Is Pasteruzied Milk Really So Inferior To Raw Milk?

Jennifer

I agree, that there has to be more to it being the raw factor, because the two milks I compared, with the pics above, were both grass fed.

I’ve tried finding studies that compare the iron content of raw milk versus pasteurized milk but haven’t found any so far, however, one study comparing the bioavailability of iron in human milk versus cow’s milk reminded me that calcium inhibits iron absorption so whether it be 6% or 0%, I still don’t think milk is a good source of iron. Here is the abstract, in case anyone is interested:

Abstract​

Iron absorption from human milk and cow's milk was compared in the same subjects using two radio-iron tracers and extrinsic labeling of the iron. Previously observed higher iron absorption from human milk was confirmed as 19.5 +/- 17.3% (mean +/- SD) in cow's milk versus 48.0 +/- 25.5% in human milk; mean individual absorption ratio was 0.39 +/- 0.18 (p less than 0.0001). Cow's milk has a several times higher content of calcium, recently established to be a potent inhibitor of iron absorption. Adding calcium chloride to human milk in amounts to equate the calcium content of cow's milk significantly reduced iron absorption [39.1 +/- 17.8% (mean +/- SD) versus 21.3 +/- 10.6%]; mean individual absorption ratio with or without added calcium was 0.58 +/- 0.12 (mean +/- SD) (p less than 0.0001). Differences in calcium content could explain at least 70% of the difference in iron bioavailability between milks. It is suggested that the remaining 30% difference may mainly be an artifact related to inhomogeneous radioiron-labeling of milk iron compounds, especially in human milk, and that the main difference in true iron absorption between human and cow's milk is related to their different calcium contents. The rather high fractional iron absorption from human milk can be explained by its low iron content. There is nothing to indicate that human milk contains any enhancer of iron absorption. The marked inhibiting effect of calcium on iron absorption should be considered in the design of infant formulas to achieve an optimal balance in the contents of calcium and iron.

I’ve tried finding studies that compare the iron content of raw milk versus pasteurized milk but haven’t found any so far, however, one study comparing the bioavailability of iron in human milk versus cow’s milk reminded me that calcium inhibits iron absorption so whether it be 6% or 0%, I still don’t think milk is a good source of iron. Here is the abstract, in case anyone is interested:

Abstract​

Iron absorption from human milk and cow's milk was compared in the same subjects using two radio-iron tracers and extrinsic labeling of the iron. Previously observed higher iron absorption from human milk was confirmed as 19.5 +/- 17.3% (mean +/- SD) in cow's milk versus 48.0 +/- 25.5% in human milk; mean individual absorption ratio was 0.39 +/- 0.18 (p less than 0.0001). Cow's milk has a several times higher content of calcium, recently established to be a potent inhibitor of iron absorption. Adding calcium chloride to human milk in amounts to equate the calcium content of cow's milk significantly reduced iron absorption [39.1 +/- 17.8% (mean +/- SD) versus 21.3 +/- 10.6%]; mean individual absorption ratio with or without added calcium was 0.58 +/- 0.12 (mean +/- SD) (p less than 0.0001). Differences in calcium content could explain at least 70% of the difference in iron bioavailability between milks. It is suggested that the remaining 30% difference may mainly be an artifact related to inhomogeneous radioiron-labeling of milk iron compounds, especially in human milk, and that the main difference in true iron absorption between human and cow's milk is related to their different calcium contents. The rather high fractional iron absorption from human milk can be explained by its low iron content. There is nothing to indicate that human milk contains any enhancer of iron absorption. The marked inhibiting effect of calcium on iron absorption should be considered in the design of infant formulas to achieve an optimal balance in the contents of calcium and iron.

I agree with you Jennifer…

“Studies on human subjects have shown that calcium (Ca) can inhibit iron (Fe) absorption, regardless of whether it is given as Ca salts or in dairy products. This has caused concern as increased Ca intake commonly is recommended for children and women, the same populations that are at risk of Fe deficiency.”

Dr. B

other threads on the subject of milk quality mention one important fact that this one doesn't: milk that's milked with machines contains significant amounts of endocrine disruptive phthalates that leach from the plastic tubes. all supermarket milk contains phthalates, and raw organic milk milked with machines does too.

i milk goats at a friend's farm every summer in the states by hand, no machine. we all drink it raw, never had any problems. she also sells it, no one has ever had anything but compliments for it. i say that because some people might deem hand-milking unsafe, for whatever reason. now because her hands have developed arthritis from all the farm work, she started using a small milking machine recently when i was away. she's noticed that the milk spoils more quickly. she also notices that cleaning the machine is easier said than done. plus, she's noticed that spoilage is more akin to supermarket bought milk spoilage, meaning putrid and undrinkable, whereas before it was more like naturally acidic clabbered milk, and delicious.

also, milk straight from the teat, at body temperature, has a different effect than milk then cooled in iced water or afterwards heated, at least as far as i can see for myself.

ayurveda, as you know, treats milk as such: it is to be boiled (cooked) and spiced. someone mentioned ginger, but all spices (cloves, cardamon, anis, cinnamon, etc.) aid milk digestion. according to their theory, cold milk damages digestion and clogs channels, while boiled spiced milk acts as an elixir suitable to all body types.

Does heating the milk get rid of the phthalates? In that case pasteurized milk is safer than raw if both are milking using machines?
Also what about milk thats heated then cooled like pasteurized milk. Does it still count as cold milk

AlaskaJono

Does heating the milk get rid of the phthalates? In that case pasteurized milk is safer than raw if both are milking using machines?
Also what about milk thats heated then cooled like pasteurized milk. Does it still count as cold milk
Bottled water( in plastic) contains phthalates. So if it is in your car and heats up, still it has phthalates. So, I don't think you are going to find that 170F heating of milk that has phthalates, and then cooled, will magically not have phthalates. There is nothing absolutely safe, so just buy and drink Raw milk if you like it, and if you don't then get the next best thing.

There is a process here in Australia where they Cold Press the milk. And served in plastic. ??? Anyhow, it is very good. So milk from your friend's cow, OR in a glass bottle is best. As always. There is one dairy here in Tas that sells Biodynamic Organic milk in a 1 litre bottle for 6.50-7.00$ a Litre. Kinda expensive, but very delicious. They also make cheese, and it is fantastic, and very, very expensive. So, I don't get it very often.

Talkin' bout milk products.......

1698560218337.png
This is Wombaroo milk powder, which I do not recommend for human consumption. NOTE: it does taste slightly better than camel milk, but... not my go to in any case.
I had to bottle-feed a Pademelon joey with this powerdered 'milk' for a month 2 years ago ( Pademelons are a small Macropod related to Wallabies and Kangaroos) . Little Nutmeg was soooo cute. Her Mama died and my friends' had me feed her while they were on vacation. She would be released near a mob when big enough. This below is what's in it.

Ingredients

Whole milk solids (low lactose), whey protein, casein, vegetable oils, omega-3 & 6 fatty acids, vitamins A, B1, B2, B3, B5, B6, B9, B12, C, D3, E, K, biotin, choline, calcium, phosphorus, potassium, sodium, magnesium, zinc, iron, manganese, copper, iodine, selenium.

Typical Analysis

Protein30%
Fat42%
Ash5%
Moisture3%
Energy (ME)25 MJ/kg

Key Features

• Specifically formulated to match the composition of late lactation kangaroo milk.
  • High energy (fat content) milk, to cater for increased activity levels.
  • Low in carbohydrate to aid in digestion and assist weaning onto solid foods.
  • High levels of protein to coincide with the peak growth rate.

Jennifer

I agree with you Jennifer…

“Studies on human subjects have shown that calcium (Ca) can inhibit iron (Fe) absorption, regardless of whether it is given as Ca salts or in dairy products. This has caused concern as increased Ca intake commonly is recommended for children and women, the same populations that are at risk of Fe deficiency.”

Good find!

Dr. B

Bottled water( in plastic) contains phthalates. So if it is in your car and heats up, still it has phthalates. So, I don't think you are going to find that 170F heating of milk that has phthalates, and then cooled, will magically not have phthalates. There is nothing absolutely safe, so just buy and drink Raw milk if you like it, and if you don't then get the next best thing.

There is a process here in Australia where they Cold Press the milk. And served in plastic. ??? Anyhow, it is very good. So milk from your friend's cow, OR in a glass bottle is best. As always. There is one dairy here in Tas that sells Biodynamic Organic milk in a 1 litre bottle for 6.50-7.00$ a Litre. Kinda expensive, but very delicious. They also make cheese, and it is fantastic, and very, very expensive. So, I don't get it very often.

Talkin' bout milk products.......

View attachment 57497 This is Wombaroo milk powder, which I do not recommend for human consumption. NOTE: it does taste slightly better than camel milk, but... not my go to in any case.
I had to bottle-feed a Pademelon joey with this powerdered 'milk' for a month 2 years ago ( Pademelons are a small Macropod related to Wallabies and Kangaroos) . Little Nutmeg was soooo cute. Her Mama died and my friends' had me feed her while they were on vacation. She would be released near a mob when big enough. This below is what's in it.

Ingredients

Whole milk solids (low lactose), whey protein, casein, vegetable oils, omega-3 & 6 fatty acids, vitamins A, B1, B2, B3, B5, B6, B9, B12, C, D3, E, K, biotin, choline, calcium, phosphorus, potassium, sodium, magnesium, zinc, iron, manganese, copper, iodine, selenium.

Typical Analysis

Protein30%
Fat42%
Ash5%
Moisture3%
Energy (ME)25 MJ/kg

Key Features

• Specifically formulated to match the composition of late lactation kangaroo milk.
  • High energy (fat content) milk, to cater for increased activity levels.
  • Low in carbohydrate to aid in digestion and assist weaning onto solid foods.
  • High levels of protein to coincide with the peak growth rate.

That kangaroo milk has the same nutrients of any milk, maybe different ratios and overall amounts.
I would pay up to $7 for a 2 liter bottle of milk if its really good quality. $7 per liter is too much. Camel milk is even more than that i believe.

Does heating the milk in a metal container actually help remove phthalates though? Milk in plastic bottles likely will be refrigerated during the entire process.
There are some milks also available in glass bottles. But I would think there is still a drawback. So the glass bottles tend to be recycled and reused for milk. So there could be some small remnants of whatever cleaning ingredients they used on the glass bottle. On a plastic bottle they dont get reused for milk.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals
Back
Top Bottom