Calcium Baths

PTP

I am interested in adding calcium to warm baths as a possible way of increasing my calcium intake to better my Ca to Phosphorus ratio without ingesting more supplements. Thinking of adding this calcium chloride dihydrate flakes: Amazon product ASIN B00DRPKLIGView: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Calcium-Chloride-2kg-Dihydrate-Flakes/dp/B00DRPKLIG/ref=sr_1_4?dchild=1&keywords=calcium+chloride+food+grade&qid=1630444950&sr=8-4

Does anyone know if this will get absorbed at beneficial levels? What amount of flakes should I use per bath? Can I use this with epsom salts or is it better to take magnesium baths separately so the minerals don't compete for absorption?

My research mainly shows that people use this for aquarium tanks rather than humans, although mark's daily apple has a complicated formula using Ca chloride with baking soda and other things: How to Take a Better Bath | Mark's Daily Apple

Drareg

I am interested in adding calcium to warm baths as a possible way of increasing my calcium intake to better my Ca to Phosphorus ratio without ingesting more supplements. Thinking of adding this calcium chloride dihydrate flakes: Amazon product ASIN B00DRPKLIGView: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Calcium-Chloride-2kg-Dihydrate-Flakes/dp/B00DRPKLIG/ref=sr_1_4?dchild=1&keywords=calcium+chloride+food+grade&qid=1630444950&sr=8-4

Does anyone know if this will get absorbed at beneficial levels? What amount of flakes should I use per bath? Can I use this with epsom salts or is it better to take magnesium baths separately so the minerals don't compete for absorption?

My research mainly shows that people use this for aquarium tanks rather than humans, although mark's daily apple has a complicated formula using Ca chloride with baking soda and other things: How to Take a Better Bath | Mark's Daily Apple
This is a good question, I don’t know the answer but I’m curious to find out, it’s one for Peat I think.

Could calcium carbonate be added to the bath and in what amount?

They use methylene blue for aquarium tanks also.

OP
P

PTP

This is a good question, I don’t know the answer but I’m curious to find out, it’s one for Peat I think.

Could calcium carbonate be added to the bath and in what amount?

They use methylene blue for aquarium tanks also.

Maybe I'll have to pay Danny Roddy one of those superchat things to ask him next time Peat is on, anyone know how much those things cost, I'm assuming 1-2 usd? (I could probably find his email and get the answer for free, but I can afford small amounts and feel he deserves to be paid for his expertise).

golder

If you get a response please share the love here. I’m really interested in this :)

OP
P

PTP

If you get a response please share the love here. I’m really interested in this :)
Sure, although I don't think I can sit through a 2 hour podcast, usually I just check after the show is recorded and the topics are listed and just listen to a few minutes of the stuff that interests me

Amazoniac

"The skin is the largest organ of the body, covering about 1.8 m2 and comprising approximately 10% of the total body mass of an average person. The primary function of the skin is to provide a barrier between the body and the external environment. This barrier protects against the permeation of ultraviolet (UV) radiation, chemicals, allergens and microorganisms, in addition to the loss of moisture and body nutrients [8]. This means that the absorptive capacity of healthy skin for substances from the outside is very limited. This becomes evident particularly in the limited application for topical drugs. To get through the skin, a substance must penetrate the epidermis or has to be absorbed by sweat glands or hair follicles. The stratum corneum is the outermost layer of the epidermis consisting of dead cells (corneocytes). This layer is composed of about 15 to 20 layers of flattened cells with no nuclei and cell organelles. Their cytoplasm shows filamentous keratin. These corneocytes are embedded in a lipid matrix composed of ceramides, cholesterol, and fatty acids. The stratum corneum functions to form a water-repellent barrier to protect underlying tissue from infection, dehydration, chemicals and mechanical stress [9]. Overcoming this layer in significant quantities is only possible for lipophilic substances. In magnesium chloride solution, magnesium is present in ionized form and therefore not able to penetrate a lipophilic layer. In addition, the radius of the hydrated magnesium ion (86 pm) has been reported to be 400 times higher than its dehydrated form, leading to the assertion that it is almost impossible for magnesium ions to pass through biological membranes [2].​
Therefore, cellular magnesium uptake is only being carried out by specific magnesium transporters and not by diffusion. However, since dead cells of the upper skin layer do not contain functional magnesium transporters, which have not yet been identified in detail, magnesium absorption may be possible only at the small area of sweat glands and hair follicles. A recently published study showed that magnesium ions can penetrate the stratum corneum in a concentration and time dependent manner which is significantly facilitated by hair follicles. However, hair follicles and sweat glands constitute only 0.1% to 1% of the skin surface. Even if a substance is absorbed in this area, the question of the clinical relevance of absorbed amounts needs to be addressed. In the study that examined the permeation of topically applied magnesium no information is given on the quantity of absorbed magnesium [10,11]."​

↳ [2] Magnesium basics
- Atomic radius - Wikipedia
- Atomic Radius and Ionic Radius | Science Notes

OP
P

PTP

but I believe epsom salt baths do raise magnesium levels, whatever the mechanism might be

Any evidence for rigorous exfoliation of the skin allowing better transdermal
entry of topicals ?
I read this somewhere a couple of years ago but not sure of the research.

OP
P

PTP

Any evidence for rigorous exfoliation of the skin allowing better transdermal
entry of topicals ?
I read this somewhere a couple of years ago but not sure of the research.
No idea, wouldn't bother with it myself.

facesavant

"The skin is the largest organ of the body, covering about 1.8 m2 and comprising approximately 10% of the total body mass of an average person. The primary function of the skin is to provide a barrier between the body and the external environment. This barrier protects against the permeation of ultraviolet (UV) radiation, chemicals, allergens and microorganisms, in addition to the loss of moisture and body nutrients [8]. This means that the absorptive capacity of healthy skin for substances from the outside is very limited. This becomes evident particularly in the limited application for topical drugs. To get through the skin, a substance must penetrate the epidermis or has to be absorbed by sweat glands or hair follicles. The stratum corneum is the outermost layer of the epidermis consisting of dead cells (corneocytes). This layer is composed of about 15 to 20 layers of flattened cells with no nuclei and cell organelles. Their cytoplasm shows filamentous keratin. These corneocytes are embedded in a lipid matrix composed of ceramides, cholesterol, and fatty acids. The stratum corneum functions to form a water-repellent barrier to protect underlying tissue from infection, dehydration, chemicals and mechanical stress [9]. Overcoming this layer in significant quantities is only possible for lipophilic substances. In magnesium chloride solution, magnesium is present in ionized form and therefore not able to penetrate a lipophilic layer. In addition, the radius of the hydrated magnesium ion (86 pm) has been reported to be 400 times higher than its dehydrated form, leading to the assertion that it is almost impossible for magnesium ions to pass through biological membranes [2].​
Therefore, cellular magnesium uptake is only being carried out by specific magnesium transporters and not by diffusion. However, since dead cells of the upper skin layer do not contain functional magnesium transporters, which have not yet been identified in detail, magnesium absorption may be possible only at the small area of sweat glands and hair follicles. A recently published study showed that magnesium ions can penetrate the stratum corneum in a concentration and time dependent manner which is significantly facilitated by hair follicles. However, hair follicles and sweat glands constitute only 0.1% to 1% of the skin surface. Even if a substance is absorbed in this area, the question of the clinical relevance of absorbed amounts needs to be addressed. In the study that examined the permeation of topically applied magnesium no information is given on the quantity of absorbed magnesium [10,11]."​

↳ [2] Magnesium basics
- Atomic radius - Wikipedia
- Atomic Radius and Ionic Radius | Science Notes
I can say for sure topical progesterone in mct is being absorbed way more then I thought it would