High Nitric Oxide As The Cause For Mental Illness/depression

ddjd

I've been experimenting as of late with a few supplements that raise nitric oxide, because I find my sleep quality improves drastically, and my insomnia problems disappear. I know peat would not approve.

Despite the restorative and long sleep, with all the increased nitric oxide, I notice, a huge cloud of depression and low mood come over me the next day.

To counteract, I can take Methylene Blue, Caffeine, Nicotine, (all Nitric Oxide inhibitors!) and all of a sudden the world feels ok again. Just my personal theory, but I suspect high nitric oxide is heavily involved in depression, at least for myself.

Tenacity

"The nitric oxide in a person's exhaled breath can be used to diagnose some diseases, and it probably also reflects the level of their emotional well-being."

New Page Title Here

lampofred

Nitric oxide makes you go into unconscious torpor, not regenerative sleep.

Cirion

Restorative sleep would not result in depression or low mood.

In fact, if sleep is restful, you shouldn't need a lot of sleep in the first place. I historically sleep a long time up to 12 hr precisely because my sleep is not restful. A youthful metabolism may be able to get by with 6 or 7 quality hours but certainly not that much more than 8.

Focus should be on quality, not length.

smith

Maybe it relaxes you enough (through brain vasodilation) to become consciously aware of something you've kept hidden from yourself :eek::confused:

Screenshot-2019-02-09-at-5-23-32-AM-Edited.png
[/url][/IMG]
ysGGzvK

UGH, why the hell are image "uploads not available"?? :punch::punch:

Anyway, here's some blues clues: 10 Acetylcholine Benefits + Function, Definition & Supplements - Selfhacked (skip to the depression part)

Last edited:

Dobbler

Depression is a b**** because there is literally million different causes for it...

RobertJM

Prohably the best supplement I’ve had success with on this forum is Ceylon cinnamon, which also potently decreases NO (as per threads on this forum). Not sure why, but without it I have zero libido. With it (in my life) I have a libido. Could be it’s effect on ammonia clearance and/or NO lowering effects.

What I love about this supplement is that it comes with benefits that the big claims that are spoken of (like your aspirin/niacinamide’s, etc), but also that it actually delivers on these big **** claims 100% as well....

Makrosky

Prohably the best supplement I’ve had success with on this forum is Ceylon cinnamon, which also potently decreases NO (as per threads on this forum). Not sure why, but without it I have zero libido. With it (in my life) I have a libido. Could be it’s effect on ammonia clearance and/or NO lowering effects.

What I love about this supplement is that it comes with benefits that the big claims that are spoken of (like your aspirin/niacinamide’s, etc), but also that it actually delivers on these big **** claims 100% as well....
How much do you take ? I would like to know how ammonia clearance feels like

Terma

What happens if you combine those NO supps with a "light" NMDA antagonist? "light" = you can feel it, but not enough to keep you awake (which they can do)

Of course there's magnesium but it's too broad-acting to be meaningful. Maybe something already geared toward sleep, like DXM in cough meds?

This way you could help isolate which NOS types is affecting you by lowering nNOS, which is a major form involved in depression, the other being iNOS, but it'll depend on your dysfunction. The issue is finding a highly specific-enough NMDA antagonist (you could do better than DXM, but it's a start).

Alternatively you could try something that lowers glutamate release. Maybe theanine, I can't remember if it did that or not.

Finally: What's your blood pressure like?

RobertJM

How much do you take ? I would like to know how ammonia clearance feels like

To me it’s just an aliviation of something from my mental sphere. I better champion the guy (Haidut again lol), so all of his threads on Ceylon cinnamon are what got me interested in it. He did quite a few on it (including on NO).

Just read my last post back. I wasn’t criticising aspirin or niacinamide. It just seems with them, they nail so many things and are almost ‘super supplements’, but they come with so much baggage (as well for me personally), and tolerability for many doesn’t seem great.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals