How much food needed to re-stock the liver?

Bluebell

I am starting to think I'd like to eat a little less directly before bed, been getting a little reflux at night.

I hear it's good to have ice cream or milk plus sugar last thing at night, to give the liver enough sugar for overnight.

What's the minimum amount of milk+sugar I'd need to drink to stock my liver up? If I'd had dinner say 4 hours earlier, and had been eating regularly through the day?

I guess it will depend on my thyroid status and general health, but just wondering what the approx amount would be.

Jenn

Some time I just need a few sips of OJ, sometimes I need a pint of Hagen daz. If you keep OJ by the bed, if you run out of fuel at night, you can just take a few more sips without getting up.

You may not be digesting dinner if you are getting reflux at night.

OP
Bluebell

Bluebell

Yes, ... I think I'm digesting it OK, it's pretty small. I think maybe I'm eating a little too much just before bed.

Maybe I'll take a small glass of milk with me to bed and have it just before I drop off, and first thing on waking. I tend not to wake in the night.

Edited to add:

I just feel a bit "acidy" in the morning, and sometimes a little reflux before sleep. Better than it used to be, but still there. I think partly it's a hangover from too much bodily lactic acid production when I was severely hypothyroid (still recovering). I've still got some stress hormones going on at night, and still a bit too much lactic acid produced all over (not just in tum), at night.

OP
Bluebell

Bluebell

Jenn said:

Thanks, Jenn - is that to reduce the body-produced lactic acid at night?

Take last thing at night before sleep?

4peatssake

Bluebell said:
I am starting to think I'd like to eat a little less directly before bed, been getting a little reflux at night.

I hear it's good to have ice cream or milk plus sugar last thing at night, to give the liver enough sugar for overnight.

What's the minimum amount of milk+sugar I'd need to drink to stock my liver up? If I'd had dinner say 4 hours earlier, and had been eating regularly through the day?

I guess it will depend on my thyroid status and general health, but just wondering what the approx amount would be.

Ray said this in an email to me. Context was insomnia though.

Milk with sugar or honey (about an ounce in a glass) at bedtime would help to get to sleep, and reduce the night stress. Blood sugar falls at night, too low if your thyroid is deficient, and is compensated by the stress hormones

OP
Bluebell

Bluebell

4peatssake said:

Milk with sugar or honey (about an ounce in a glass) at bedtime would help to get to sleep, and reduce the night stress. Blood sugar falls at night, too low if your thyroid is deficient, and is compensated by the stress hormones

Thank you thank you!

errr ... is that 1oz of sugar (wow sounds like a lot) added to 1 glass of milk ? or 1oz of milk with some sugar added?

4peatssake

Bluebell said:
4peatssake said:

Thank you thank you!

errr ... is that 1oz of sugar (wow sounds like a lot) added to 1 glass of milk ? or 1oz of milk with some sugar added?
I took him to mean an oz of milk (with sugar or honey).

It works great too. :D

kiran

I'm wondering if reflux is you reacting to something in your dinner?

OP
Bluebell

Bluebell

kiran said:
I'm wondering if reflux is you reacting to something in your dinner?

Hm, possibly, although I used to get it before starting Peat, but much worse.

The one thing that totally sets it off is coconut oil, even refined, so I don't have that.

I'm quite a thirsty person, and I was drinking maybe too much milk just before bed (like 2 really big glasses), and lots of salt and sugar. I think I'm not reacting to the milk itself, just the volume.

I'm really hoping this reflux will just keep on healing til it's gone.

OP
Bluebell

Bluebell

When Jenn said "aspirin" in the earlier post, I wonder if that would cut my bodily lactic acid production? That would be super cool.

OP
Bluebell

Bluebell

4peatssake said:
I took him to mean an oz of milk (with sugar or honey).

It works great too. :D

Oh wow, that's waaay smaller than the amounts I was taking. I'm obviously a greedy guts. ;)

One oz of milk is tiny, just 28 grams or so!

So dinner, wait for 4 hours, then just 28 grams of milk with a little sugar is enough to stock my liver for the night.

jyb

Jenn said:
If you keep OJ by the bed, if you run out of fuel at night, you can just take a few more sips without getting up.

How long before it goes bad at air temperature? I'm guessing fresh OJ still has more active compounds preventing microbial activity than concentrate OJ.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals