Something else for digestion

Nstocks

Hello,

I've been slowly increasing my calorie consumption from years of underrating to try and build some mass. Over the past 6 weeks, I've gain 5 lbs, which seems to be "water weight" - I feel very fluid! (with some fat gains). I know that my body needs to adapt to more food but this is incredibly uncomfortable and is probably aggravating my acne.

My digestion is still quite poor (from Paleo no doubt) and I'm looking at what I can do to increase transit time, improve stools, go more frequently, reduce bloating and stop hyperventilation which I'm sure is from being constipated a lot of the time.

I've tried various herbal teas (Paleo days), aloe vera, magnesium, epsom salt baths, super digestive enzymes, carrot salad and sagrada cascara. I've come across one thread on here about activated charcoal, but this could make constipation worse.

Any idea would be appreciated!

jyb

Cyproheptadine is pretty relevant to digestion (and it's prescription free where you live).

SQu

I felt like that for years, since stopping dieting. Only thyroid has helped, especially with the bloated and 'awash' feeling. Also the breathlessness. I also tried all those things first, carrot did help. But no longer. It comes down to thyroid for me.

OP
N

Nstocks

sueq said:
I felt like that for years, since stopping dieting. Only thyroid has helped, especially with the bloated and 'awash' feeling. Also the breathlessness. I also tried all those things first, carrot did help. But no longer. It comes down to thyroid for me.

What type of thyroid are you taking? Dosage? I used RAW thyroid for a month but it didn't do anything so I binned it. I really want and need to continue eating sufficiently, so if thyroid can help reduce the negatives of eaten more, I think it's something I might reconsider.

aguilaroja

Nstocks said:
.. I've gain 5 lbs, which seems to be "water weight"..
My digestion is still quite poor (from Paleo no doubt) and I'm looking at what I can do to increase transit time, improve stools, go more frequently, reduce bloating and stop hyperventilation which I'm sure is from being constipated a lot of the time.

It would help for discussion purposes to separate the topics/problems of digestion (food intolerance, heartburn, bloated stomach) and elimination (constipation, diarrhea), though gas and bloating may be involved with either category.

It sounds like constipation is the most prominent problem in this situation. You have mentioned some of the basics already. As discussed in another thread, cooked bamboo shoots are a different fiber source for reducing the GI endotoxin burden. Some of your other posts mention considering coffee. It may be worth revisiting coffee intake, taking coffee with the meal and using sugar and milk/cream/coconut oil mixed in.

As a temporary measure, you might experiment with different forms oral magnesium for its laxative effect. The magnesium citrate and magnesium oxide are two forms having more laxative effect. Anecdotally, I have found that supplementary thiamine sometimes improves comfortable transit through the digestive tract. At times, it's been useful to increase proportion of fruit and cooked root vegetables in relation to protein sources. Sometimes a teaspoon or two of coconut oil is helpful.

As sueq mentions, there are situations where the constipation/slow transit seems to reflect sluggish metabolism generally and thyroid support is primary. If things are quite backed up, the usual constipation measures might be considered. More specifics depend on individual metabolic context.

SQu

I started a log called thyroid log - ratio worries and kept a record. Previous attempts with ndt did not work for me. Very low doses of t3 and t4 did. And going slowly. And using indicators like constipation to tell when I'm slightly overdosing.

OP
N

Nstocks

aguilaroja said:
As a temporary measure, you might experiment with different forms oral magnesium for its laxative effect. The magnesium citrate and magnesium oxide are two forms having more laxative effect. Anecdotally, I have found that supplementary thiamine sometimes improves comfortable transit through the digestive tract. At times, it's been useful to increase proportion of fruit and cooked root vegetables in relation to protein sources. Sometimes a teaspoon or two of coconut oil is helpful.

I'm going to try magnesium citrate. I'm also concerned about mild acne (constipation alone could be a contributing factor) and found this page

http://www.livestrong.com/article/80115-magnesium-acne/

I'm going to look into thyroid too. I still don't feel 'right'. I'm always on high alert and don't remember a time where I feel calm or 'slowed down' and my life isn't that stressful either.

paper_clips43

Nstocks said:
sueq said:

What type of thyroid are you taking? Dosage? I used RAW thyroid for a month but it didn't do anything so I binned it. I really want and need to continue eating sufficiently, so if thyroid can help reduce the negatives of eaten more, I think it's something I might reconsider.

As in eating the actual raw gland? Was the source reliable? Really you didn't notice anything?

OP
N

Nstocks

paper_clips43 said:
Nstocks said:
sueq said:

As in eating the actual raw gland? Was the source reliable? Really you didn't notice anything?

I bought this: http://uk.iherb.com/product-reviews/Nat ... /6016/?p=1

Didn't feel anything. Apparently the raw thyroid is unreliable though... My digestion is killing me! Feel like I've got some parasite growing my my intestine :(

I think it's time to order this: https://mymexicandrugstore.org/cytomel . Honestly I don't really want to take it, but I've made huge dietary changes since last April when I found out about Peat, but I'm not that much better. Is there ANY "natural" thyroid that's worth another shot?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals