How Does LDN Work If Auto-immunity Is False?

freyasam

Ray Peat has written a bit about the effectiveness of low dose naltrexone--something about endorphins in cancer patients. But he doesn't "believe" in the idea of auto-immunity. Many people with so-called auto-immune diseases improve on LDN, so I wonder how this happens according to Peat?

Bodhi

And Ray Peat also does not believe in Hashimoto's

Well he believes that Anti Bodies rise when TSH rises, TSH rises when metabolism is poor...

So why do so many people i know personally are diagnosed with "Hasimoto" do very well on Synthroid but need to increase their dosage every 6 months to keep good TSH levels (like as af the Thyroid really shrinks due to the "immunesystem" attacking) When these people use LDN their need for Thyroid meds lessens ...

So the Allophatic "theory"about Hashimoto's seems to be backed by the above mentioned protocols...

tara

Maybe whatever stresses were causing the low thyroid function in the first place are not always being addressed, so the issue keeps worsening, requiring increasing supplementation?
Nutrition, environment, sleep, life stresses, ...

OP
F

freyasam

"Antibodies are formed in reaction to the inflammation of the gland that usually results from prolonged high TSH stimulation."
RP

Well, since my TSH keeps getting higher and higher yet I can't take thyroid currently, maybe when I start to develop antibodies and Hashi's I'll be able to take thyroid :P

Dave Clark

I take notice when I research LDN, it is common to hear people say they had to severely reduce or quit their thyroid medications, and some say they even went a bit hyperthyroid. On top of the great benefits of LDN (which I believe someday may be an anti-aging drug), it appears one way to get the thyroid back in gear.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals