Happy Day: I Became Lactose TOLERANT

lvysaur

You're the first Caucasian I've heard of that suffered through lactose intolerance.
That's because most white Americans are northwest European (English/Irish/German).

Go to New Jersey/NY and it'll be half of everyone you know, if not more.
Somewhere Dr Peat said healthy thyroid levels allow someone to become lactose tolerant.
I think lactase production is a youth-trait. Not only does it fall off after weaning, but there are also studies out there that show 60 year olds having lower lactase rates than 25 year olds. So it makes sense that rejuvenating the body in other ways would increase it.

I think that in certain populations, the need for calories was so dire that it was biologically selected in an "idiotproof" way--and these populations (Saharan Africans, NW Indians/Europeans, Arabs) will largely digest lactose no matter what. But for individuals who don't, lactose digestion would be a marker of youth.

That's not the only way to produce tolerance though, the other way is to consume it regularly so that your bacteria adapt. This is why people like Japanese or Ukrainians drink more milk than you would think they'd be able to.

Last edited:

milk_lover

I heard sipping milk in small quantities as opposed to drinking a whole cup at once helps with milk digestion. But in general, goat milk is a pretty tolerated milk. My aunts feed it to their kids who have problems with cow milk.

vulture

I heard sipping milk in small quantities as opposed to drinking a whole cup at once helps with milk digestion. But in general, goat milk is a pretty tolerated milk. My aunts feed it to their kids who have problems with cow milk.
In my experience the best way to tolerate milk is to drink it with foods.

vulture

If I drank a glass of milk without anything else, I would spend at least half an hour going to the toilet and heavy farting/bloating. Obviously I have years without doing this hahaha I need to eat starch, fruits, protein, something else that is as least an small meal.
Si, if I have 5 meals I could drink up to 1.5 L of milk a day without diarrhea. But I could have some gas, which I enjoy when I’m home
BTW, the most anabolic diet I ever did was one on 6 meals, at least 5, which one of it main ingredients was something called “Get Big!” Which simply was a DIY recipe with: 2 L of milk, banana, ice cream, 3 or 6 boiled eggs, olive oil, powder protein. Sadly I wasn’t able to sustain such a demanding regime, and I was under heavy stress at the time, but I packed 11 Kg of weight in a month and 2 weeks. Obviously with some fat, but muscle growth was obvious. I’m planning to do a Peatier versión of it as soon as I have some extra money.

milk_lover

If I drank a glass of milk without anything else, I would spend at least half an hour going to the toilet and heavy farting/bloating. Obviously I have years without doing this hahaha I need to eat starch, fruits, protein, something else that is as least an small meal.
Si, if I have 5 meals I could drink up to 1.5 L of milk a day without diarrhea. But I could have some gas, which I enjoy when I’m home
BTW, the most anabolic diet I ever did was one on 6 meals, at least 5, which one of it main ingredients was something called “Get Big!” Which simply was a DIY recipe with: 2 L of milk, banana, ice cream, 3 or 6 boiled eggs, olive oil, powder protein. Sadly I wasn’t able to sustain such a demanding regime, and I was under heavy stress at the time, but I packed 11 Kg of weight in a month and 2 weeks. Obviously with some fat, but muscle growth was obvious. I’m planning to do a Peatier versión of it as soon as I have some extra money.
It makes sense. I know a friend who can't even tolerate cheese but he can tolerate thousands of cheese slices if they were inside a burger..

vulture

It makes sense. I know a friend who can't even tolerate cheese but he can tolerate thousands of cheese slices if they were inside a burger..
There was an experiment on black people in the US who seemed to have trouble drinking milk, they started with small quantities of milk along each food and increasing them slowly for a few weeks, they ended up tolerating up to a glass without problem.

Runenight201

In my experience the best way to tolerate milk is to drink it with foods.

For the past week, the only time I’ve been consuming milk has been with sugary cereal, and it’s been working very well. Most of the times milk on its own has only caused problems, and luckily I’ve been able to establish which physiological contexts I need milk, and far less than the amount peat recommends. Usually ends up being 1–2 cups a day.

That being said, a dairy free life is a lower quality of life. I’ve been couped up in a seminary the past couple of days, and while the break from cooking has been nice, there have been instances where I’ve felt that call for milk and have been unable to meet it, which has been very frustrating.

These Catholics seem to eat fairly well, albeit they could use more soda. Breakfast is eggs, meat, sweet bread, coffee, tortillas, oj, milk, cereal. Lunch is usually some meat with a starch, and some type of sugary drink. Dinner will vary, with usually some type of meat, cheese, and starch, although no sugar to drink, which is frustrating.

Since it’s the holidays they’ve been preparing many cakes, cookies, and treats, which I indulged in extensively, and felt very good from, so much so that I’ll probably start incorporating more desserts. I’m thinking sherbert ice cream and coffee cake to start out with.

T

TheBeard

I’m not sure the issue revolves around lactose.

I have gas and explosive diarrhea 4 hours after having milk, whether it’s pasteurized or raw, even taking massive amounts of lactase pills with it.

I also thought the issue was too low stomach acid, so I tried having the milk during and after a meat meal, still explosive diarrhea.

OceanSpray

I’m not sure the issue revolves around lactose.

I have gas and explosive diarrhea 4 hours after having milk, whether it’s pasteurized or raw, even taking massive amounts of lactase pills with it.

I also thought the issue was too low stomach acid, so I tried having the milk during and after a meat meal, still explosive diarrhea.

Maybe it really is the nature’s way of telling us we really shouldn’t be drinking other species milk.

Milk is often cited here as an example of why mixing sugar and fat can’t possibly be bad, because if babies can thrive on it, how can it be bad for adults.

The fact is the main purpose of milk is to add massive quantities of fat to the baby’s body, potentially at the cost of turning it diabetic. (Who tests babies’ blood sugar? No one ever.) Just to make it fat, and protected from impact and starvation.

By all pediatric evaluation standards, if your baby isn’t getting massively fat, and super fast, there is a major problem.

And so imagine when you as an adult put that very liquid in you, the nature has no other way to remind you that hey silly, what the hell are you doing, this is a baby cow food.

I drank a quart of milk daily for the last 4 years of peating. Only when I got off of it 3 months ago, did I start to lose excess belly fat. 5 kilos in 2 months.

Btw kudos to hamster for coming clean on his failed success story, not many people will endure the embarrassment of having to retract an initially positive enthusiastic experience once it flops. Seriously thumbs up, it makes the forum that much more useful. Too bad about the unchanged thread title though.

T

TheBeard

Maybe it really is the nature’s way of telling us we really shouldn’t be drinking other species milk.

Milk is often cited here as an example of why mixing sugar and fat can’t possibly be bad, because if babies can thrive on it, how can it be bad for adults.

The fact is the main purpose of milk is to add massive quantities of fat to the baby’s body, potentially at the cost of turning it diabetic. (Who tests babies’ blood sugar? No one ever.) Just to make it fat, and protected from impact and starvation.

By all pediatric evaluation standards, if your baby isn’t getting massively fat, and super fast, there is a major problem.

And so imagine when you as an adult put that very liquid in you, the nature has no other way to remind you that hey silly, what the hell are you doing, this is a baby cow food.

I drank a quart of milk daily for the last 4 years of peating. Only when I got off of it 3 months ago, did I start to lose excess belly fat. 5 kilos in 2 months.

Btw kudos to hamster for coming clean on his failed success story, not many people will endure the embarrassment of having to retract an initially positive enthusiastic experience once it flops. Seriously thumbs up, it makes the forum that much more useful. Too bad about the unchanged thread title though.

The topic has never been getting fat or getting shredded.

I couldn’t care less about adding a layer of fat, it’s actually desirable to buffer toxins.

The only thing we are discussing here are the reasons for intolerance.

OceanSpray

The topic has never been getting fat or getting shredded.

I couldn’t care less about adding a layer of fat, it’s actually desirable to buffer toxins.

The only thing we are discussing here are the reasons for intolerance.

Intolerance is the loudest and clearest way of your body telling you it doesn’t want it. Sometimes an intolerance is a sign of defect, most time it’s a natural warning sign. One could easily make the case that lactose tolerance is an abnormality, or a defect.

Fat being desirable is just a concept made up by people who can’t lose weight. Besides fat feminists, also people doing the Peat diet wrong. I cheer for every single one of them, I mean I was in the same boat, listening less to Peat and more to self styled two week experts with unfounded hunches and misinterpreted gut feelings. The fat is good talk is a comical resignation, just another word for failure. No, being obese or overweight is almost never good.

OP
ecstatichamster
So just as a follow up...

I drink about 1/2 gallon of LF 1% milk a day and really do well with it.

If I eat calcium supplements I get heartburn it seems. Messes me up.

I heard Dr. Peat mentioning in passing the benefits of calcium when already part of foods you eat. Supplementing is okay for some people and for some things, but for me calcium supplementation seems to mess up my GI system so I am stopping it. I have to get calcium from eating dairy products I suppose, which is fine with me.

Dave Clark

Its seriously a problem. People think that sugary cereals and fruit juices are childish...and that mature adults eat brown rice, chicken breast, broccoli and drink lemon water. It’s absolutely disgusting.

I love my Frosted Flakes and oj. I’d like to keep my youthful energy thank you very much.
You love reduced iron?

dreamcatcher

It took me awhile.

So when I was growing up, I drank milk with no problems.

Even though it was decades ago. I hadn't drank milk for 40 years. But I had no problem with ice cream or cream or cheese.

When I started Peat-inspired eating I got bad diarrhea when I drank regular milk. I found that lactose-free (LF) milk worked okay.

I've tried phasing in regular milk by gradually adding it to the LF milk, but it never seemed to work.

I had also tried thyroid which didn't see to affect me. A year or so later, when my PUFAs were more depleted (I used to eat literally pounds of pistachios a week and eat 2 avocados a day etc.) thyroid began working for me.

I did a few "Steve Richfield" style "resets" and my temps with thyroid now rise into the mid 98 F. during the day. I'm still a bit hypo (waking around 97.1 or so) but it's in the right direction.

So I started phasing in regular milk again. I bought some lactase drops (liquid with lactase in water; you can buy lactase in solid form but it is loaded with excipients) and added first a few drops, then just one or two drops or so to regular milk, then mixed it and drank it with LF milk. This dose is very low.

Eventually over the past few weeks, I simply drank more of the regular milk and less of the LF milk. Now I am on a day where I do not have any LF milk at all.

One switch I made recently that may have made this easier was going to A2 milk. There are now several brands and I'm drinking Snowville milk that is not ultra pasteurized at high temps, not homogenized, and A2.
Congratulations!!

dreamcatcher

So just as a follow up...

I drink about 1/2 gallon of LF 1% milk a day and really do well with it.

If I eat calcium supplements I get heartburn it seems. Messes me up.

I heard Dr. Peat mentioning in passing the benefits of calcium when already part of foods you eat. Supplementing is okay for some people and for some things, but for me calcium supplementation seems to mess up my GI system so I am stopping it. I have to get calcium from eating dairy products I suppose, which is fine with me.
Ray Peat told me that calcium from dairy products is better absorbed than from eggshell calcium, for instance. And that there was a study in China and they found out that milk drinkers had less dementia.
I also recently reintroduced milk after not having dairy products for over 3 months and can tolerate it well, without any side effects. I think, improving liver health also contributed to the positive experience.

LUH 3417

Ray Peat told me that calcium from dairy products is better absorbed than from eggshell calcium, for instance. And that there was a study in China and they found out that milk drinkers had less dementia.
I also recently reintroduced milk after not having dairy products for over 3 months and can tolerate it well, without any side effects. I think, improving liver health also contributed to the positive experience.
I saw a post of your diet in another thread from a few months ago am just curious how you made the switch? Did you add it with meals or alone? My allergies are terrible and so I am going to do an elimination diet. I don’t suspect dairy is the culprit but I need to stop eating dairy to see what will happen.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals