Happy Day: I Became Lactose TOLERANT

It took me awhile.

So when I was growing up, I drank milk with no problems.

Even though it was decades ago. I hadn't drank milk for 40 years. But I had no problem with ice cream or cream or cheese.

When I started Peat-inspired eating I got bad diarrhea when I drank regular milk. I found that lactose-free (LF) milk worked okay.

I've tried phasing in regular milk by gradually adding it to the LF milk, but it never seemed to work.

I had also tried thyroid which didn't see to affect me. A year or so later, when my PUFAs were more depleted (I used to eat literally pounds of pistachios a week and eat 2 avocados a day etc.) thyroid began working for me.

I did a few "Steve Richfield" style "resets" and my temps with thyroid now rise into the mid 98 F. during the day. I'm still a bit hypo (waking around 97.1 or so) but it's in the right direction.

So I started phasing in regular milk again. I bought some lactase drops (liquid with lactase in water; you can buy lactase in solid form but it is loaded with excipients) and added first a few drops, then just one or two drops or so to regular milk, then mixed it and drank it with LF milk. This dose is very low.

Eventually over the past few weeks, I simply drank more of the regular milk and less of the LF milk. Now I am on a day where I do not have any LF milk at all.

One switch I made recently that may have made this easier was going to A2 milk. There are now several brands and I'm drinking Snowville milk that is not ultra pasteurized at high temps, not homogenized, and A2.

yerrag

Congratulations!

You're the first Caucasian I've heard of that suffered through lactose intolerance. I'm sure there are others but I've always thought of it as a problem with people of Chinese descent, something which was developed over generations of not drinking milk. What made you stop drinking milk for 40 years?

OP
ecstatichamster
Congratulations!

You're the first Caucasian I've heard of that suffered through lactose intolerance. I'm sure there are others but I've always thought of it as a problem with people of Chinese descent, something which was developed over generations of not drinking milk. What made you stop drinking milk for 40 years?

I don’t know. I think milk was associated with being a kid. It wasn’t cool. Seriously.

yerrag

I don’t know. I think milk was associated with being a kid. It wasn’t cool. Seriously.
It's also interesting that you improved your thyroid condition and it helped get you to become tolerant of lactose. I agree that having more energy makes you less sensitive to possible allergens and makes you tolerate more insults on the body.

I’m Caucasian and lactose intolerant. :)
Congratulations @ecstatichamster
Are you next in line?

OP
ecstatichamster
Somewhere Dr Peat said healthy thyroid levels allow someone to become lactose tolerant.

burtlancast

Maybe you hit a patch of unbranded A2 milk without too much A1 in it.

Runenight201

Its seriously a problem. People think that sugary cereals and fruit juices are childish...and that mature adults eat brown rice, chicken breast, broccoli and drink lemon water. It’s absolutely disgusting.

I love my Frosted Flakes and oj. I’d like to keep my youthful energy thank you very much.

Andman

congratulations!

my supposed lactose intolerance/dairy allergy also went away to the point i can now drink milk without any issues. fixing gut issues is huge

Dolomite

Forum Supporter
That is great @estatichamster My history is almost the same as yours except for the A2 milk. I just drink regular whole milk.

OP
ecstatichamster
I may have spoken too soon.

I got really sick. Diarrhea etc.

Not sure what to make of it. I felt AWFUL. I had classic endotoxemia, just felt HORRIBLE, fluish, no appetite (which for me is VERY rare).

I have avoided milk since then.

I'm taking antibiotics and something has settled in my chest. So I can't say I'm lactose TOLERANT. I really don't know. I just think I may have set myself up a temporary leaky gut moving too fast. But I also feel like I got a bug of some kind.

Dolomite

Forum Supporter
Why Ray Recommends Eating Lots Of Calcium
I like the above thread for the information about calcium helping the gut permeability and microbes. I didn’t want to reduce my calcium intake when I quit drinking so much lactose free milk so I use eggshell powder. I only use the regular milk in coffee or combo drinks.

Maybe you jumped in too soon. My transit time only improved when I started to use more eggshell and less milk. I hope you feel better soon. It may be something unrelated to milk.

OP
ecstatichamster
Why Ray Recommends Eating Lots Of Calcium
I like the above thread for the information about calcium helping the gut permeability and microbes. I didn’t want to reduce my calcium intake when I quit drinking so much lactose free milk so I use eggshell powder. I only use the regular milk in coffee or combo drinks.

Maybe you jumped in too soon. My transit time only improved when I started to use more eggshell and less milk. I hope you feel better soon. It may be something unrelated to milk.

good points. I use oyster shell calcium which is second best to eggshell but easier to source. I got tired of making eggshell calcium. I will increase my intake. Ray says he uses 2000mg or 2500mg of calcium a day one way or another.

tankasnowgod

I may have spoken too soon.

I got really sick. Diarrhea etc.

Not sure what to make of it. I felt AWFUL. I had classic endotoxemia, just felt HORRIBLE, fluish, no appetite (which for me is VERY rare).

I have avoided milk since then.

I'm taking antibiotics and something has settled in my chest. So I can't say I'm lactose TOLERANT. I really don't know. I just think I may have set myself up a temporary leaky gut moving too fast. But I also feel like I got a bug of some kind.

One other thing to consider..... protein wise, liquid milk is the most tryptophan rich food there is. Check out the percentage against protein- Tryptophan - Wikipedia

It also has a much lower lysine:tryptophan ratio than most other protein sources. Some of your experience might be a bigger production of serotonin. Serotonin is known to move the GI tract towards diarrhea. Tryptophan is much lower in cheeses, as the whey is discarded. I wonder if something like crypoheptadine or even supplemental lysine would be helpful. Just a thought.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
Are you next in line?
No, I tried hard for five years and tolerated it off and on but it got to be too inconvenient. Every now and then I’ll have something with milk as an ingredient and then I’ll use Kalona Brand (non-homogenized/non-fortified). It looks like I’m amongst the minority of people of northwestern European decent that are really truly lactose intolerant. :(

Rafe

I got to try a2 over the holidays for the first time. It tasted so fresh some like that way that on-the-farm milk tastes. It makes me think of grass.
@ecstatichamster Still good to hear about your progress. The little illness doesn’t mean it isn’t true but maybe just takes its time. I like your steady approach. Cheering on your progress.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals