Magnesium and strange tachycardia post exercise

Ippodrom47

Hi everyone! I don't understand how I can make my body torelate magnesium but so far I haven't been able to take it for more than a day, maybe two (citrate, 200 Mg). I take it because it assists in vitamin D absoption, and I don't get any sun at all where I live.
Pretty much since I started taking it, I've been noticing very strange rapid heartrate after weightlifting, which doesn't return to normal even the day after and stays around 5-10 beats above my usual numbers. I thought about overtraining first, took some rest, but that didn't seem to help much. Also, when I don't exercise and take even 100/133/200 Mg of Mag Citrate, I feel very fatigued, a bit depressed, and craving salt. I upped my sodium intake but the issues are not completely resolved. My calcium intake is more than sufficient. When I push myself and do a workout, I feel more energetic, but it feels more like adrenaline energy, not the pleasant kind working out is supposed to induce.
I thought that maybe magnesium lowers my cortisol too much, and the body compensates by pushing the adrenals to the limit and also by releasing other stress hormones? Magnesium is supposed to have a relaxing effect, though. In my case, it's either fatigue/dizziness/depression or pumped-up energy from weightlifting. I'll be grateful for any input, thanks!

Vileplume

The magnesium supplement could be raising your stress hormones as a result of intestinal irritation.

Motorneuron

Hi everyone! I don't understand how I can make my body torelate magnesium but so far I haven't been able to take it for more than a day, maybe two (citrate, 200 Mg). I take it because it assists in vitamin D absoption, and I don't get any sun at all where I live.
Pretty much since I started taking it, I've been noticing very strange rapid heartrate after weightlifting, which doesn't return to normal even the day after and stays around 5-10 beats above my usual numbers. I thought about overtraining first, took some rest, but that didn't seem to help much. Also, when I don't exercise and take even 100/133/200 Mg of Mag Citrate, I feel very fatigued, a bit depressed, and craving salt. I upped my sodium intake but the issues are not completely resolved. My calcium intake is more than sufficient. When I push myself and do a workout, I feel more energetic, but it feels more like adrenaline energy, not the pleasant kind working out is supposed to induce.
I thought that maybe magnesium lowers my cortisol too much, and the body compensates by pushing the adrenals to the limit and also by releasing other stress hormones? Magnesium is supposed to have a relaxing effect, though. In my case, it's either fatigue/dizziness/depression or pumped-up energy from weightlifting. I'll be grateful for any input, thanks!
Do you have the same reaction even if you don't subject your body to a stressor like weight lifting? on the contrary, I'm not against it, but it's to have the clearest overall picture possible.

Magnesium is related everywhere, NMDA receptors in particular.

The form you have taken could, as they have already said, create intestinal irritation, you could evaluate magnesium bisglycinate or an ionic form in drops ...

OP
Ippodrom47

Ippodrom47

Do you have the same reaction even if you don't subject your body to a stressor like weight lifting? on the contrary, I'm not against it, but it's to have the clearest overall picture possible
Yes, even if I take a break from weight lifting, I get bad reactions from magnesium. When I take it in the evening, they are a tiny bit less debilitating. I took 400 Mg one afternoon, and then felt like total shite for the rest of the day - very cold, fatigued and exhausted with brain fog.

Warrior

Magnesium Malate 300 - 500mg AM. Magnesium Glycinate 400 - 700mg PM, preferably before bed. Consider some Zinc Picolinate as my intuition says you'll like its synergistic effect in the mix.

You'll have to tweak the dosage to your tastes but I think that may solve your issue. Start low, dial it in. Citrate has been rough on peoples guts if they're sensitive or stressed whereas this approach works far better in terms of toning the nervous system function and inducing feelings of tranquility respectively hence why I usually recommend it.

Also, be aware most supps are crap. 9/10 white label suppliers are undosed, laced with fillers or cheap subs and nasty additives you don't need so pay a bit more for the real deal from a verified source and not just the cheapest seller with stacks of fake reviews for hype.

TheSir

Some paradoxical reactions to magnesium are suggestive of b1 deficiency.

GTW

I prefer Mg glycinate or taurate. The amine makes a difference vs citrate, malate, oxide.
I had premature ventricular contractions, registered on pulse meter as raised bpm. But due to hypersensitivity to stimulants, alcohol, caffeine, sugar.

LadyRae

Magnesium glysinate has been my go-to for years, but about 3 weeks ago I switched to Magnesium oxide before bed, and I dropped the Cascara. I think cascara was irritating my gut and waking me up prematurely...so now, I sleep better, longer, and have a normal bowel movement soon after waking (8-9 hours of sleep)

StephanF

Forum Supporter
I prefer Mg glycinate or taurate. The amine makes a difference vs citrate, malate, oxide.
I had premature ventricular contractions, registered on pulse meter as raised bpm. But due to hypersensitivity to stimulants, alcohol, caffeine, sugar.
Dr. T. C. McDaniel suffered from severe PVC in his late 50s. He stumbled upon the research by Thomas M. Riddick about the connection between the Zeta Potential and cardiovascular disease. He modified Riddick’s electrolyte formula that he named ‘Zeta Aid’ and lived to almost 102 years of age. I take it every day and as long I take it, I don’t have problems with my mild arrhythmia. Look up my older posts on that subject. You can buy Zeta Aid and McDaniel’s book online:

Apple

Maybe lack of Zn ?
Dietary Mg:Zn Intake Ratio is associated with increased risk of coronary artery calcification (CAC) progression.

Last edited:
EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals