Local pasteurized milk feed their cows this, is this a concern?

Near me their is a brand of milk that is ”low temperature vat pasteurized” and non homogenized. They have whole milk, 2%, skim,etc. with no added vitamins.
Their cows do eat grass but are also fed a feed, this is what it says about the feed on their website

“Our lactating cows eat about 100 pounds of feed everyday including silage, grain, and hay. We currently feed our lactating cattle a total mixed ration that includes a pre-mixed grain and corn silage. The pre-mixed grain includes distillers grain, soybeans, vitamins, minerals, cotton seed, and citrus pulp. It is purchased from a feed company located in Madison, GA. We do our best to make sure that the cows have feed in front of them at all times.”

Parts of the feed seems problematic, would it be a good idea to avoid this milk?

Last edited:

Lollipop2

Because of cows having two “stomachs” they can process these to remove any toxins or allergens. If you are doing fine, you might not need to stop. See if you can ask for the PUFA content of the milk.

J.R.K

Because of cows having two “stomachs” they can process these to remove any toxins or allergens. If you are doing fine, you might not need to stop. See if you can ask for the PUFA content of the milk.
Minor technical correction, ruminants have four stomachs, the rumen, reticulum, omasum, and abomasum.
The soy as well as the cottonseed would pop out as obvious concerns. The distillers grain would be one I would question if it was the mash that is discarded after it has been used to make the mash in alcohol beverage production. I would be unsure if this cooking process would be beneficial like sprouting grains or if it would have some negative aspects possibly due to fermentation.
A few questions to ask, if anyone knows I would also be curious to the answers.

Nick

“Our lactating cows eat about 100 pounds of feed everyday including silage, grain, and hay. We currently feed our lactating cattle a total mixed ration that includes a pre-mixed grain and corn silage. The pre-mixed grain includes distillers grain, soybeans, vitamins, minerals, cotton seed, and citrus pulp. It is purchased from a feed company located in Madison, GA. We do our best to make sure that the cows have feed in front of them at all times.”
I've had this milk and it tastes better to me than homogenized organic milk from the grocery store and it improved my allergies comparatively, I think because there are no added vitamins.

Also in Georgia, Rock House Creamery has very good non-homogenized grass fed milk. It tastes even better to me than some locally available raw milk. It's not just the better grass fed taste, the off tastes present in some milk are totally absent from the rock house creamery milk. I wonder if it is better sanitation practices or something like soap choices for the udder when milking.

Ras

This is the best milk you can find in the average grocery store in the US.

Nick

This is the best milk you can find in the average grocery store in the US.
Maybe it was a fluke but the one time I bought the Organic Valley "grassmilk" it tasted horrible to me. I assumed it was the ultra-pasteurization.

Dr. B

Near me their is a brand of milk that is ”low temperature vat pasteurized” and non homogenized. They have whole milk, 2%, skim,etc. with no added vitamins.
Their cows do eat grass but are also fed a feed, this is what it says about the feed on their website

Parts of the feed seems problematic, would it be a good idea to avoid this milk?

its not a 100% grass fed milk then right, they dont claim 100% grass fed either?
also if they are selling skim milk or 2% it has to have added vitamins. unless theyre selling it under the counter like a herdshare or private farmer contract like the raw milk farms. milk besides whole milk has to have added vitamin A and D

Back
Top Bottom