolism will help you to RETAIN magnesium ...
 

sugarbabe

Member
Joined
Sep 13, 2012
Messages
3,338
But then I would have high cortisol then right?? I don't take zinc, I eat red meat maybe 2-3 times a week, but I get plenty of zinc from dairy as well. I know I need more zinc though as sometimes I do feel high cortisol, and a bit of zinc at night does help sleep. But my sleep has only gotten better. I am also still breastfeeding and using up minerals that way....
 

sugarbabe

Member
Joined
Sep 13, 2012
Messages
3,338
Also one thing that has been cool to see lately, is age spots on my shoulders from years of sunburns... literally drying up and falling off. They've been there since I was young... its almost as if hm... I'm getting younger?? :D I drink soda.. I add sugar to milk.
 
D

Derek

Guest
Janelle525 said:
post 113449 But then I would have high cortisol then right?? I don't take zinc, I eat red meat maybe 2-3 times a week, but I get plenty of zinc from dairy as well. I know I need more zinc though as sometimes I do feel high cortisol, and a bit of zinc at night does help sleep. But my sleep has only gotten better. I am also still breastfeeding and using up minerals that way....

I don't understand what you're saying here?
 
Last edited by a moderator:

sugarbabe

Member
Joined
Sep 13, 2012
Messages
3,338
I'm saying shouldn't I have high cortisol if all the sugar I'm eating is causing a zinc deficiency?
 
D

Derek

Guest
Janelle525 said:
post 113459 I'm saying shouldn't I have high cortisol if all the sugar I'm eating is causing a zinc deficiency?

Sugar lowers cortisol, I agree with you on that. So no if your eating sugar your cortisol will not be high. I'm just saying that it makes the root cause of your high cortisol (zinc deficiency) worse. Zinc deficiency causes hypothyroidism, then cortisol rises, this is a protective adaptation by your body in order to increase temps/pulse. Taking sugar lowers cortisol, basically making you hypothyroid, and even more zinc deficient. So over time this can cause serious issues. I have seen this with fruitarians and high carb vegan/vegetarians. Now, you are probably much better off seeing as you eat meat routinely, I was just explaining the relationship between cortisol/sugar/thyroid/zinc.
 
Last edited by a moderator:

sugarbabe

Member
Joined
Sep 13, 2012
Messages
3,338
Derek said:
post 113465

Sugar lowers cortisol, I agree with you on that. So no if your eating sugar your cortisol will not be high. I'm just saying that it makes the root cause of your high cortisol (zinc deficiency) worse. Zinc deficiency causes hypothyroidism, then cortisol rises, this is a protective adaptation by your body in order to increase temps/pulse. Taking sugar lowers cortisol, basically making you hypothyroid, and even more zinc deficient. So over time this can cause serious issues. I have seen this with fruitarians and high carb vegan/vegetarians. Now, you are probably much better off seeing as you eat meat routinely, I was just explaining the relationship between cortisol/sugar/thyroid/zinc.

By the way I like what you have to say about minerals, I think balancing minerals is essential to healing, there may be more than one way to go about it though. Yes living off mainly fruit is an experiment that has not been carried out long enough so back to the whole foods... I think if someone wants to do refined carbs they have to add it on top of a high nutrient diet, but even in studies of people with chronic disease, high carb diets have been shown beneficial. See: http://rawfoodsos.com/2015/10/06/in-defense-of-low-fat-a-call-for-some-evolution-of-thought-part-1/
 
Last edited by a moderator:
D

Derek

Guest
Janelle525 said:
post 113467
Derek said:
post 113465

Sugar lowers cortisol, I agree with you on that. So no if your eating sugar your cortisol will not be high. I'm just saying that it makes the root cause of your high cortisol (zinc deficiency) worse. Zinc deficiency causes hypothyroidism, then cortisol rises, this is a protective adaptation by your body in order to increase temps/pulse. Taking sugar lowers cortisol, basically making you hypothyroid, and even more zinc deficient. So over time this can cause serious issues. I have seen this with fruitarians and high carb vegan/vegetarians. Now, you are probably much better off seeing as you eat meat routinely, I was just explaining the relationship between cortisol/sugar/thyroid/zinc.

By the way I like what you have to say about minerals, I think balancing minerals is essential to healing, there may be more than one way to go about it though. Yes living off mainly fruit is an experiment that has not been carried out long enough so back to the whole foods... I think if someone wants to do refined carbs they have to add it on top of a high nutrient diet, but even in studies of people with chronic disease, high carb diets have been shown beneficial. See: http://rawfoodsos.com/2015/10/06/in-defense-of-low-fat-a-call-for-some-evolution-of-thought-part-1/

I eat a very high refined carb diet. So I agree with you on the health benefits of high carb. I just eat refined starches as opposed to refined sugars. I think they are more satiating, and minerals/vitamins are produced through their fermentation in the lower intestine; as opposed to white sugar.
 
Last edited by a moderator:

Parsifal

Member
Thread starter
Joined
Aug 6, 2015
Messages
1,073
Lots of different opinions, that's interesting.

About using bicarbonate to buffer CO2, I didn't really understood. I've also read that baking soda can cause stones and seems that some people here are getting kidney stones so I don't know...
 

sugarbabe

Member
Joined
Sep 13, 2012
Messages
3,338
Derek said:
post 113475 I eat a very high refined carb diet. So I agree with you on the health benefits of high carb. I just eat refined starches as opposed to refined sugars. I think they are more satiating, and minerals/vitamins are produced through their fermentation in the lower intestine; as opposed to white sugar.
What refined starches do you eat? How about potatoes? Do you eat any fruit at all? Milk?
 
Last edited by a moderator:

HDD

Member
Joined
Nov 1, 2012
Messages
2,028
I recently saved this answer but I didn't save the interview it was from...

Peat: Yes. It happens that baking soda has some of the same benefits that niacinamide has; it helps your body to excrete phosphate more easily. And anything that helps your body make carbon dioxide helps to excrete phosphate. And salt and calcium help to stimulate the production of carbon dioxide. So, foods that are high in calcium and moderate in sodium will help to get rid of any excess phosphate.
 

Daimyo

Member
Joined
Mar 31, 2014
Messages
252
Location
Europe/SE Asia
Derek said:
post 113465 Taking sugar lowers cortisol, basically making you hypothyroid, and even more zinc deficient. So over time this can cause serious issues. I have seen this with fruitarians and high carb vegan/vegetarians. Now, you are probably much better off seeing as you eat meat routinely, I was just explaining the relationship between cortisol/sugar/thyroid/zinc.

Can you elaborate on that please?
 
Last edited by a moderator:

CoolTweetPete

Member
Joined
Aug 5, 2015
Messages
727
Age
35
Location
San Francisco
Daimyo said:
post 113603
Derek said:
post 113465 Taking sugar lowers cortisol, basically making you hypothyroid, and even more zinc deficient. So over time this can cause serious issues. I have seen this with fruitarians and high carb vegan/vegetarians. Now, you are probably much better off seeing as you eat meat routinely, I was just explaining the relationship between cortisol/sugar/thyroid/zinc.

Can you elaborate on that please?

Please, I also had trouble finding information about sugar wasting zinc while searching around the interwebz last night.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
yerrag When Inflammation Does Not Get Confirmed By Certain Markers of Inflammation Cancer, Degenerative Diseases 10
M Does taurine increase stomach acid or not? Ask For Help or Advice 3
K Why does vitamin K2 mk4 make my skin dry? K 4
S Why does Ask For Help or Advice 2
A Does vitamin K supplementation deplete vitamin E? Vitamins 25
bzmazu Vaccine: Twenty countries suspend injections; does that make you “hesitant?” Viruses, Parasites, Fungus, Vaccines 104
P Why does l dopa make me pee so much? Supplements, Pharmaceutical Drugs 4
ecstatichamster Aspirin increases cancer and mortality — or does it? Scientific Studies 9
ScurveDream Should friendship be forced? How exactly does "friendship" or "having friends" work across different parameters? Ask For Help or Advice 13
M Does cooking vegetables destroy their vitamin C? Ask For Help or Advice 11
V Does it have to be orange juice? Diet 23
F Why does Sildenafil and other PDE5 inhibitors help my sleep? Male Issues 0
D Does B-50 cause anhedonia? Water-Soluble Vitamins 29
yerrag Does Anyone Have References that Validate the Use of Urine pH as a Proxy for Blood/ECF pH? Acidity vs. Alkalinity 65
A Penis Does Not Get Quite As Hard As It Used To Ask For Help or Advice 35
Hgreen56 Does milk or calcium raise gaba? Milk 2
Sam321 Does speed of magnesium spray absorption correlate current levels of magnesium in system? Ask For Help or Advice 0
M Does magnesium glycinate increase dht? Supplements, Pharmaceutical Drugs 8
ScurveDream Leanness and physiology -- how does it all work (more of a rant)? Metabolism 1
lvysaur Does chicken digest faster than beef? Meat 4
deliciousfruit Does liver from grain-fed animals contain vitamin A? Meat, Organ Meat, Gelatin, Seafood 2
J How does Ray Peat make coffee? Ask For Help or Advice 8
U What does eggs offer to be important part of the diet? Diet 9
T Does adrenaline damage the nervous system? Ask For Help or Advice 3
L Does a Moderna vaccinated person cause harm to a non vaccinated person? Vaccines 15
BearWithMe Does NDT supplement, T3/T4 or iodine raise PTH? Natural Dessicated Thyroid 4
ddjd why does saturated fat + carbs make me fat?? Ask For Help or Advice 67
Hgreen56 Does Gaba decrease metabolic rate? Diet 0
P Why Does Lowering Estrogen Slow My Hair Loss? (Interesting experience) Hair & Nails 4
Lokzo Does Lion's Mane Destroy Your Libido/Sex Drive?! Supplements, Pharmaceutical Drugs 9
Frankdee20 Does dietary cholesterol intake increase it ? Cholesterol 8
ursidae >70 g of PUFA a day | Does diet even matter? Diet 72
TypicalJock Does food in plastic packaging effect the food? Ask For Help or Advice 1
tankasnowgod Milk, OJ, Cottage Cheese, Yogurt..... Does Temperature of these foods matter? Digestion 36
C Does Flowers Of Sulphur Only Benefit The Gut? Ask For Help or Advice 14
T Klonopin? How Does This Drug Do Nothing For Me? Supplements, Pharmaceutical Drugs 2
T Why Does Drinking Cause Suicidal Thoughts Now? Mental Issues 23
P Anti-Peat What Does Peat Have To Say About Tribal/indigenous Peoples Eating Pufa? Debate - Anti-Peat 22
jamies33 Does Believing In The Concept Of Karma Negate Belief In The Multiverse Theory? Meditation, Mindfullness, Religion, Spirituality 2
J Does Anyone Know Anything About Selleckchem Dot Com? Supplements, Pharmaceutical Drugs 0
H Does Tropical Weather Inhibit Metabolism? Metabolism 12
lvysaur Why Does Aspirin Lower My Bilirubin? Blood Work, Labs 2
F Does Anyone Have A Backup Of Tyw's Blog? Ask For Help or Advice 13
hominidnumber9 Why Does Finasteride Work For Some People? Hair & Nails 98
GelatinGoblin Does Sunlight Lower Thyroid And Steroids? Ask For Help or Advice 1
Hgreen56 Does The Potato Juice Have The Same Amount Of Carbohydrates As The Potato Itself? Diet 2
E My Mom Tested Positive For COVID Does COVID Develop Lung Nodules? Ask For Help or Advice 5
E Does Coffee Make You Fat And Anxious? Miscellaneous 12
Sexypizza Does Anyone Know Where I Can Buy Camphoric Acid? Digestion 5
R Does Anybody Have The Pdf Of Lysenko's Book On Heredity? Book Recommendations 0

Similar threads

Top