How To Get More Magnesium In Diet

tara

I agree that Peat has mentioned potential downsides to Mg supplements, including that they for some people they irritate the gut. He's not been all negative about them though.
I'm currently using Mg carbonate, which is one he has mentioned as a reasonable one. I can't handle much milk or coffee, and while I do eat some greens and their broth regularly, and some OJ and other smaller sources, I don't seem to get enough without supplementing, and it makes a difference to some symptoms.

BibleBeliever

I tried that cronometer to get an idea of the nutrition of the food I was eating for yesterday. My magnesium intake was very high; salt too, but energy was a bit low until I had magnesium glycinate.
Might retry blackstrap molasses for some extra magnesium, but they do often do act allergenic.

After I had the magnesium glycinate yesterday my energy levels skyrocketed and I had one of the best sledgehammer work outs hitting the tire than in a long time.
Have to lower iron intake though, didn't realize it is so high.

Wonder about the accuracy of cronometer; for instance 28 grams of ginger powder is listed at almost 350%? manganese, but 28 grams of the root only has 3%?

Maybe adding some magnesium chloride to each meal would be useful as suggested.

Apparently our ancestors received most of their magnesium via drinking water; i've read reports of about 350mg per liter. Presuming this is accurate, that is a strong argument for supplementation, because tap water has almost none from what I understand.

Attachments

• foodintakesep10.jpg
    foodintakesep10.jpg
    134.5 KB · Views: 45

Frankdee20

IMG_1686.PNG If you can find this brand of carbonated mineral water, it supplies a decent amount of MG per liter.

squanch

Apparently our ancestors received most of their magnesium via drinking water; i've read reports of about 350mg per liter. Presuming this is accurate, that is a strong argument for supplementation, because tap water has almost none from what I understand.
View attachment 6568 If you can find this brand of carbonated mineral water, it supplies a decent amount of MG per liter.
The holy grail of magnesium rich mineral waters. 1000 mg / l
6455236_orig.jpg

Not sure if it's available outside of Europe though. Actual mineral water, with natural carbonation that leeches minerals into the water, doesn't seem to be very popular outside of Europe. Mineral water is almost never mentioned as a source of calcium or magnesium, but it can be quite high. It will also be calcium- and magnesium bicarbonate.

Ulla

The holy grail of magnesium rich mineral waters. 1000 mg / l
6455236_orig.jpg

Not sure if it's available outside of Europe though. Actual mineral water, with natural carbonation that leeches minerals into the water, doesn't seem to be very popular outside of Europe. Mineral water is almost never mentioned as a source of calcium or magnesium, but it can be quite high. It will also be calcium- and magnesium bicarbonate.

Where do you get this? Online?

squanch

Where do you get this? Online?
It's a mineral water from Slovenia, I buy it at a supermarket in Germany. It will probably be available in most other European countries too (I know it's very popular in Croatia for example). No idea about non European countries, sorry. This is their site, you could ask them if you want: Donat Mg

Collden

Old thread, but, spinach is a great source of magnesium. I've noticed a strong calming effect from a large serving of spinach which I've not experienced with other magnesium-rich foods like chocolate or nuts, so I assume it must be really well absorbed.

The main issue with spinach as a food is its oxalate content, but it seems absorption of oxalate can be almost completely nullified by eating calcium-rich foods together with the spinach. Guess this is why its traditionally popular to combine it with cheese.

Last edited:

DaveFoster

Ray has also called it toxic and pro-inflammatory.
Molasses suppresses the immune system.

"Findings suggest that fluid intake by molasses-treated animals was significantly increased and these animals showed symptoms of loose faeces. Molasses had no significant effect on body weight, serum biomarkers or liver enzyme activity (P>0.05). Immunoglobulin-gamma anti-antigen levels were significantly suppressed in molasses-treated groups (P=0.004). Animals subjected to molasses exposure also exhibited elevated levels of testosterone synthesis (P=0.001).

Findings suggests that molasses adversely affects the humoral immune response. The results also promote the use of molasses as a supplement to increase testosterone levels."

Link: The effect of sugar cane molasses on the immune and male reproductive systems using in vitro and in vivo methods

jzeno

@firebreather

Old thread, but Maple Syrup and Medjool Dates are a great source of both Manganese and Magnesium.

You could easily add a half-serving of Syrup (the single serving based on standard nutrition facts is 1/4 cup) to sweeten coffee or some bread or whatever else you might be eating and add 5 or more dates and add a lot of Magnesium which should help you out considerably
  • RDI for Manganese: 2.3 g
  • Dates + 1/2 serving of syrup = 1.3 g (almost all of your RDI just from those two)
  • RDI for Magnesium: 400 g
  • Dates + 1/2 serving of syrup = 75 g (about 1/5 of RDI in just these two foods)
Won't fix it all, but with a small amount of foods, it can nudge you in the right direction.

For example, here's what my diet looks like with these two foods added in:

screencapture-cronometer-2019-01-25-13_53_04.png

Posting for others to see too.

Happy Mag'ing

OP
F

firebreather

@firebreather

Old thread, but Maple Syrup and Medjool Dates are a great source of both Manganese and Magnesium.

You could easily add a half-serving of Syrup (the single serving based on standard nutrition facts is 1/4 cup) to sweeten coffee or some bread or whatever else you might be eating and add 5 or more dates and add a lot of Magnesium which should help you out considerably
  • RDI for Manganese: 2.3 g
  • Dates + 1/2 serving of syrup = 1.3 g (almost all of your RDI just from those two)
  • RDI for Magnesium: 400 g
  • Dates + 1/2 serving of syrup = 75 g (about 1/5 of RDI in just these two foods)
Won't fix it all, but with a small amount of foods, it can nudge you in the right direction.

For example, here's what my diet looks like with these two foods added in:

View attachment 11982

Posting for others to see too.

Happy Mag'ing

Very interesting, thank you

jzeno

For others who are curious, this is my diet and the second screenshot is how my daily RDI of Magnesium breaks down:

screencapture-cronometer-2019-01-28-16_09_28.png

Untitled.png

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals