How To Get More Magnesium In Diet

meatbag

@Meatbag

I am getting most of my carbs from sugar and fruit. But I eat a potato a day on average. The other day when I put my foods into cronometer like I mentioned I also had an 8oz steak along with several eggs.

I wasn't even close to getting enough magnesium. I was around 150mg for the day.

I don't see any magnesium supplement on amazon by a brand called CR Research

The magnesium product is listed in amazon as ; Cardiovascular Research Magnesium Solution Liquid .

Last edited:
OP
F

firebreather

The magnesium product is listed in amazon as ; Cardiovascular Research Magnesium Solution Liquid .

What fruits are you eating?

I think if you're not consuming dairy, it's probably good to use potatoes as a staple. 1 potato is simply not enough. I've seen Peat recommend eating greens to balance meat if a person doesn't consume dairy but it's up to you of course. I think what Peat likes so much about milk and orange juice is that there is literally zero cooking or time spent preparing food. When eating potatoes and greens, that isn't so much the case. While I don't think sucrose is bad, there is only carbohydrate there and there body certainly needs more than that to be healthy/optimal, especially if you have an active job and suspect you may be hypothyroid.

View attachment 5382
View attachment 5383

My appetite has been horrible the last several months. There is no way I have it in me to consume that much potato

Okay, I see the product now on amazon. How many mg of mag per serving? how many servings per container?

meatbag

My appetite has been horrible the last several months. There is no way I have it in me to consume that much potato

Okay, I see the product now on amazon. How many mg of mag per serving? how many servings per container?

133 mg Mg per teaspoon, teaspoon=4.92892 mL, 236.6 mL per bottle, 236.6 mL/4.92892 mL=~48 servings, 48*133mg=6,384 mg Mg per bottle

Last edited:

schultz

I DON'T DRINK MILK

Yep, which is why I said "I know you said no dairy, but I was just giving it as an example for other people reading the thread."

I listed other things as well for you.

There is no need to use all caps, I can read lower case letters just fine.

Coffee has magnesium: See this thread Magnesium In Coffee

@OrangeJuice here is a thread about the supposed magnesium loss from coffee: No Dehydration From Coffee

jyb

133 mg Mg per teaspoon, teaspoon=4.92892 mL, 236.6 mL per bottle, 236.6 mL/4.92892 mL=~48 servings, 48*133mg=6,384 mg Mg per bottle

Yeah I understand potatoes are very filling but I think it's helpful to always skin them and eat with some butter or other fat and enough salt until things improve. You might look into pregnenolone for appetite/digestive issues I saw good results with it and used the Healthnatura brand. Does ice cream cause you problems (with no gums or carrgenen like turkey hill naturals)?

You don't have to eat the potato. When you boil potato, the minerals go in the water. So you can easily drink a concentrated liquid contained all the magnesium from 10-20 potatoes. Cut the potatoes in thin slices and it won't take much boiling time before the minerals are collected.

jyb

I do not think that is the case, if you look up the difference between the magnesium content of 100 g raw potato flesh vs 100 g boiled potato flesh there is ~4mg difference accounting for the difference in water weight. So only ~4 mg per 100mg of potato in the water.

You imply the potato minerals do not leach in the boiling water. Every source I read says the opposite. Note, RP recommends exactly this for minerals.

meatbag

Attachments

• upload_2017-5-15_18-15-4.png
    upload_2017-5-15_18-15-4.png
    27.1 KB · Views: 254
  • upload_2017-5-15_18-15-44.png
    upload_2017-5-15_18-15-44.png
    3.5 KB · Views: 249
Last edited:

schultz

View attachment 5386
View attachment 5387

Bethke, P. c. & Jansky, S. h. (2008) The Effects of Boiling and Leaching on the Content of Potassium and Other Minerals in Potatoes. Journal of Food Science, 73, H80–H85.

Yeah I don't disagree a fair amount of magnesium is going into the water after reading about it more. I guess by boiling potatoes, greens, and other vegetables, you could make a decent magnesium supplement. But still I think potatoes are a very good food to eat. Of course there are situations where a person may not be able to eat them. Just seems like you are wasting almost 75 of the potential magnesium in the food that way, not mention other beneficial compounds that may not be extracted well. But vegetable broth is a good source of nutrition :)

Wow looks like if you shred and boil the potatoes up to 75% of the potassium and maybe like 60-65% of the magnesium is leached into the water. Seems like a pretty good way to get minerals in my opinion. Much cheaper than greens (maybe...). If you have a pig or chickens you can feed them the left over shredded potato.

tara

I've heard that Peat says that coffee is high in magnesium but it doesn't seem to be according to cronometer nor do leafy greens seem to be very high.
If you are eating leafy greens, make sure to drink all the water they are cooked in - apparently quite a bit of the Mg leaches into the water.

I have been eating a lot more sugar lately to try and increase metabolism and typically this causes my mid back muscles to spasm.
I'm with meatbag in thinking it can be hard to get enough of all the minerals from food with a very large amount of refined sucrose, esp. when we are in a lowish metabolic state and therefore losing minerals too easily and needing more than we would if we were in full health. That's one reason fruits and roots have advantages as carb staples.

Black strap molasses has a lot of Magnesium along with Potassium and Calcium. Very Peat friendly. AND for RBTI people, it's a super-food all star.
I think Peat has expressed reservations about some of the chemicals produced in the molasses during processing, but I agree it has some good minerals in it.

Coffee isn't high in Mag like people claim.
And while I think Peat is right about coffee having a decent amount of magnesium it really isn't enough unless you drink 10+ cups which makes most people feel like crappola
+1
And RBTI amounts of coffee would certainly not give much Mg. :)

and typically this causes my mid back muscles to spasm.
Definitely a good idea to try getting more Mg in your diet and see if it helps, but as first aid for spasms, I've found local application of Mg oil/Mg chloride to often be able to stop cramps almost instantly - could maybe carry a bottle of it with you for emergency first aid till you get the diet part worked out?

Do consider other minerals as well as Mg - eg I think potassium can get low if overworked/stressed and living on sucrose. The couple of times Mg oil didn't instantly stop my cramps, it was fruit that fixed it quickly - I'm assuming potassium, since I already had some carbs on board.

OP
F

firebreather

If you are eating leafy greens, make sure to drink all the water they are cooked in - apparently quite a bit of the Mg leaches into the water.

I'm with meatbag in thinking it can be hard to get enough of all the minerals from food with a very large amount of refined sucrose, esp. when we are in a lowish metabolic state and therefore losing minerals too easily and needing more than we would if we were in full health. That's one reason fruits and roots have advantages as carb staples.

I think Peat has expressed reservations about some of the chemicals produced in the molasses during processing, but I agree it has some good minerals in it.

+1
And RBTI amounts of coffee would certainly not give much Mg. :)

Definitely a good idea to try getting more Mg in your diet and see if it helps, but as first aid for spasms, I've found local application of Mg oil/Mg chloride to often be able to stop cramps almost instantly - could maybe carry a bottle of it with you for emergency first aid till you get the diet part worked out?

Do consider other minerals as well as Mg - eg I think potassium can get low if overworked/stressed and living on sucrose. The couple of times Mg oil didn't instantly stop my cramps, it was fruit that fixed it quickly - I'm assuming potassium, since I already had some carbs on board.

Thank you for this insight @tara

I always appreciate what you have to say.

According to the things I put into cronometer leafy green don't have a whole lot of mag unless a eat a LOT.

And what a great point about potassium. I will keep that in mind and keep an eye on it.

For now I am going to trying "mag-a-hol" to increase my magnesium

OrangeJuice

Like I said I don't drink milk because it causes problems.

According to Cronometer I'm going to need to eat a S*** ton of leafy greens to get enough mag.

Unless my math is incorrect, 1 TBSP of black strap molasses has 50mg of magnesium? What am I missing

>>>>>>PURPLE LABEL<<<<<<
The Purple Label Breer Rabbit Black-strap Molasses has 25% of RDA for Mg...that's like ~100mg

Some people said use magnesium chloride to salt food. Was thinking of trying that since it's cheap.

schultz

OrangeJuice

Definitely a good source. How do you handle the molasses yourself? Ray has warned of it being allergenic, possibly due to the way sugar cane is harvested (burning the field... not sure that is always the way they do it, or even if they even still do that?)

I have no issues with it (as far as i am aware). I usually have a TBSP in the morning if I have a bowl of Cereal with 1% milk

I don't mind the strong molasses taste either.

RBTI highly recommends it as a re-mineralization food source. If Carey Reams/Challen Waychoff recommend it then I am all in to use it.

Yes i have had these same questions... vegetable broth from dark leafy greens is one Ray recommends, however, he thinks with milk and coffee you will get enough. For coffee, he makes it much stronger than normal, that's why it is higher in magnesium.

Overall, he says, if you have good thyroid function, you will quickly absorb the magnesium from the diet... so some days if you dont hit it, it would be okay, because you have about 2 weeks worth stored up with thyroid function

Magnesium glycinate would be one supplement I think he mentioned can be okay, but overall, I dont think he recommends magnesium supplements very often, i have am email from him saying many times people can react badly to them, especially if th3y have poor thyroid function, which would be when u might be supplementing with it anyway

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals