Homogenized Milk

Brian

He doesn't seem to care either way. He mentions that ultra-pasteurized can be easier for some to digest. He is concerned about the added vitamins though.

Personally, I prefer raw milk direct from a small local grazing dairy herd. I currently buy a couple gallons each week directly from a little family farm that delivers to a nearby neighborhood. Their low fat milk tastes sweet almost ice cream like. I'm in love with these cows. In the spring it has a rich grassy, earthy taste. That probably sounds weird but it is delicious.

I digest this milk extremely well, while conventional milk casein tends to clump together and not be fully broken down if my metabolism is not working at a very high rate.

mt_dreams

As a basis, Ray suggests to find whatever type of milk digest easiest for the individual. Non-pasteurized will be the best for bio-avialability of nutrients & protein, but some may not tolerate it, and it's also illegal in many areas.

Homogenized milk is about the only thing that causes weight gain for me, though I'm not sure why. If I don't have access to non-homogenized, I usually go with skim milk, and purchase the cream separately & mix myself.

nograde

I definitely have problems with homogenized milk. I don't know, maybe its the way it is done here in europe: milk is shot under very high pressure onto steel plates to break down fat into tiny fat droplets in the micron (some speculate even nano) range. As the theory goes those micro-droplets contain proteins and can slip through the intestinal barrier escaping proper digestion and then cause a systemic immune response. There are some small studies that link "autoimmune diseases" to homogenized milk but not to regular pasteurized one. I'm also concerned about metals being washed out from the steel plate by cavitation forces (such forces are known to destroy ship propellers). Altough I could not find studies on that I would not be surprised if there's for example a considerable nickel washout.

jyb

mt_dreams said:
Homogenized milk is about the only thing that causes weight gain for me, though I'm not sure why. If I don't have access to non-homogenized, I usually go with skim milk, and purchase the cream separately & mix myself.

Edward posted some studies warning against it (in the comments).

pboy

it will turn your genes into the homo form

Peat said it doesn't matter that the fat gets broken up, but its very likely a lot of it and cholesterol gets oxidized in the process so it isn't ideal if you can avoid it

chrismeyers

If you guys want a good widely available non homogenized milk try Organic Valley Grassmilk. It is super expensive stuff, probably $12 a gallon but its non homogenized, fully grass fed, and lightly pasteurized. Prepare to do a lot of shaking each time though LOL

cyclops

Interesting. Are skim (non-fat) dairy products usually not homogenized?

LeeRoyJenkins

According to Nathan hatch (**** portion control) he has a theory that homogenized milk introduces oxygen into the milk allowing pathogenic bacteria and other things like bloating (common SIBO/lactose intolerance symptoms). I've run some tests and at least for me, I can tolerate (and even lose weight) on non homogenized milk but homogenized (even well tolerated milk) eventually leads to stomach problems (bloating, some weight gain, etc.).

LeeRoyJenkins

If you guys want a good widely available non homogenized milk try Organic Valley Grassmilk. It is super expensive stuff, probably $12 a gallon but its non homogenized, fully grass fed, and lightly pasteurized. Prepare to do a lot of shaking each time though LOL

For some reason I can't tolerate this brand.

Johhny Tazzle

Homogenized milk causes issues, so I use skim milk and then eat mozzarella and parm type cheeses which are unhomogenized cheeses

Johhny Tazzle

I've bought that grassmilk at one store and it was actually homogenized so that might be a reason it caused problems it was the organic valley grassmilk brand

cyclops

Ya it is, but since they remove the fat I think it is safer

I wonder what their reason/justification for homogenizing skim milk could be? I understand when they have the naturally separated skim milk, and some amount of cream, they mix it together, so it becomes even. But when they only have the skim milk -- what do they think they're homogenizing?

Last edited:

Johhny Tazzle

Interesting question, I don't know for sure, probably just makes the labeling easier I'm sure it has to do with money, like if it was cheaper and easier to not homogenize skim milk they would, but it would probably require different processing equipment

LeeRoyJenkins

What do you mean by "can't tolerate"?
After a number of months of only drinking whole raw milk from a local provider I tried switching to this brand which was not homogenized. After a few days of drinking it I started toto experience symptoms like bloating stomach upset not, not feeling well, strange burning sensation in my small intestine. Do you think it could as likely be milk as the added vitamins.

lvysaur

After a number of months of only drinking whole raw milk from a local provider

If you were drinking raw milk, then you were drinking unhomogenized milk. Raw milk is not homogenized; if it is, then it's not raw.

Could be a variety of things, including cattle breed. Maybe the raw milk you were drinking was A2 protein only; the A1 protein from Holstein and Jerseys causes problems for many.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals