Lightheadedness And Other Issues With Sugar And Fluids

bornord

Hello, I have been peating for a bout 3 months now. During this time I have gotten rid of much of my social anxiety which had been crippling me for many years. I attribute much of the improvement to peaty diet and that makes me want to continue with it.

However, I'm very stressed with it right now. I have gradually developed an issue with my digestion where if I eat something sugary with my meal or drink fluids with it, I get very lightheaded for a while. I think this is what they call "dumping syndrome". If I take sugar or something like orange juice as my sole snack it usually is fine but even the I have to be careful to not take too much. Otherwise my toes might get numb or I get huge problems with what I think is lactic acid with my limbs getting very heavy.

Another issue which I have gradually developed, and which I think is related to above problems, is that much of the time it feels like I'm in a boat or something and swaying a little bit. After eating it usually goes away for a short while but then returns.

I'm following my blood sugar but it seems to be normal. I have also taken many blood tests but all the
results have been in range. I have not really tested my liver yet though and I now suspect it might have something to do with my problems.

I wonder if anyone else has had similar issues and how did they deal with them?

somuch4food

I used to deal with motion sickness and afternoon nausea a lot. It still happens, but less often.

Adequate hydration and salt intake seem to help. I need more salt if I eat more sweet foods. Another important point for me is eating enough calories in the am.

If I remember correctly, Ray connects afternoon nausea with high serotonin in the gut.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Hello, I have been peating for a bout 3 months now. During this time I have gotten rid of much of my social anxiety which had been crippling me for many years. I attribute much of the improvement to peaty diet and that makes me want to continue with it.

However, I'm very stressed with it right now. I have gradually developed an issue with my digestion where if I eat something sugary with my meal or drink fluids with it, I get very lightheaded for a while. I think this is what they call "dumping syndrome". If I take sugar or something like orange juice as my sole snack it usually is fine but even the I have to be careful to not take too much. Otherwise my toes might get numb or I get huge problems with what I think is lactic acid with my limbs getting very heavy.

Another issue which I have gradually developed, and which I think is related to above problems, is that much of the time it feels like I'm in a boat or something and swaying a little bit. After eating it usually goes away for a short while but then returns.

I'm following my blood sugar but it seems to be normal. I have also taken many blood tests but all the
results have been in range. I have not really tested my liver yet though and I now suspect it might have something to do with my problems.

I wonder if anyone else has had similar issues and how did they deal with them?
Sounds like classic symptoms of Beriberi aka B1 deficiency. See thread below:
Solved? - IBS, SIBO, GERD, LPR, Colitis, Constipation, Celiac, Brain Fog

Dr. Lonsdale talks about all those symptoms at his blog. You will see the symptoms you mentioned all throughout his blog articles that are brought on by sugar when there is a deficiency of B1.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
B

bornord

Sounds like classic symptoms of Beriberi aka B1 deficiency. See thread below:
Solved? - IBS, SIBO, GERD, LPR, Colitis, Constipation, Celiac, Brain Fog

Dr. Lonsdale talks about all those symptoms at his blog. You will see the symptoms you mentioned all throughout his blog articles that are brought on by sugar when there is a deficiency of B1.

Thank you for the help. I really appreciate it. I'm now reading the blog you linked. I have yet to try allithiamine and it's derivates but I have tried thiamine hcl before. Small doses (~20mg/d) don't seem to help but my experiments with higher doses (~600mg/d) have been so short lived that I haven't been able to tell whether they helped or not. They do seem to make me constantly hypoglycemic though which I thought was a sign of not having problems with it's absorption.

I'm now taking 200mg 3 times a day and also restricting my carbs to small amount of starches only. I am once again very tired and with great amount of brain fog as always with the higher dose but I'm grateful to only have experienced mild lightheadedness. So I'll keep experimenting with it for now.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Thank you for the help. I really appreciate it. I'm now reading the blog you linked. I have yet to try allithiamine and it's derivates but I have tried thiamine hcl before. Small doses (~20mg/d) don't seem to help but my experiments with higher doses (~600mg/d) have been so short lived that I haven't been able to tell whether they helped or not. They do seem to make me constantly hypoglycemic though which I thought was a sign of not having problems with it's absorption.

I'm now taking 200mg 3 times a day and also restricting my carbs to small amount of starches only. I am once again very tired and with great amount of brain fog as always with the higher dose but I'm grateful to only have experienced mild lightheadedness. So I'll keep experimenting with it for now.
Magnesium is very important too.

Aggravation of thiamine deficiency by magnesium depletion. A case report. - PubMed - NCBI

Thiamine and magnesium deficiencies: keys to disease. - PubMed - NCBI

Last edited:

Hans

Forum Supporter
Yeah, I second Charlie. Keep in mind that a B1 deficiency can take a while to resolve so just stick to it.

tara

Might be good to have a btof a scan over diet to see if there are any glaring gaps, including B1 and Mg as above, but maybe others too.
If you haven't already, you could plug a couple of days typical diet into cronometer or similar and see if there are any obvious gaps in micros.

Personally, I can start to feel a bit sick if I eat too much sugar. I do better with a balance of starchy foods and sugars (and getting protein, minerals, etc).

OP
B

bornord

Might be good to have a btof a scan over diet to see if there are any glaring gaps, including B1 and Mg as above, but maybe others too.
If you haven't already, you could plug a couple of days typical diet into cronometer or similar and see if there are any obvious gaps in micros.

Personally, I can start to feel a bit sick if I eat too much sugar. I do better with a balance of starchy foods and sugars (and getting protein, minerals, etc).

Below is how my typical day used to look like. I'm happy for any comments.
crono1.png
crono2.png

tara

This is just speculation - your will need to figure out your own situation.
At a glance, it looks as though you are roughly covering basic nutrients according to those screenshots, if that is typical.

However, it could be that your system could use a bit extra of some things - could be worth some cautious experimenting to see if you benefit from some extra B-vits, eg:
- niacinamide (B3)and or thiamine (B1) maybe 30-50 mg 2-4 times a day (some people have much more, but I figure better to start small - overdoing it can cause issues for some too).

Personally, I would not feel particularly well on the diet you describe - partly because milk doesn't seem to agree with me, and partly because I start to feel off if I have too much sugar and not enough veges.

When I tried going gluten-free earlier in my life, I tried using cornmeal for polenta and such. It seemed to be OK in small quantities, but not too much. I'd be wanting to switch at least some of that rice and cornflour out for root veges.

But that's me - it might not be the same for you - some people seem to be fine with those foods.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals