ADVICE PLEASE! IRON/FERRITIN Dosages For Supplements, Hairloss, New Labs

KDawg

So new labs. Ferritin went from 323 > 600 (some reaction,dw) > back to 325 >>> latest is 230.
Turns out cilantro, coffee, 2 blood donations and avoiding iron rich foods helped quite a bit.

HOWEVER iron went from 22 to 7.8, quite low considering range is 10- 30 umol/L. Saturation is also slightly low at 13, range is 15-50 %,

Also in the same sitting I was diagnosed with chlamydia. I kind of laughed at quickly good news was met with terrible news. Good thing is its totally curable and not all too serious. But any advice/info in regards to this would be appreciated. I took two hits of azithromycin as prescribed by my doctor, its meant to be a strong anti biotic

MAINLY I needed advice with dosages.
I take:

Magnesium with trace minerals liquid dropper, 4 drops contains
-magnesium 400 mg
-chloride 1100 mg
-sodium 5mg
-potassium 5mg
-sulfate 70mg
-boron 1.5mg

Zinc sulfate - liquid concentrate, 30 drops contains
-zinc sulfate - 7.5mg

Taurine- 1 pill contains
-L Taurine - 1000mg

Vit K complex - 1 pill contains
-k1 -1500 mcg, (phytonadione)
-k2 - 1000 mcg (menaquinone -4)
-k2 - 200 mcg (menaquinone -7))
-vitamin C (ascorbyl palmitate) 10mg

Vit A 1 liquid drop contains
1 drop = 5025 IU vit A

Vit E -oil, 5 drops
-45mg (dl Alpha Tocopheryl Acetate)

Vit D liquid drop, 2 drops
-1000IU vit D3
-k2 (menatetrenone) 200mcg

Niacin pill form 1 pill
-500mg B3

Eggshell calcium -4 capsules
-calcium from eggshell 1000mg
-vit D3 400 IU
-magnesium (mag citrate) 250 mg

L Lysine 1 pill
-L Lysine 500 mg

B complex 2 pills
-thiamin b1 5mg
-riboflavin b2 10 mg
-niacin 45 mg
-b6 10 mg
- folate 450mcg
-b12 133 mcg
-biotin 325mcg
-pantothenic acid 45mg

pregnenolone 1 pill
-100mg
biotin 1 pill
-10 000 mcg

Can anyone who knows anything give me some guidelines on taking these supplements? my problems are mainly hairloss, I have a receding hairline and overall thinning. THANK YOU!

Wilfrid

Do you know your vitamin D, PTH, cortisol and aldosterone status? Cellular iron homeostatis and vitamin D ( the active metabolite ) are closely related.
If I were you, I will drop, at least, 99,99% of your supplements.

OP
K

KDawg

Do you know your vitamin D, PTH, cortisol and aldosterone status? Cellular iron homeostatis and vitamin D ( the active metabolite ) are closely related.
hmm whats your reasoning for stopping them

mmb82

What's your reasoning for taking them? Were they prescribed by someone or did you just read good things about all of these supplements and start taking them in random doses?

Wilfrid

With such a considerable amount of supplements, unpredictable nutrients interactions come to mind.....
And what about the first part of my response to your post?

superGrover

I don't know what "low" iron is. It is know that average measurements of the population are being taken as healthy mostly, or the norms are adjusted. I wonder what peat thinks is a good level of iron. Maybe it is lower than the level you have.

OP
K

KDawg

What's your reasoning for taking them? Were they prescribed by someone or did you just read good things about all of these supplements and start taking them in random doses?
honestly, theres a little bit of that. I just heard about some cases of guys using certain nutrients that solved their hairloss problem, and i naively just buy the supplement. there is some reasoning to some of the supplements

Vit D: general overall health
Vit A: always had skin problems/dandruff issues
Vit K2: my scalp is tight and stiff and calcified as hell, so K2 is meant to help with that
eggshell calcium: helps with calcium/phosphate ratio
niacin: supposedly helps with high cholesterol, as ive always had slightly elevated cholesterol
magnesium/zinc: heard too many good things about them.
taurine/biotin: apparently good for hair growth

Admittedly, im completely lost when it comes to dosages and potential toxic combinations/ amounts. Thats the reason for this thread. theres NEVER been i day ive taken all of them. But i should probably stop until i know what im doing. Where can i learn how to dose them and whether or not i should take them?

OP
K

KDawg

I don't know what "low" iron is. It is know that average measurements of the population are being taken as healthy mostly, or the norms are adjusted. I wonder what peat thinks is a good level of iron. Maybe it is lower than the level you have.
Ive read a lot of bad things about iron and am not too worried that im considered "low" by conventional standards. But I thought it was noteworthy that my iron was not in range as considerd by mainstream health. mine is currently 7, the range is 10-30, and my ferritin is 230.

OP
K

KDawg

yep, i agree until i have the proper understanding of what they do. I do have them, i will post soon

mmb82

honestly, theres a little bit of that. I just heard about some cases of guys using certain nutrients that solved their hairloss problem, and i naively just buy the supplement. there is some reasoning to some of the supplements

Vit D: general overall health
Vit A: always had skin problems/dandruff issues
Vit K2: my scalp is tight and stiff and calcified as hell, so K2 is meant to help with that
eggshell calcium: helps with calcium/phosphate ratio
niacin: supposedly helps with high cholesterol, as ive always had slightly elevated cholesterol
magnesium/zinc: heard too many good things about them.
taurine/biotin: apparently good for hair growth

Admittedly, im completely lost when it comes to dosages and potential toxic combinations/ amounts. Thats the reason for this thread. theres NEVER been i day ive taken all of them. But i should probably stop until i know what im doing. Where can i learn how to dose them and whether or not i should take them?

Your supplements are contradictory though. If you have a stiff and calcified scalp, it indicates that you likely have too much calcium in your system, so why take calcium and vitamin D (the worst combination if you are already calcified)? You probably have low phosphorus and don't need more calcium. Additional niacin is likely not needed if you are already taking a b-complex and fixing your high calcium issue will help lower cholesterol since some arterial calcification is probably the root cause of your elevated cholesterol. Magnesium and K2 are good if you are calcified and magnesium tends to be fairly harmless, but zinc can be detrimental if you have low copper levels, which you would not know unless you had tests done. I don't know enough about taurine and biotin, but almost any supplement can be marketed as "good for something"; that doesn't mean you should just start taking it. The supplement industry is looking to make money, not improve your health, so don't believe everything that you hear about supplements and herbs, etc. You are also taking pregnenolone, likely with no tests to back up the dose you are taking, which is a bad idea. Hormones and hormone-like substances (like vitamin D) have a much stronger effect on your body than most vitamins and minerals alone.

Context is king...what might be good for someone can be harmful to someone else. Don't just start taking supplements without having a true reason to take them based on some sort of tests, especially the fat soluble vitamins and minerals that accumulate in fat and other tissues over time if your body has no immediate use for them. Dosing and whether you should be taking certain supplements should be determined by someone who was trained to do that (like a naturopathic doctor), not articles on the internet or people on a forum. The internet can give you guidelines, but guidelines are meant to be general. Depending on your situation, those guidelines might not apply. If you want to avoid messing up your health or fixing problems you created for yourself, work with someone who knows what they are doing and stop guessing.

Last edited:

superGrover

Ive read a lot of bad things about iron and am not too worried that im considered "low" by conventional standards. But I thought it was noteworthy that my iron was not in range as considerd by mainstream health. mine is currently 7, the range is 10-30, and my ferritin is 230.
Iron Not Only Bad In Excess, But Also Bad In Deficiency?

Don't know if you read this thread, but there's some info there for sure so you should read it if you haven't. Isabella from that thread says ferritin should be in the range of 45-70. If that's true, you're too high on that. And they say hemoglobin may not be that good of an iron indicator if that was used in your test.

Birdie

One thing that jumped out, when I looked at your sups, is the niacin. Ray points out that niacinamide is a much better choice there. He doesn't advise using niacin. He pretty much advises going easy on supplements in general as they can cause trouble. He tends to look for excipients in supplements that can be irritating to the colon. It's a different point of view and really quite interesting.

Birdie

Don't know if you read this thread, but there's some info there for sure so you should read it if you haven't. Isabella from that thread says ferritin should be in the range of 45-70. If that's true, you're too high on that. And they say hemoglobin may not be that good of an iron indicator if that was used in your test.
Thanks. I'm going to read this again.

Douglas Ek

Well first off isabella is probably a girl and ferritin reference range for women is like 10-150 while for men some labs have 20-500. 2ndly with that low blood iron kdawg has his ferritin iron could actually be low aswell and the ferritin is high because of inflammation. This could be checked with a CPR test at the same time. When the body is inflammed you dont absorb as much iron. Probably to protect itself from the dangers of iron in that atress state. I guess this is why vitamin C helps iron absorption since it lowers inflammation and hepcidine which then increases iron. With high cpr a ferritin of 200 is considered a deficiency. At least in medical school in scandinavia.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals