Thirst/Electrolyte Balancing/Taurine

Nicholas

I have an issue with not seeming to be able to satisfy feelings of thirst. Drinking lots of mineral water creates an additional issue of feeling wiped out - and like my stomach is producing more acid. A lot of times, milk helps. Sometimes chocolate (magnesium?). I don't notice sodium to have much bearing nor do i find drinking coconut water (potassium) to have much bearing, either, but sometimes creating fatigue. At the same time i've been struggling with this, i've become addicted to epsom baths (magnesium sulfate). I've also noticed a pretty consistent craving for a year of shellfish soups (taurine/glycine).

Does anyone who knows more about electrolyte balancing see this as an electrolyte balancing issue? To struggle with decoding thirst cravings? And does it boil down to simply getting them balanced or does it point to possible Taurine deficiency which helps to regulate electrolyte balancing?

Try the magnesium bicarbonate water recipe on this forum, it really hits the spot.

OP
Nicholas

Nicholas

Such_Saturation said:
Try the magnesium bicarbonate water recipe on this forum, it really hits the spot.

yeah, that was my next step. hard to find milk of magnesia without added chlorine, though.

tara

Purebulk have magnesium hydroxide powder.

FredSonoma

Nicholas said:
Such_Saturation said:

yeah, that was my next step. hard to find milk of magnesia without added chlorine, though.

I've been drinking the store bought one with added chlorine - is it really terrible for me?

OP
Nicholas

Nicholas

i don't know but i don't want to play amateur chemist with chlorine...

OrangeJuice

Don't drink mineral water.

Also, are you using Sea Salt? Don't use that type of salt...but also go easy on Sodium.

Magnesium is okay...but go easy on that too...you really don't need to supplement it despite what others say...as long as you have a balanced diet.

From my own decoding of my own electrolyte imbalances I've had, as long as my diet was balanced and I followed the RDA intake (believe it or not) for sodium, potassium, magnesium and calcium (although higher Calcium to Phosphorus ratio is good but don't over do it)....I noticed i was fine. As soon as i started trying to 'supplement' and sway things that's when everything went out of wack.

I still don't understand this craziness on here about Sodium/Salt.

I tend to agree with the RBTI and Carey Reams philosophy/scientific findings regarding mineral balances/needs.

Giraffe

OrangeJuice said:
Magnesium is okay...but go easy on that too...you really don't need to supplement it despite what others say...as long as you have a balanced diet.
OrangeJuice, your statement that Nicholas does not need to supplement magnesium is a bit strong. How much do you know about him? I would go nuts without supplementing magnesium when needed.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
OrangeJuice said:
What is crazy about salting food to taste?

OP
Nicholas

Nicholas

i get OJ's point....and i was honestly thinking the same thing after the fact. if i am losing magnesium or sodium or whatever, it's probably not so much that i need to "supplement" it but that i need to balance things better in general. in other words, help the cell at the ground up rather than manipulating it like a frustrated marionettist. (i had to look that word up) i wrote this post having forgotten this basic principle.

tara

OrangeJuice said:
Don't drink mineral water.

Also, are you using Sea Salt? Don't use that type of salt...but also go easy on Sodium.

From my own decoding of my own electrolyte imbalances I've had, as long as my diet was balanced and I followed the RDA intake (believe it or not) for sodium, potassium, magnesium and calcium (although higher Calcium to Phosphorus ratio is good but don't over do it)....I noticed i was fine. As soon as i started trying to 'supplement' and sway things that's when everything went out of wack.

I tend to agree with the RBTI and Carey Reams philosophy/scientific findings regarding mineral balances/needs.

I'm inclined to think Reams was onto some important ideas wrt minerals.
Reams and Peat both agree that pure NaCl is preferable to sea salt or other coloured salts. I think at least some of the RBTI practitioners were OK with cooking with salt, at least for some people. I wonder if varied high-brix veges provide significant amounts of sodium in useful non-salt forms?

One of my people had a dangerous brush with hyponatremia a while ago. Restored in hospital by the careful administration of saline, and exhorted to salt his food, he has been fine since. If people are not retaining sodium, as is apparently common in hypothyroid states, supplementing salt may sometimes be useful/necessary/life-saving.

Drinking green juice before every meal would supply quite a bit of magnesium. I think this would have been part of Reams' approach to getting/keeping magnesium levels up, along with eating lots of veges in general? With that, extra MG supplementation might well be unnecessary for most people. I don't think the majority here are drinking green juice before meals 3 times a day, and many don't eat a lot of veges either, let alone high-brix ones.

There is plenty of anecdotal evidence here, and some studies around the place, showing Mg supplementation can be sometimes be useful.

OP
Nicholas

Nicholas

when you are sweating a lot and dealing with hydration issues, the sodium thing seems to become more complicated - like it's not just a "salt to taste" thing anymore. i was experimenting with Vit. E, too, which confused the sodium issue even more. In the past, i used to drink a lot of hot cocoa....i think this was likely a magnesium craving. lately, i have started adding green veggies in my broth and straining. since i've been taking epsom baths, i don't wake up early in the morning anymore. overall, the larger goal seems to be to get out of the state where you are losing minerals. this is not achieved by supplementing.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals