Magnesium makes me very cold

Ippodrom47

Took 200 mg magnesium citrate yesterday evening, felt drowsy and a bit cold at first but awesome and energetic later. Today I took 2 tablets 200 each spread over several hours. Now I feel sleepy, tired and very-very cold.

Why would magnesium lower my metabolism so much? I definitely don't get enough from food. I eat dairy to get my calcium.

Should I: 1) make sure my iodine/selenium/zinc intake is sufficient for the thyroid health? 2) Start taking vitamin D? I'm sure my levels are low but I can't take even the smallest amounts due to feeling horrible right after. That's why I thought about magnesium in the first place. 3) Only take 200 mg a day? However, I know that something else is wrong as a couple years ago magnesium wouldn't make me freezing. 4) Anything else...? Thanks!

Deadpool

I have the exact same reaction to oral magnesium. Makes my extremities, especially feet extremely cold and just general low metabolism feeling. I wonder if its a different nutrient thats missing like b1 or b6 that stops it from getting into the cells, or if its a temporary thing caused by a shift in celullar calcium or something ...

Nebula

I have the exact same reaction to oral magnesium. Makes my extremities, especially feet extremely cold and just general low metabolism feeling. I wonder if its a different nutrient thats missing like b1 or b6 that stops it from getting into the cells, or if its a temporary thing caused by a shift in celullar calcium or something ...
I do think it’s some kind of transport issue, but I doubt it’s a missing vitamin. Low T3 levels often due to low selenium, zinc levels by those can also have transporter issues too. I seem to get better mineral transport into cells with T3 + caffeine from coffee.

Jonk

Never had that reaction from magnesium, but def from b1 and niacinamide. Try drinking 1-2 glasses of OJ maybe and see if it helps. Faster metabolism needs more nutrients sort of thing..

Took 200 mg magnesium citrate yesterday evening, felt drowsy and a bit cold at first but awesome and energetic later. Today I took 2 tablets 200 each spread over several hours. Now I feel sleepy, tired and very-very cold.

Why would magnesium lower my metabolism so much? I definitely don't get enough from food. I eat dairy to get my calcium.

Should I: 1) make sure my iodine/selenium/zinc intake is sufficient for the thyroid health? 2) Start taking vitamin D? I'm sure my levels are low but I can't take even the smallest amounts due to feeling horrible right after. That's why I thought about magnesium in the first place. 3) Only take 200 mg a day? However, I know that something else is wrong as a couple years ago magnesium wouldn't make me freezing. 4) Anything else...? Thanks!
Magnesium citrate tends to make people go poo…a lot. And when someone poos a lot, they can lose electrolytes, which can bring your body temperature down.

Try using a mixed magnesium supplement with different magnesium sources. My favorite is Ultra Mag from Source Naturals

OP
Ippodrom47

Ippodrom47

Magnesium citrate tends to make people go poo…a lot. And when someone poos a lot, they can lose electrolytes, which can bring your body temperature down.
It had a very strong diuretic effect on me instead. Like I had to use the bathroom 3 times in a hour or two. Does it also lead to electrolyte depletion?

Honeycomb

Hi @Ippodrom47 ! The Root Cause Protocol has a lot of valuable information about magnesium, where to start and the benefits of different forms of magnesium. Maybe you just haven’t found a form that works well for you. I remember reading in their handbook (free to download) that they don’t recommend magnesium citrate due to the interference of citric acid on the action of ceruloplasmin. Have you experimented with mineral drops, transdermal magnesium and magnesium bicarbonate water? Maybe pick one to start. Then add another one. Like layers. I found them to be very good options when I started with magnesium.

OP
Ippodrom47

Ippodrom47

I remember reading in their handbook (free to download) that they don’t recommend magnesium citrate due to the interference of citric acid on the action of ceruloplasmin. Have you experimented with mineral drops, transdermal magnesium and magnesium bicarbonate water?
Hi! The thing is, citrate seems to be the least bothersome form I've tried so far (malate = anxiety, glycinate = even more fatigued). I haven't tried the ones you suggest but I remember being okay with citrate in the past, before my vitamin A/carotene toxicity and thyroid issues.

It had a very strong diuretic effect on me instead. Like I had to use the bathroom 3 times in a hour or two. Does it also lead to electrolyte depletion?
It could. And you could be losing sodium as Gorilla said. So you got cold.

Hi! The thing is, citrate seems to be the least bothersome form I've tried so far (malate = anxiety, glycinate = even more fatigued). I haven't tried the ones you suggest but I remember being okay with citrate in the past, before my vitamin A/carotene toxicity and thyroid issues.
Experiment with different forms of magnesium.

OP
Ippodrom47

Ippodrom47

Is B1 (thiamine) deficiency possible? I took 200 Mg of Magnesium citrate this very morning, and my hands and feet are very cold and I'm basically shivering despite having a perfectly normal body temperature. I guess it's not a metabolism issue as much as a nerve conduction/muscle one. Yesterday evening I felt much better after eating a cup of cooked lentils. I even took 100 Mb of citrate after that, which didn't result in any side effects. As a matter of fact, I had energy and focus.

HeyThere

Magnesium lowers blood pressure as well. Whenever I take something that lowers blood pressure (pot, etc) I get really cold which is out of the ordinary for me as I'm usually warm.

youngsinatra

Magnesium lowers blood pressure as well. Whenever I take something that lowers blood pressure (pot, etc) I get really cold which is out of the ordinary for me as I'm usually warm.
For me anything that lowers the pulse rate causes this aswell. (Magnesium does both)

If you have bradycardia, your heart beats fewer than 60 times a minute. Bradycardia can be a serious problem if the heart rate is very slow and the heart can't pump enough oxygen-rich blood to the body. If this happens, you may feel dizzy, very tired or weak, and short of breath.“

Dawid

Never had that reaction from magnesium, but def from b1 and niacinamide. Try drinking 1-2 glasses of OJ maybe and see if it helps. Faster metabolism needs more nutrients sort of thing..
Not true. Fast metabolism retains more vitamins and minerals. Slow metabolism causes their rapid loss. The faster your metabolism, the fewer vitamins and minerals you need.

Jonk

Not true. Fast metabolism retains more vitamins and minerals. Slow metabolism causes their rapid loss. The faster your metabolism, the fewer vitamins and minerals you need.
Yeah you're probably right!

LucH

Hi,
Note that citrates are made of 2 parts, whose one biggest part is acid. + diuretic effect = lost of sodium and potassium.
If you feel dizzy / weak when taking bisglycinate Mg (gaba-like effect of glycine), take another form well accepted : Glycerophosphate Mg. High bioavailability but only 12 % of Mg (instead of 16 % with bisglycinate).
=> Electrolytes balance deficient:
"Potassium loss is caused by a shift of potassium from the intracellular to the extracellular space in an exchange with hydrogen ions that accumulate extracellularly in acidosis. Much of the shifted extracellular potassium is lost in urine because of osmotic diuresis." (= urine).

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals