The Anticancer Effect Of Quinones Like Vitamin K May Be Reduction Of NO

haidut

Forum Supporter
Ray said in one of his recent interviews that Pau D'Arco is a good natural alternative to Methylene Blue as a compound that will reduce NO synthesis and restore metabolism. That got me thinking that quinones in general could probably reduce levels of NO, and that would be their major effect against cancer. After doing some research I think this may be a valid hypothesis. The good news is that it seems all quinones are able to reduce synthesis of NO bu to varying degrees. Substances like vitamin K, CoQ10 (high dose), and the tetracycline antibiotics may be good alternatives to methylene blue for lowering NO synthesis. Although, I think only methylene blue (and red light) can actually displace NO from its binding to cytochrome c.
Here are some studies to back this up.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9576846/

"...These reactions of NO with cytochrome c are likely to be relevant to mitochondrial metabolism of NO. Ferricytochrome c can act as a reversible sink for excess NO in the mitochondria. The reduction of NO to NO- by ferrocytochrome c may play a role in the irreversible inhibition of mitochondrial oxygen consumption by peroxynitrite. It is generally assumed that peroxynitrite would be formed in mitochondria via the reaction of NO with superoxide. The finding that NO- is formed from the reaction of NO and ferrocytochrome c provides a means of producing peroxynitrite in the absence of superoxide, via the reaction of NO- with oxygen."

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2753477/

"...The quinones 1,4-naphthoquinone, methyl-1,4-naphthoquinone, tetramethyl-1,4-benzoquinone, 2,3-dimethoxy-5-methyl-1,4-benzoquinone, 2,6-dimethylbenzoquinone, 2,6-dimethoxybenzoquinone, and 9,10-phenanthraquinone enhance the rate of nitric oxide reduction by xanthine/xanthine oxidase in nitrogen-saturated phosphate buffer (pH 7.4). Maximum initial rates of NO reduction (Vmax) and the amount of nitrous oxide produced after 5 min of reaction increase with quinone one- and two-electron redox potentials measured in acetonitrile. One of the most active quinones of those studied is 9,10-phenanthraquinone with a Vmax value 10 times larger than that corresponding to the absence of quinone, under the conditions of this work. Because NO production is enhanced under hypoxia and under certain pathological conditions, the observations obtained in this work are very relevant to such conditions."

http://www.arkat-usa.org/get-file/23192/

"...β-Lapachone is a chemotherapeutic agent that inhibits the expression of nitric oxide (NO) and inducible NO synthase (iNOS) in al veolar macrophages. Moon et al. investigated the molecular mechanism of β-lapachone on lipopolysaccharide (LPS)-induced responses in BV2 microglia. They found that treatment of
β-lapachone significantly inhibited NO and PGE2 release in LPS-stimulated BV2 microglia. The inhibition of iNOS and COX-2 was also observed suggesting the blockage of transcriptional levels
. In addition, β-lapachone attenuated the expression of mRNA and proteins of pro-inflammatory cytokines, such as interleukin (IL)-1β, IL-6 and tumor necrosis factor (TNF)-α in a dose-dependent manner. These results showed that β-lapachone may be useful as a potential anti-inflammatory agent for attenuating inflammatory diseases.

I have also attached a table from the second study showing the relative effectiveness of the various quinones. Vitamin K (1,4-napthoquinone) is not the most potent but it does have decent activity.

Attachments

• quinones.png
    quinones.png
    47.6 KB · Views: 1,528
Re: The anticancer effect of quinones may be reduction of NO

haidut said:
significantly inhibited NO and PGE2 release in LPS-stimulated BV2 microglia. The inhibition of iNOS and COX-2 was also observed suggesting the blockage of transcriptional levels

It's crazy, it all comes down to restoring the electron flow. How many decades have we lost?

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter

Such_Saturation said:
haidut said:
significantly inhibited NO and PGE2 release in LPS-stimulated BV2 microglia. The inhibition of iNOS and COX-2 was also observed suggesting the blockage of transcriptional levels

It's crazy, it all comes down to restoring the electron flow. How many decades have we lost?

If you start counting from the time when Koch cured cancer patients, it's probably 8 decades. But his work on the electron flow began much earlier in the 1900s so it's basically a lost century for medicine.

moss

A little more info about Quinones/Napthoquinones with regards to Pau d'arco from

"THE CONSTITUENTS OF MEDICINAL PLANTS"
Andrew Pengelly 1996

Quinones
"Quinones itself is benzoquinone, a diketone, which undergoes reversible oxidation-reduction (redox) reactions in the presence of reductase enzymes. The reduced form of quinone is hydoquinone which, as noted above, occurs as the glycoside arbutin. Many of the more complex compounds including some napthoquinones and anthraquinones have phenolic structures.
Quinones form an important component of the electron transport system in plants and mammals. Ubiquinol, the reduced form of co-enzyme Q10 and menaquinone or vitamin K have significant anti-oxidant properties, playing a major role in protecting cells from free-radical damage [Cadenas & Hochstein 1992]. These two compounds are virtually universal and hence not classed among the secondary metabolites [Brunton 1995]. Any of four different metabolic pathways may be involved in quinone biosynthesis [Harbone & Baxter 1993].

Many quinones are known to induce contact dermatitis and respiratory reactions in susceptible people. Napthoquinones including lapachol and others found in the ebony family (Ebenaceae) have been associated with these reactions [Brunton 1995].

Napthoquinones
These are dark yellow pigments with interesting pharmacological properties. The hair dye henna is derived from the plant Lawsonia inermis (Lythraceae) which contains the napthoquinone lawsone linked to a sugar (ie. a gylcoside). Other napthoquinones have antimicrobial and antifungal properties. These include juglone from the walnut - juglans regia and Butternut - J.cineria (Juglandaceae), which occurs in leaves and stain derived rich in hydrolysable tannins, hence they are of benefit for piles and venous insufficiency. Juglone is a laxative and vermifuge agent.
Other napthoquinones with potent antimicrobial properties are plumbagin from the Sundew Drosera rotundiflora (Droseraceae) and lapachol from Pau d'arco - Tabebuia impetiginose and spp. (Bignoniaceae)."

narouz

Something I don't understand
because I'm a nitwit at chemistry
is...

I don't think we can say as a blanket statement
that all quinones are helpful
(not saying that anyone is saying that, just...an inference that might be entertained).
Because, for example,
those modern quinone antibiotics,
the ones with chlorine in them...Ciprofloxacin)
they would seem to be pretty dangerous, right?
So that's one general thought I'd like to confirm.

A more specific related question concerns tetracycline...another quinone.
I know Peat approves of it used appropriately.
But here's what I don't understand:
Am I being distracted by its labeling by the medical establishment
as an antibiotic?
I mean, I know it definitely has antibiotic properties.
But it also has a whole lot of other beneficial effects, as Peat has enumerated
(just as Pau D'Arco has antibiotic effects as one of many beneficial properties).

I've been wondering if I could take tetracycline sporadically, like I take Pau D'Arco
or Vit K or COQ10.
Or, is it so powerful as an antibiotic,
that it would be bad for intestinal flora or have other negative effects?

And on the subject of COQ10...
which would be better to take: COQ10 or Ubiquinone?

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter

narouz said:
Something I don't understand
because I'm a nitwit at chemistry
is...

I don't think we can say as a blanket statement
that all quinones are helpful
(not saying that anyone is saying that, just...an inference that might be entertained).
Because, for example,
those modern quinone antibiotics,
the ones with chlorine in them...Ciprofloxacin)
they would seem to be pretty dangerous, right?
So that's one general thought I'd like to confirm.

A more specific related question concerns tetracycline...another quinone.
I know Peat approves of it used appropriately.
But here's what I don't understand:
Am I being distracted by its labeling by the medical establishment
as an antibiotic?
I mean, I know it definitely has antibiotic properties.
But it also has a whole lot of other beneficial effects, as Peat has enumerated
(just as Pau D'Arco has antibiotic effects as one of many beneficial properties).

I've been wondering if I could take tetracycline sporadically, like I take Pau D'Arco
or Vit K or COQ10.
Or, is it so powerful as an antibiotic,
that it would be bad for intestinal flora or have other negative effects?

And on the subject of COQ10...
which would be better to take: COQ10 or Ubiquinone?

I changed the title to say quinones like vitamin K, so we narrow the claim a bit.
As far as your other point - all the quinones I have seen so far in clinical or herbal use have antibiotic properties. Not sure if this is a general property of all quinones but it does seem to be present in all the ones being used medically in humans or animals. I guess it's a matter of antibiotic potency, like Peat said. At the lower end you have things like vitamin K and emodin and at the higher end you get things like tetracycline and lapachon.
Finally - ubiquinone is used in US to refer to CoQ10 but I think in theory all the COQx substances (from COQ1 to CoQ10) can be called a ubiquinones.

narouz

Thanks, haidut.
(I wasn't bitching about the title, btw. :D )

I guess Methylene Blue is a quinone too?
So now we have quite an arsenal of them,
some of which we've/you've discussed using in Peatian modes...

I used tetracycline briefly and saw some positive effects pretty quickly
that I did not see in minocycline
(isn't minocycline a quinone?).

So...I guess I was thinking about sortuv circulating my use of the quinones we've mentioned:
-vit K
-ubiquinone
-methylene blue
-tetracycline
-Pau D'Arco
-Cascara Sagrada
-have I left any out I might, Peatanically, consider?

We talk a lot about supplementing vitamin K...
Why not similar talk about ubiquinone/COQ10?

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
narouz said:
Thanks, haidut.
(I wasn't bitching about the title, btw. :D )

I guess Methylene Blue is a quinone too?
So now we have quite an arsenal of them,
some of which we've/you've discussed using in Peatian modes...

I used tetracycline briefly and saw some positive effects pretty quickly
that I did not see in minocycline
(isn't minocycline a quinone?).

So...I guess I was thinking about sortuv circulating my use of the quinones we've mentioned:
-vit K
-ubiquinone
-methylene blue
-tetracycline
-Pau D'Arco
-Cascara Sagrada
-have I left any out I might, Peatanically, consider?

We talk a lot about supplementing vitamin K...
Why not similar talk about ubiquinone/COQ10?

I think you missed the anthraquinones, which is a family that includes emodin and the sennosides from the Senna tree. There are certainly more but I am not a botanist/chemist so I would not know the full list available in nature. Maybe Peat has a more extensive list.
There have been some sporadic discussions on CoQ10 on the forum. Have you done a search for it?

moss

More info on anthraquinones from

THE CONSTITUENTS OF MEDICINAL PLANTS
By Andrew Pengelly 1996

Anthraquinones
"Also known as anthracene glycosides, since anthracene was the first compound isolated, by the French chemist Dumas and Lambert, in 1832. Anthraquinones are yellow-brown pigments and many plants which contain them have a history of use as dyes for textiles eg. Rubia tinctoria – dyers madder. The aglycones consist of two or more phenols linked with a third carbon ring. Hydroxyl groups always occur at positions 1 and 8, hence they are 1,8 anthraquinones which form)-glycosides.

Experimental investigations with the most widely prescribed anthraquinones – sennosides A & B – show they pass through the stomach and small intestine unaltered, but that in the cecum and colon they are converted to dianthrones (their aglycones) by microorganisms. The dianthrones, which remain unabsorbed, are further transformed into anthrone and anthraquinone, producing hydragogue and laxative effects in the process [Adzet & Camarasa 1988]. The laxative effect is thought to occur as a result of increased peristalsis action and inhibition of water and electrolyte resorbtion by the intestinal mucosa. There is no evidence of direct irritation of the bowel mucosa [Brunton 1995].

Therapeutic use of anthraquinones
The composition of glycosides and their derivatives in antraquinone containing plants determines their effectiveness as laxatives. The gentlest acting laxatives in this group belong to the buckthorns (Rhamus catharticus and R. frangula) and rhubarb (Rheum palmatum). Inn both cases the herbs are aged for at least a year during which the more irritant anthraquinone derivatives are converted to milder acting compounds. The presence of tannins also tends to moderate the laxative effect.

Aloes (Aloe barbadensis) and Senna spp. are the other commonly used laxative agents in this class. Senna syrup commonly prescribed for children and may be used during pregnancy and lactation for limited periods. Otherwise anthraquinones are contra-indicated during pregnancy. The duration of action is around 8 hours, and is usually taken before bed.

Due to the stimulant effect of these laxatives, they are contra-indicated in irritable/spastic colon conditions. A slight overdoes can produce gripping and discomfort, an effect which is generally counter-balanced by the presence of carminatives, eg. peppermint, coriander oil.
It is unwise to rely on these remedies alone when treating chronic constipation, since dependence can result. The anti-septic effects of anthraquinones deters the growth of enteric pathogens. Some anthraquinones and napthoquinones significantly inhibit Epstein-Barr virus early antigen activation of low dosses [Konoshima et al 1989].

Hypericum, the dark red pigment from Hypericum perforatum is a dehydrodianthrone, structurally an anthraquinone. However, it does not break down to anthraquinone in the bowel and is without laxative action. Hypericum has been thoroughly investigated and used (generally in Hypericum extracts standardised to hypericin content) for antidepressant and antiviral activities [Bombardelli & Morazzoni 1995]."

http://aac.asm.org/content/35/12/2463.f ... 239cbb5cc8

http://raypeat.com/articles/articles/ca ... buse.shtml

A word of caution: anthraquinones will stimulate peristalsis activity and popularly used as laxative substances. The downside use of some of the anthraquinones, particularly those based on aloes, can have very significant congestive effect of the pelvic musculature so be aware of contraindications where there may by dysfunctional bleeding/fibroids and conditions where pelvic spasms may occur. e.g. aloes are contraindicated in pregnancy situations.

Why do they tend to increase intestinal permeability?

pboy

haidut said:
Such_Saturation said:
haidut said:

If you start counting from the time when Koch cured cancer patients, it's probably 8 decades. But his work on the electron flow began much earlier in the 1900s so it's basically a lost century for medicine.

yea man its pretty crazy, people just wont let go of the 'anti oxidant' thing...like everyone, even on KMUD interviews...they just don't seem to get it, and Peat trying to be polite never says ' no youre wrong' but always has to try to correct things without being rude

Even the host is like 'they have a potent free radical scavenging ability' or 'they tend to soak of free radical electrons' and Peat is like ...no, they oxidize and acidify the cell...which is actually what you want, and the more and faster the flow is, the less unnecessary free radicals are formed. The only 'anti oxidants' you actually want, that fit into the proper places in the respiratory chain, are like vit C E and ubiquinone...and even they are mostly, when healthy, in the oxidized state...they just temporarily become reduced as electrons flow through but should quickly re acidify

johns74

^ i think you're wrong about those being the 'only anti oxidants you need'. there is a wide variety of substances that act like antioxidants. two you didn't mention there are vitamin k2 and ketones.

moss

lexis said:
papaya leaf extract does the same thing
Hi lexis
Papaya is a fabulous fruit with many benefits but I was unaware it contained anthraquinones.

Such_Saturation said:
Why do they tend to increase intestinal permeability?

Good question s_s, not sure anthraquinones increase intestinal permeability but believe the primary function is stimulation of muscle contraction including irritation of the bowel wall.

pboy said:
haidut said:
Such_Saturation said:
haidut said:

yea man its pretty crazy, people just wont let go of the 'anti oxidant' thing...like everyone, even on KMUD interviews...they just don't seem to get it, and Peat trying to be polite never says ' no youre wrong' but always has to try to correct things without being rude

Even the host is like 'they have a potent free radical scavenging ability' or 'they tend to soak of free radical electrons' and Peat is like ...no, they oxidize and acidify the cell...which is actually what you want, and the more and faster the flow is, the less unnecessary free radicals are formed. The only 'anti oxidants' you actually want, that fit into the proper places in the respiratory chain, are like vit C E and ubiquinone...and even they are mostly, when healthy, in the oxidized state...they just temporarily become reduced as electrons flow through but should quickly re acidify

Hi pboy
Perhaps Context Is Everything - we are all learning and with regards to anti-oxidants and the KMUD host, if you read or listen to the interview, Thinking Outside The Box - Cancer Treatments (2014) - he does state, and like for so many others who have been, “under the mistaken belief that anti-oxidants are always good for you…”

Attachments

• KMUD Thinking Outside the Box Cancer Treatments.pdf
    95.5 KB · Views: 84
OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
johns74 said:
^ i think you're wrong about those being the 'only anti oxidants you need'. there is a wide variety of substances that act like antioxidants. two you didn't mention there are vitamin k2 and ketones.

I posted I study on uric acid, which according to Peat, is the true antioxidant in the body that we actually need to increase. Some people believe uric acid is the reason humans and primates live for so long. Here is the thread:
viewtopic.php?t=4437

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals