Is Nitric Oxide Important For Sleep?

ddjd

I've been peating for 4-5 years now and unfortunately I can't say that my sleep has ever been that good during this time, except for when I take cyproheptadine but that leaves me sleepy for a few days after taking it.

Anyway, I've come to the realisation that nitric oxide is the one thing that helps me sleep. And unsurprisingly all the peaty things counteract nitric oxide so it makes sense why my sleep has got worse.

I tested it by taking arginine as an experiment and sure enough I slept like a log.

Also see this;
https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2006/09/060908094456.htm

Last edited:

Lurker

I believe carbon dioxide is the Peat preferred molecule stating NO is a stress reaction. Maybe try some bag breathing before bed.

OP
ddjd

ddjd

I believe carbon dioxide is the Peat preferred molecule stating NO is a stress reaction. Maybe try some bag breathing before bed.
Apparantly adenosine regulates sleep cycles and Nitric oxide controls adenosine production

Lurker

Apparantly adenosine regulates sleep cycles and Nitric oxide controls adenosine production

Is it only NO that controls adenosine and adenosine the only regulator of sleep cycles? Probably not. Usually there are multiple factors. It’s never as simple as one thing controls another thing that has a single effect.

A quick search turns up this:
Adenosine formation increases during hypoxia and increased oxygen consumption, especially if the latter is accompanied by inadequate oxygen delivery.
CV Physiology | Metabolic Mechanisms of Vasodilation

Same article:
Carbon dioxide formation increases during states of increased oxidative metabolism. It readily diffuses from parenchymal cells in which it is produced to the vascular smooth muscle of blood vessels where it causes vasodilation.

Adenosine is produced as natural degradation of ATP. So as energy levels drop, sleep pressure is increased. Sleep problems are caused by not enough energy (ATP) or other interferences in the natural rhythms. I don’t think intentionally boosting NO->hypoxia->adenosine will produce healthy sleep mechanism.