Help with numbness and pins-and-needles feeling

P

Peatness

For me, amitriptyline (very similar to cyproheptadine) reduces neuropathic pain
Amitriptyline is great for pain and sleep but I recall Dr Peat saying amitriptyline is linked to fibrosis. I don't recall the interview date

OP
ecstatichamster
still experiencing this, taking large amounts of B vitamins especially benfotiamine, I wrote to Dr. Peat.

youngsinatra

At first I also thought that my neuropathy-type symptoms were due to thiamin deficiency, but it did not resolve it, at best reduced it a bit.

I took 1500mg of EPA/DHA and it went away completely after 2 days. Continued on the dose for 2 weeks now and it still haven’t come back. Will cut back to 750mg maintenance dose.

Dr. Terry Wahls said that it really is important for myelation.

Skin also improved really really significantly.

revenant

I had numbness and tingling on my arms and hands for about a month. Not sure what the cause was but I was taking a P5P supplement during the time the issues started. I quit taking P5P and started taking thiamine instead and I haven't had any problems since.

I would quit the vitamin B supplements for a week and see what happens, or at least the P5P. There are some documented cases of neuropathy caused by excessive B6 supplementation, although the doses were higher than 10 mg.

OP
ecstatichamster
I am going to quit B vitamins completely for a bit, thank you. This was an experiment and it didn't go well. I've never taken huge quantities of B6 P5P, but who knows. This experiment didn't help at all.

OP
ecstatichamster
At first I also thought that my neuropathy-type symptoms were due to thiamin deficiency, but it did not resolve it, at best reduced it a bit.

I took 1500mg of EPA/DHA and it went away completely after 2 days. Continued on the dose for 2 weeks now and it still haven’t come back. Will cut back to 750mg maintenance dose.

Dr. Terry Wahls said that it really is important for myelation.

Skin also improved really really significantly.
that's interesting. Not sure I would try taking PUFA but who knows, maybe I will. It doesn't make sense to me.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin

youngsinatra

A gram or two of long-chain marine omega-3s probably won‘t hurt you, if you experiment with it for a week or so.

Maybe it will resolve the issue and this might change your mind on the stance of EFAs or maybe they don‘t do anything and you stop the experiment right there, take some vitamin E and aspirin and go back to low-PUFA.

Do you have any other signs of DHA deficiency?
• Numbness and tingling
• Weakness
• Pain
• Psychological disturbances
• Poor cognitive function and difficulty learning
• Poor visual acuity
• Blurred vision
• Poor immunity
• Poor growth
• Inflammation

Have you read Chris Masterjohn‘s in-depth article?
Precious Yet Perilous — Understanding the Essential Fatty Acids

Not trying to debate the issue, because I am way too incompetent in this matter.

OP
ecstatichamster
A gram or two of long-chain marine omega-3s probably won‘t hurt you, if you experiment with it for a week or so.

Maybe it will resolve the issue and this might change your mind on the stance of EFAs or maybe they don‘t do anything and you stop the experiment right there, take some vitamin E and aspirin and go back to low-PUFA.

• Numbness and tingling
• Weakness
• Pain
• Poor visual acuity
• Blurred vision
• Poor immunity
• Poor growth
• Inflammation

Not trying to debate the issue, because I am way too incompetent in this matter.
I don't.

I also realize that I had broken two toes on the left foot and maybe that's why it has numbness. I think my right foot isn't really numb, it's kind of psychological.

I'm going to use CO2 gas on the left foot and see how that does. I'll keep ya posted. I have a tank upstairs.

OP
ecstatichamster
Thiamine was a bust. Nothing good from it.

I am now trying alpha lipoic acid and acetyl l-carnitine as many people have said it works very well. Also taking CoE Q10 and PQQ.

I'm doing CO2 on the foot sometimes.

tankasnowgod

I had that Pins and Needles type numbness/neuropathy on the top of my left foot as a result of surgery (I suspect a cut nerve).

It improved in the month after surgery, reducing about 80-90%. I was loosely following Peat's ideas at the time. I think the thing that improved it even more (another 90% from there) was taking high dose biotin, in doses of 100-300mg, as per this thread-

If you can get pure biotin powder, it may be worth a shot. I noticed it over a few months, so it may take some time. There is another thread suggesting that thyroid itself may be the thing that helps nerves regenerate (and the high dose biotin basically stimulates higher levels of thyroid), but I didn't notice that from just supplementing thyroid (maybe I needed a higher dose). I also think higher doses of progesterone may have helped, as well.

OP
ecstatichamster
seems to be some improvement.

B12 2mg / day
magnesium 600mg X 2
niacinamide 500mg X 2
100mg biotin X 2 per day
thiamine 300mg benfotiamine
CoEnz Q10 + PQQ
Acetyl L-Carnitine 500mg X 2
Alpha Lipoic Acid 500mg X 2

It's been maybe 3 days and there is maybe 20% improvement already.

Last edited:

fr@

Thanks for the Supp Reference.

But isn't Acetyl L-Carnitine & Alpha Lipoic Acid
Anti-Peat, or can they be used in context?

From my personal experience, taking Carnitine affected my Thyroid.
I mean I've felt the gland itself (along w/ Hypothyroid Symptoms)
after a long while of supplemnting it.

I mainly used it to buffer out Lactic Acid and combo it w/ Baking Soda.

As w/ ALA, I'm was using it back then for my Liver;
to which it worked, it also improved my complextion.

But I think affects the Heart negatively, 'cause I've
experience some Heart Palpitations from using it.

[Probably because it also chelates minerals, like Copper.]

I've only started using it, after hearing it from Charles Poliquin
and I think that him taking ALA added up to his Heath Issue(s).

Lilac

About six years ago, after an ice storm, I was chopping ice off the walks for a couple of days. This injured my right hand, and I experienced numbness at night. Sometimes I would have to get up and soak my hand for 15 minutes to get a little feeling back. For years slight numbness and tingling could crop up when I was holding a book or a steering wheel. It seemed to be metabolism dependent--worse when I was feeling low, of course.

This summer I was still having minor problems and had decided I would be my own physical therapist. So I am doing hand and finger exercises throughout the day. Up to 100 reps. Within a week or two, I have been able to hold a book without going numb. My right hand even seems stronger than my left; I think I'm going to do the exercises with both hands going forward.

So my suggestion is to try A LOT of reps of different movements with your foot. Also stretches and massage.

sladerunner69

• Numbness and tingling
• Weakness
• Pain
• Poor visual acuity
• Blurred vision
• Poor immunity
• Poor growth
• Inflammation

What is poor growth? I have the rest of those symptoms, particularly visual acuity which is very bothersome. In fact I have been trying to resolve this for years now and it is driving me slightly mad. I have taken everything in the Peat arsenal, and then some, and nothing seems to resolve the numbness in the left side of my head, my poor concentration/blurred vision, etc. I may have to go against Peat for a few weeks and just try the fish oil and report back.

youngsinatra

What is poor growth? I have the rest of those symptoms, particularly visual acuity which is very bothersome. In fact I have been trying to resolve this for years now and it is driving me slightly mad. I have taken everything in the Peat arsenal, and then some, and nothing seems to resolve the numbness in the left side of my head, my poor concentration/blurred vision, etc. I may have to go against Peat for a few weeks and just try the fish oil and report back.
Poor growth is most likely an observed symptom in developing children or teenagers and is not that easily perceived in adults.

I‘d be amazed to hear your results. I have a very good experience with it.

OP
ecstatichamster
thank you for all your comments.

1. I stopped ALA and acetyl l-carnitine today. My teeth are hurting and don't know if that's the reason but I stopped. Thanks @fr@ for that input.

2. I am going to do a bunch of exercises all the time on this, great point @Lilac and thank you!

3. @gaze Dr. Peat responded to watch any connection with bowel health, temperatures, thyroid status.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals