Nitric Oxide (NO) May Be A Causative Factor In Schizophrenia

haidut

Forum Supporter
I am always pleased to see studies like this as they indicate that at least in some medical circles common sense has not left the building. If the study below is correct, it would explain the beneficial effects on schizophrenia of substances like glycine, famotidine, minocycline, pregnenolone, progesterone, DHEA, cyproheptadine, methylene blue etc. They all have in common the effect of lowering NO production or directly scavenging existing NO from the cell/blood.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26029110

"...Here, we review the recent data and current concepts on the roles of nitric oxide (NO) and related molecules in the pathogenesis of schizophrenia. NO is involved in storage, uptake and release of mediators and neurotransmitters, including glutamate, acetylcholine, noradrenaline, GABA, taurine and glycine. In addition, NO diffuses across cell membranes and activates its own extrasynaptic receptors. Further, NO is involved in peroxidation and reactive oxidative stress. Investigations reveal significant disturbances in NO levels in the brain structures (cerebellum, hypothalamus, hippocampus, striatum) and fluids of subjects with schizophrenia. Given the roles of NO in central nervous system development, these changes may result in neurodevelopmental changes associated with schizophrenia. We describe here the recent literature on NOS gene polymorphisms on schizophrenia, which all point to consistent results. We also discuss how NO may be a new target for the therapy of mental disorders. Currently there have been 2 randomized double-blind placebo-controlled trials of L-lysine as an NOS inhibitor in the CNS."

Parsifal

Interesting, my sister has been diagnosed with schizophrenia since 2 months. Don't know if I will be able to make her try some Methylene Blue though...

I wonder what causes the hallucinations and strange belief system that comes with this psychosis.

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
Interesting, my sister has been diagnosed with schizophrenia since 2 months. Don't know if I will be able to make her try some Methylene Blue though...

I wonder what causes the hallucinations and strange belief system that comes with this psychosis.

Exhaustion and energetic dysfunction in general can cause psychosis. Ray wrote about a state he was in long time ago when he was very tired and his mind would just not shut up and one thought would lead to another and continue like that even in his dreams. And his dreaming was excessively verbal, which is a sign of high estrogen/serotonin usually.

James_001

Exhaustion and energetic dysfunction in general can cause psychosis. Ray wrote about a state he was in long time ago when he was very tired and his mind would just not shut up and one thought would lead to another and continue like that even in his dreams. And his dreaming was excessively verbal, which is a sign of high estrogen/serotonin usually.

Can you linked me to this writing?

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
How about B1 using for that kind of problem ?

It should, yes. But likely better anti-NO substances are niacinamide, methlyene blue, aspirin, emodin, etc.

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
Can you linked me to this writing?

As you are probably aware of the tendency of schizophrenic to have both auditory and visual halllucinations, especially with weird/partial color schemes, the below quote is very relevant.
Peat also wrote that the schizophrenics are so exhausted that they cannot develop cancer. Most schizophrenics never develop cancer of any kind even though more than 90% of them smoke and many drink and do drugs as well.

https://raypeatforum.com/community/threads/mind-blow-dream-pressure.5427/
"...During exhausting fevers and after drinking too much, I have experienced a defective kind of dream, a kind of analytical, verbal delirium, in which one word only leads to another word. In place of fluid and integrated imagery, there was just a kind of fizzly yellow, or swarming orange, activity. Mental satisfaction becomes impossible in that state. (Green and blue usually seem to be suppressed in that kind of state.) Since I believe mental imagery is the real, working structure of language, I think a related kind of damage to the dream system, or dream metabolism, would account for the peculiar nature of "schizophrenic" verbalization."

acrylic

@haidut - Can you point to the references/literature that shows verbal activity increases estrogen/serotonin? I've heard that from Peat a few times before, but have never been able to find the research.

dookie

Peat also wrote that the schizophrenics are so exhausted that they cannot develop cancer.

This is extremely interesting. I have found that to be true as well, with the people I know. People in the mental health wards just lack some of the "common" illnesses. In general it seems that some diseases just don't mix. You don't see schizophrenics with cancer, or even autoimmune conditions, very often.

I'm not sure what you mean by "exhausted" though, can you elaborate a bit?

Also can you post Peat's full on quote on this subject matter, I am very curious about it

Parsifal

This is extremely interesting. I have found that to be true as well, with the people I know. People in the mental health wards just lack some of the "common" illnesses. In general it seems that some diseases just don't mix. You don't see schizophrenics with cancer, or even autoimmune conditions, very often.

So that would be why caloric restriction works for longevity?

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter

I'm not sure what you mean by "exhausted" though, can you elaborate a bit?

Also can you post Peat's full on quote on this subject matter, I am very curious about it

It is from this article of his. I suggest reading the entire paragraph from which the quote comes and also the entire article.
http://orthomolecular.org/library/jom/1975/pdf/1975-v04n03-p189.pdf

"...(The resistance of schizophrenics to virus infections, allergies, and histamine, Carter and Watts, 1971, would suggest lower susceptibility to cancerization by viruses or irritation.) In the normal states, proteins would be "charged" only enough to function, bind water, etc., and then energy production would be limited. In a sense, the schizophrenic would be "too weak" even to produce cancer."

DaveFoster

@haidut

Do you think there are any potential harms in heavily blocking arginine absorption with lysine? Say 9 grams or so with protein?

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
@haidut

Do you think there are any potential harms in heavily blocking arginine absorption with lysine? Say 9 grams or so with protein?

I doubt we can completely block arginine absorption or conversion into NO so that it would cause problems. Also, heavy arginine restriction extends lifespan similar to methionine, cysteine, and tryptophan restriction so apparently the less we have of it the better.

ATP

Is it not true that gelatin contains a large amount of Arginine, which in turn produces more Nitric Oxide?
So potentially eating gelatin could be making things worse?

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
Is it not true that gelatin contains a large amount of Arginine, which in turn produces more Nitric Oxide?
So potentially eating gelatin could be making things worse?

In theory yes, but also gelatin has a lot of glycine and proline both of which inhibit the synthesis of NO from arginine.

skycop00

I am always pleased to see studies like this as they indicate that at least in some medical circles common sense has not left the building. If the study below is correct, it would explain the beneficial effects on schizophrenia of substances like glycine, famotidine, minocycline, pregnenolone, progesterone, DHEA, cyproheptadine, methylene blue etc. They all have in common the effect of lowering NO production or directly scavenging existing NO from the cell/blood.

Role of nitric oxide and related molecules in schizophrenia pathogenesis: biochemical, genetic and clinical aspects. - PubMed - NCBI

"...Here, we review the recent data and current concepts on the roles of nitric oxide (NO) and related molecules in the pathogenesis of schizophrenia. NO is involved in storage, uptake and release of mediators and neurotransmitters, including glutamate, acetylcholine, noradrenaline, GABA, taurine and glycine. In addition, NO diffuses across cell membranes and activates its own extrasynaptic receptors. Further, NO is involved in peroxidation and reactive oxidative stress. Investigations reveal significant disturbances in NO levels in the brain structures (cerebellum, hypothalamus, hippocampus, striatum) and fluids of subjects with schizophrenia. Given the roles of NO in central nervous system development, these changes may result in neurodevelopmental changes associated with schizophrenia. We describe here the recent literature on NOS gene polymorphisms on schizophrenia, which all point to consistent results. We also discuss how NO may be a new target for the therapy of mental disorders. Currently there have been 2 randomized double-blind placebo-controlled trials of L-lysine as an NOS inhibitor in the CNS."
I belong to a Forum over at excelmale.com. They have members from physicians to average folks like me. They spend a ton of time tryting to INCREASE NO for ecrections and health. I posted my concerns about NO and its dangers and the moderator replied with this ... Increase Your Nitric Oxide Naturally

snowboard111

I belong to a Forum over at excelmale.com. They have members from physicians to average folks like me. They spend a ton of time tryting to INCREASE NO for ecrections and health. I posted my concerns about NO and its dangers and the moderator replied with this ... Increase Your Nitric Oxide Naturally

Have you ask them why they talk about atherosclerosis. erectile dysfunction, libido, mental fog and fatigue like these we're "normal" things to expect so raising your NO level would be good thing??? It doesn't make sense

skycop00

Have you ask them why they talk about atherosclerosis. erectile dysfunction, libido, mental fog and fatigue like these we're "normal" things to expect so raising your NO level would be good thing??? It doesn't make sense
Yeah they are so focused on erections and that route to get them that that's all they focus on.

ddjd

NO is involved in storage, uptake and release of mediators and neurotransmitters, including glutamate, acetylcholine, noradrenaline, GABA, taurine and glycine.
so Nitric Oxide is essential for the transmission of GABA?

This study seems to suggest so
L-arginine potentiates GABA-mediated synaptic transmission by a nitric oxide-independent mechanism in rat dopamine neurons. - PubMed - NCBI

L-arginine potentiates GABA-mediated synaptic transmission by a nitric oxide-independent mechanism in rat dopamine neurons.
Shen KZ1, Cox BA, Johnson SW.
Author information

Abstract
Effects of L-arginine in the nervous system are often attributed to nitric oxide. Using whole-cell patch pipettes to record membrane currents in voltage-clamp from dopamine neurons in the rat midbrain slice, the present studies found that L-arginine potentiates GABA-dependent membrane currents via a nitric oxide-independent mechanism. L-Arginine (0.3-10 mM) increased the peak amplitude, half-width duration and time constant of decay of GABA(B) receptor-mediated inhibitory postsynaptic currents in a concentration-dependent manner. In the presence of CGP 35348 (300 microM), a GABA(B) receptor antagonist, L-arginine also prolonged the duration of inhibitory postsynaptic currents mediated by GABA(A) receptors, but their amplitudes were reduced. L-Arginine (10 mM) also evoked 17+/-3 pA of outward current (at -60 mV) which was significantly increased in the presence of exogenous GABA (100 microM). Pressure-ejection of GABA from micropipettes produced outward currents mediated by GABA(B) receptors (recorded in bicuculline) or GABA(A) receptors (recorded in CGP 35348); both types of receptor-mediated currents were increased by L-arginine (10 mM). In contrast, outward currents evoked by baclofen, a GABA(B) receptor agonist, were not potentiated by L-arginine. The GABA transport inhibitors NO 711 (1 microM) and nipecotic acid (1 mM) significantly increased the half-width duration and time-constant of decay of GABA(B)-mediated inhibitory postsynaptic currents, thus mimicking effects of L-arginine. However, nitric oxide donors failed to mimic effects of L-arginine on GABA(B) inhibitory postsynaptic currents, and inhibitors of nitric oxide synthesis failed to selectively block the action of L-arginine. These findings suggest that L-arginine potentiates GABA synaptic transmission by a nitric oxide-independent mechanism. Similarities between effects of L-arginine, NO 711 and nipecotic acid suggest that L-arginine inhibits a GABA transporter.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals