Food & Supplement -Questions PCOS/insulin resistant/hormones

Peata

So I think I'm finally on the right track with Peat's ideas in correcting PCOS issues, but want to see if there is more to the puzzle that I'm not seeing yet. I've been researching various things on it but it's slow going, and so I want to just ask here in case people have ideas.

~~

How important is dietary fat for this condition?
I know free fatty acids contribute to the insulin resistance, but is that just PUFA or do saturated fats in diet also need to be lower?
And if fat does need to be lower...I don't want to have to eat "low fat" (tried that Summer 2012 and it helped at first but then nothing), but could happily manage keeping fat under 25% of calories. Is that good enough?

~~

I've been using Peat food since March 2013 with improvements in some areas, but in the last week since supplementing is when I really noticed more, including weight loss. This was after using supplements for a week or two. They are:

-B1 (thiamine) - 250 - 500 mg.
-B3 (niacinamide) - varies
-B6 (pyroxidine) - 25 mg.
-Magnesium - varies, but usually 800 mg spread out over day and sometimes epsom salt baths
-E - one capsule Unique E in a.m. and one in p.m. so 800 iu daily
-lots of Progest-E (frequent doses as I feel it's needed, not measuring but would estimate at least 1/8 t. each dose. Not sure this improvement can be attributed to Progest-E alone because it seems things really started getting better after the other supplements above)

Which of these (or all) do you think is proving most helpful?
Any dosage changes you would make?
And especially, am I lacking any other supplement that I should be trying?

~~

Extra info:

I take Metformin (glucophage) but since coming into bad estrogen dominance in late 30s it hasn't helped with much that I know of.

natedawggh

Re: Food & Supplement -Questions PCOS/insulin resistant/horm

Metformin made it hard for me to breathe. I stopped taking it.

All fat slows metabolism, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. If you took no fat your metabolism would get so fast you'd burn too quickly through supplies of vitamins and minerals. That's what happened in that infamous "essential PUFAs" study ray peat often refers to, in which a simple B vitamin supplement would have prevented the problems of a no fat diet.

Peat did advocate cutting out all fat for a time if the goal is to lose fat weight...which I'm doing right now and I've found the key to being satisfied on this is not not eat any starches. Fructose, lactose and protien are very satisfying if starches aren't in the mix to mess with blood sugar levels and I'm actually having a great time of it (unlike low carb and other fads I tried in the past). But good fat is great and coconut oil can even help your health, so if you're happy and seeing results you want it sounds like you're doing everything right.

J

j.

Aspirin?

Peata

natedawggh said:
Metformin made it hard for me to breathe. I stopped taking it.

All fat slows metabolism, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. If you took no fat your metabolism would get so fast you'd burn too quickly through supplies of vitamins and minerals. That's what happened in that infamous "essential PUFAs" study ray peat often refers to, in which a simple B vitamin supplement would have prevented the problems of a no fat diet.

Peat did advocate cutting out all fat for a time if the goal is to lose fat weight...which I'm doing right now and I've found the key to being satisfied on this is not not eat any starches. Fructose, lactose and protien are very satisfying if starches aren't in the mix to mess with blood sugar levels and I'm actually having a great time of it (unlike low carb and other fads I tried in the past). But good fat is great and coconut oil can even help your health, so if you're happy and seeing results you want it sounds like you're doing everything right.

Thanks for reply. Will be interesting to hear your results. There's a weight-loss thread if you care to update us. I find myself preferring liquids in place of some meals (coffee, oj, milk, etc) quite often these days.

Peata

j. said:

Pretty much quit aspirin a while back except if needed for pain. I probably never took enough at one time otherwise to give the anti-estrogenic effect. But I'm taking a lot of Vitamin E now, and I was under the impression it has some similar effect as aspirin, being anti-estrogen, blood-thinning, helping with prostaglandins, etc. I may be wrong because that's yet another thing I need to look at more indepth, but I don't want to overdo things that have similar effects.

J

j.

Coincidentally, I've been taking a lot of vitamin E, but tried aspirin yesterday and felt very relaxed in a way that didn't happen with just vitamin E. I will keep testing having both. I took 125mg with water.

Peata

j. said:
Coincidentally, I've been taking a lot of vitamin E, but tried aspirin yesterday and felt very relaxed in a way that didn't happen with just vitamin E. I will keep testing having both. I took 125mg with water.

How much E do you take?

And are you going to experiment with aspirin and sun exposure and report back to us?

J

j.

Peata said:
How much E do you take?

A lot, I'm between 3 and 5 grams, but it's not something I'd recommend, I'm just experimenting. I think it makes me feel more relaxed.

Peata said:
And are you going to experiment with aspirin and sun exposure and report back to us?

Not for the moment, but I think it works. Peat said it works, and so did user Asimov, and other people in the forum.

Peata

j. said:
Peata said:
How much E do you take?

A lot, I'm between 3 and 5 grams, but it's not something I'd recommend, I'm just experimenting. I think it makes me feel more relaxed.

Peata said:

Not for the moment, but I think it works. Peat said it works, and so did user Asimov, and other people in the forum.

Seems to be a number of similarities between Aspirin, Vitamin E and Niacinamide.