Happy Day: I Became Lactose TOLERANT

Runenight201

You love reduced iron?

I love seeing the history of my diet and thoughts when old posts come up. At the present moment, we always think we are right, and then only when we look at our past selves do we see how wrong we were. But what a great thing that is, because it shows that development has taken place and the individual is in a more knowledgeable position than they were once in.

A lot of my past dietary choices were based on riding an intense sugar high, which Frosted Flakes and oj provided. Now I don’t think iron should be added to anything, but the main problem with Frosted Flakes is that it is just too much sugar. Milk and sugar are a surefire way to ecstatic energy states, but they come at a cost, mostly by inhibiting perspicuous thought and encouraging rash behavior. So I had the energy of a child but the behavior of one at the same time, which is not very conducive towards proper self-actualization and competent action in the world.

dreamcatcher

I saw a post of your diet in another thread from a few months ago am just curious how you made the switch? Did you add it with meals or alone? My allergies are terrible and so I am going to do an elimination diet. I don’t suspect dairy is the culprit but I need to stop eating dairy to see what will happen.
@pinacolada

Do you think your allergies are the result of a possible bacterial overgrowth? That's what Ray Peat thought when I mentioned him about my condition. In that case, flowers of sulphur or charcoal powder might help. I would also add cyproheptadine because it's great to remove endotoxins.
My daughter didn't have regular bowel movements for years and after taking cyproheptadine for a month, she no longer has issues.
I think, a few months ago I followed a diet based on Chris Masterjohn's guidelines to heal my liver as I had terrible insomnia for over 10 years. So I drastically reduced fruit intake along with dairy for over 3 months. My sleep is great since.
Then I just decided to see if I could drink milk again without side effects as I was worried that my calcium levels might be low; and drank about 400ml with coffee and gelatin. So since then it's part of my diet again.
I'm not sure if the same approach would work in your case. Temporary elimination of certain foods might help..along with improving thyroid function. Do you take any thyroid medication?
I never had digestive issues, only insomnia, fatigue and eye bags. They're all cured and now my diet is based on Dr Peat's guidelines again but with more starches ( potatoes, rice and sourdough rye bread), small amounts of fruits; and milk. I'm being careful.

LUH 3417

@pinacolada

Do you think your allergies are the result of a possible bacterial overgrowth? That's what Ray Peat thought when I mentioned him about my condition. In that case, flowers of sulphur or charcoal powder might help. I would also add cyproheptadine because it's great to remove endotoxins.
My daughter didn't have regular bowel movements for years and after taking cyproheptadine for a month, she no longer has issues.
I think, a few months ago I followed a diet based on Chris Masterjohn's guidelines to heal my liver as I had terrible insomnia for over 10 years. So I drastically reduced fruit intake along with dairy for over 3 months. My sleep is great since.
Then I just decided to see if I could drink milk again without side effects as I was worried that my calcium levels might be low; and drank about 400ml with coffee and gelatin. So since then it's part of my diet again.
I'm not sure if the same approach would work in your case. Temporary elimination of certain foods might help..along with improving thyroid function. Do you take any thyroid medication?
I never had digestive issues, only insomnia, fatigue and eye bags. They're all cured and now my diet is based on Dr Peat's guidelines again but with more starches ( potatoes, rice and sourdough rye bread), small amounts of fruits; and milk. I'm being careful.
I’ve taken cyproheptadine and it didn’t do much for my allergies. I also always gain weight when I get on it which seems to just make my breathing worse because it’s like the weight gain causes pressure on my diaphragm and just exacerbates my breathlessness. I’ve also taken doxycycline, 50-100mg per day in 10 day cycles totaling 30 days. I recently began thyroid (cytomel and cynplus) and my allergies have improved but I would like to eliminate dairy, gluten, and cut down on fruits just to see how it goes. I tried the FoS remedy too, didn’t help long term.

Last edited:

dreamcatcher

I’ve taken cyproheptadine and it didn’t do much for my allergies. I also always gain weight when I get on it which seems to just make my breathing worse because it’s like the weight gain causes pressure on my diaphragm and just exacerbates my breathlessness. I’ve also taken doxycycline, 50-100mg per day in 10 day cycles totaling 30 days. I recently began thyroid (cytomel and cynplus) and my allergies have improved but I would like to eliminate dairy, gluten, and cut down on fruits just to see how it goes. I tried the FoS remedy too, didn’t help long term.
I'm sorry to hear that. I don't think I'm knowledgeable enough to help but perhaps other members on here. If you're on thyroid supplements, your body's nutrient requirements will increase and it's important to consume sufficient calories, minerals and vitamins. Perhaps @Blossom could chime in.

Peater Piper

I think, a few months ago I followed a diet based on Chris Masterjohn's guidelines to heal my liver as I had terrible insomnia for over 10 years. So I drastically reduced fruit intake along with dairy for over 3 months.
More details? I've read some of Masterjohn's liver articles, but it's been a while. I know he's pretty big on choline and betaine, even methionine. Were you mostly eating starch and meat?

dreamcatcher

More details? I've read some of Masterjohn's liver articles, but it's been a while. I know he's pretty big on choline and betaine, even methionine. Were you mostly eating starch and meat?
That's right. I also had plenty of vegetables. I reduced my fruit and overall fat intake and made sure to eat enough choline in the source of eggs and liver. I replaced fruits with starches- mainly the Ray Peat 'friendly' ones.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
@pinacolada, what’s the dose of cyproheptadine that gave you those symptoms? It seems like a lot of people on the forum over the years have used about 0.5-1 mg with good results.

LUH 3417

@pinacolada, what’s the dose of cyproheptadine that gave you those symptoms? It seems like a lot of people on the forum over the years have used about 0.5-1 mg with good results.
I took 1mg-5mg for a few months on and off in 2017-2018 and gained 15-20lbs over that period. I dropped that weight this winter when I stopped dairy and cypro completely, but developed kidney stones and was waking up 10x a night to pee. I restarted Cypro and dairy again this spring and have regained all the weight plus some, and the shortness of breath, allergies and heavy breathing are getting worse now the outside temperature is starting to cool down. I also started thyroid a few weeks ago.

Cirion

Intolerance is the loudest and clearest way of your body telling you it doesn’t want it. Sometimes an intolerance is a sign of defect, most time it’s a natural warning sign. One could easily make the case that lactose tolerance is an abnormality, or a defect.

We haven't seen eye-to-eye on many of your posts, but I have to agree 100% on this part of your post right here.

If anything, lactose tolerance is rarer than lactose intolerance and yeah, one should never ever "Force" through intolerance. This is the mistake I've made with many Peat recommendations, milk included. I don't do well on milk, so I don't drink it. End of story. I have no interest any more in trying to make it work. Besides, my database seems to show that calcium actually has little impact on your health in the long run. The one thing I'll never agree w/ Peat on.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
I took 1mg-5mg for a few months on and off in 2017-2018 and gained 15-20lbs over that period. I dropped that weight this winter when I stopped dairy and cypro completely, but developed kidney stones and was waking up 10x a night to pee. I restarted Cypro and dairy again this spring and have regained all the weight plus some, and the shortness of breath, allergies and heavy breathing are getting worse now the outside temperature is starting to cool down. I also started thyroid a few weeks ago.
I feel your pain and wouldn’t continue with something that seems to cause that amount of weight gain whether it’s the cypro or the dairy or the combination. I personally feel infinitely better after losing 50 of the 60 pounds I gained trying to follow (my impression of) a Peat inspired diet. At a certain point you have to adapt things according to your own unique body response.

LUH 3417

I feel your pain and wouldn’t continue with something that seems to cause that amount of weight gain whether it’s the cypro or the dairy or the combination. I personally feel infinitely better after losing 50 of the 60 pounds I gained trying to follow (my impression of) a Peat inspired diet. At a certain point you have to adapt things according to your own unique body response.
Thank you, appreciate the response. I feel like I am gravitating towards cooked vegetables, potatoes, shellfish, meat and green tea. I immediately get the sniffles after drinking most milk.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
Thank you, appreciate the response. I feel like I am gravitating towards cooked vegetables, potatoes, shellfish, meat and green tea. I immediately get the sniffles after drinking most milk.
I’d go for it and stay mindful of how you feel. I wish I had done that sooner.

T

TheBeard

Intolerance is the loudest and clearest way of your body telling you it doesn’t want it. Sometimes an intolerance is a sign of defect, most time it’s a natural warning sign. One could easily make the case that lactose tolerance is an abnormality, or a defect.

Fat being desirable is just a concept made up by people who can’t lose weight. Besides fat feminists, also people doing the Peat diet wrong. I cheer for every single one of them, I mean I was in the same boat, listening less to Peat and more to self styled two week experts with unfounded hunches and misinterpreted gut feelings. The fat is good talk is a comical resignation, just another word for failure. No, being obese or overweight is almost never good.

Feel free to consider Aajonus Vonderplanitz a « self styled two week experts with unfounded hunches and misinterpreted gut feelings »

Well, I'm weighing the most I've ever weighed in the my life right now, 68 kg, thanks to cyproheptadine, and I'm much stronger now. I also feel much more resilient.

I'm not advocating morbid obesity, I'm just saying that you don't need to have a body fat percentage so low that you're sacrifing strength and well-being. Not obese, but not too skinny, and if I had to choose, I'd rather be overweight than underweight.

olive

.. the most anabolic diet I ever did was one on 6 meals, at least 5, which one of it main ingredients was something called “Get Big!” Which simply was a DIY recipe with: 2 L of milk, banana, ice cream, 3 or 6 boiled eggs, olive oil, powder protein. Sadly I wasn’t able to sustain such a demanding regime, and I was under heavy stress at the time, but I packed 11 Kg of weight in a month and 2 weeks. Obviously with some fat, but muscle growth was obvious. I’m planning to do a Peatier versión of it as soon as I have some extra money.
You do realise the body is only able to synthesise ~500g of muscle tissue per week, right? And that’s at max efficiency. Those 11kg you put on in two weeks was almost definitely 90+% water/fat accumulation.

Last edited:

ExCarniv

The only way I can tolerate milk is with coffee and as part of mashed potatoes.

If I drink milk straight with anything else, I have the runs to the toilet.

Peater Piper

That's right. I also had plenty of vegetables. I reduced my fruit and overall fat intake and made sure to eat enough choline in the source of eggs and liver. I replaced fruits with starches- mainly the Ray Peat 'friendly' ones.
Thank you. I'm leaning more and more toward that type of diet. I have a few problems that seem to be consistently exacerbated by dairy and fruit. I've refused to give them up completely since I love both, but it might be time to try eliminating them for a few months. I seem to function best on meat and starch.

dreamcatcher

Thank you. I'm leaning more and more toward that type of diet. I have a few problems that seem to be consistently exacerbated by dairy and fruit. I've refused to give them up completely since I love both, but it might be time to try eliminating them for a few months. I seem to function best on meat and starch.
You might be able to consume them again without issues after the elimination diet. That's what happened to me.

OP
ecstatichamster
How do you get sufficient calcium without dairy? High phosphorus in almost all foods raises parathyroid hormone and sets off an inflammatory sequence of events that may be responsible for much of the disease we see everywhere.

olive

How do you get sufficient calcium without dairy? High phosphorus in almost all foods raises parathyroid hormone and sets off an inflammatory sequence of events that may be responsible for much of the disease we see everywhere.
Calcium carbonate. Or if one had the time they could grind baked eggshells or eat pounds of leaves.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals