Anhedonia, Social Anxiety, ADHD, Chronic Fatigue, And More

JCastro

Hi everyone,

I'm a 19 year old male who discovered Peat this summer. I have had weird symptoms since birth, such as high anxiety, constipation and IBS, and high functioning autistic symptoms. but became very ill after discontinuing the SSRI Zoloft and the amphetamine Adderall in 2010. My health has continued to decline.

This June, I found Phoenixrising.me's Methylation Protocols for chronic fatigue. A protocol on there advises taking megadoses of Methyl-B12 and Methyl-Folate, with other co-factors. My depression became a bit better but everything else got worse, but I continued because I was told it was a "healing reaction". One day I took 30 mgs of both Methyls, with several other things, and induced a suicidal panic agitation state that I believe was an extreme case of excitotoxicity.

The hospital put me on benzodiazepines which I used for the next month, and once I came off them all my symptoms came back WORSE. The benzos messed me up even more. Also, a psychiatrist put me on Wellbutrin and Buspirone, both of which I had adverse reactions to.

Current Symptoms:
Depersonalization/derealization
Social anxiety
Anhedonic Depression
Ejaculatory Anhedonia
Low Libido
Poor concentration/Brain fog
Poor memory
Sensitivity to light/noise/touch
Addictive personality
Low appetite
IBS
Celiac disease
Fatigue after eating
Dizzy/blind after standing
Dry/coarse hair
Dandruff/itchy scalp
Weak muscles and joints

I have implemented some of Peat's ideas into my regime. I have been at a caloric deficit every day for probably my whole life. I have skipped breakfast since I was little. Just started with Cronometer today but I have a hard time meeting the minimum because I get full very fast and have low-to-no appetite. Doing the carrot salad since yesterday. Eating some coconut oil. Restricting PUFAs. Definitely eating more than I was and will continue.

Currently I am working with a Functional Medicine doctor long-distance. He is trying to repair my leaky gut and dysbiosis using supplements and probiotics. He advised me not to take any drugs or supplements on my own for now since I am so sensitive to everything. Though reading this forum makes me want to start trying things like cyproheptadine, tianeptine, thyroid, etc. Lately I just sit at home every day doing nothing, because I have no motivation or energy or interest. Work and school are on hold until I feel better.

If this helps, my TSH was 0.29 uIU/ml on June 9 and was at 1.94 on June 12. The former says "Reflex" but latter does not. T4 was 0.89 ng/dl on the 9th.

Any advice appreciated. Thank you very much.

Last edited:

InChristAlone

I'm so sorry you are struggling. Yeah the methyl B's need to be used extremely cautiously especially for someone with high anxiety. Have you tried any Vitamin B3 ? Niacinamide is similar to benzo's for anxiety, but in my experience if you have low blood sugar you need to top up with a lot of sugar beforehand so you don't get an adrenaline rush. Hopefully others can chime in for overall recommendations. Cypro is very nice for calming down anxiety and getting appetite up, start very small as the fatigue can make you pretty non functional. Then maybe you can start adding in things like caffeine to help with mood. Do you get much sunshine? I find that really helps mood. Getting outside is very good.

OP
JCastro

JCastro

Thanks Janelle. I have tried niacin in the past, even in high doses, but not in the niacinimide form. I never noticed it helping my anxiety but may return to it in the future. I suspect that since I was so malnourished the niacin was not able to properly do its job.

I will probably buy cypro online soon.

Caffeine is one of the only things that motivated me to complete tasks and actually enjoy it.

I sit out in the sun almost every day and it used to help but lately the anhedonia overpowers it. I will still continue to do it anyway.

I hope that as I to build my body back up with ample amounts of nutrition, I will gradually heal. For years I wondered why the damage from the medications wasn't healing and I think it makes a lot of sense that my body couldn't heal because it didn't have the resources.

Tonight I noticed that my dizziness after standing is reduced for the first time in years.

DaveFoster

Hi everyone,

I'm a 19 year old male who discovered Peat this summer. I have had weird symptoms since birth, such as high anxiety, constipation and IBS, and high functioning autistic symptoms. but became very ill after discontinuing the SSRI Zoloft and the amphetamine Adderall in 2010. My health has continued to decline.

This June, I found Phoenixrising.me's Methylation Protocols for chronic fatigue. A protocol on there advises taking megadoses of Methyl-B12 and Methyl-Folate, with other co-factors. My depression became a bit better but everything else got worse, but I continued because I was told it was a "healing reaction". One day I took 30 mgs of both Methyls, with several other things, and induced a suicidal panic agitation state that I believe was an extreme case of excitotoxicity.

The hospital put me on benzodiazepines which I used for the next month, and once I came off them all my symptoms came back WORSE. The benzos messed me up even more. Also, a psychiatrist put me on Wellbutrin and Buspirone, both of which I had adverse reactions to.

Current Symptoms:
Depersonalization/derealization
Social anxiety
Anhedonic Depression
Ejaculatory Anhedonia
Low Libido
Poor concentration/Brain fog
Poor memory
Sensitivity to light/noise/touch
Addictive personality
Low appetite
IBS
Celiac disease
Fatigue after eating
Dizzy/blind after standing
Dry/coarse hair
Dandruff/itchy scalp
Weak muscles and joints

I have implemented some of Peat's ideas into my regime. I have been at a caloric deficit every day for probably my whole life. I have skipped breakfast since I was little. Just started with Cronometer today but I have a hard time meeting the minimum because I get full very fast and have low-to-no appetite. Doing the carrot salad since yesterday. Eating some coconut oil. Restricting PUFAs. Definitely eating more than I was and will continue.

Currently I am working with a Functional Medicine doctor long-distance. He is trying to repair my leaky gut and dysbiosis using supplements and probiotics. He advised me not to take any drugs or supplements on my own for now since I am so sensitive to everything. Though reading this forum makes me want to start trying things like cyproheptadine, tianeptine, thyroid, etc. Lately I just sit at home every day doing nothing, because I have no motivation or energy or interest. Work and school are on hold until I feel better.

If this helps, my TSH was 0.29 uIU/ml on June 9 and was at 1.94 on June 12. The former says "Reflex" but latter does not. T4 was 0.89 ng/dl on the 9th.

Any advice appreciated. Thank you very much.
I'm also 19 and have all your symptoms. Don't worry, you're not alone in this struggle. I think there's some kind of gut dysbiosis that's going on (at least in my case), stress from childhood, and other things are creating a state of constant immunoreactivity, probably mediated by estrogen, serotonin, and endorphins. It's hard, but keep pushing through.

Agent207

Resistance training and midday sun are some of the best natural habits for supporting rock-solid mood. But exercise requires you to be in a good metabolic/energetic state, otherwise stress could sum up. If proper diet is checked (ensuring proper Zn, Mg and b6 levels), I suggest to do a hormonal blood work. T, DHT, E1, E2, prolactin, progesterone, cortisol, DHEA, homocysteine.

As for drug aids that comes to my mind, you could have a look at LDN and low dose rasagiline, separately to see how each acts on you. Much safer stuff than benzos and SSRIs.

Beyond that, you could research a bit on a russian compound called Pirlindole.

Last edited:
OP
JCastro

JCastro

I'm also 19 and have all your symptoms. Don't worry, you're not alone in this struggle. I think there's some kind of gut dysbiosis that's going on (at least in my case), stress from childhood, and other things are creating a state of constant immunoreactivity, probably mediated by estrogen, serotonin, and endorphins. It's hard, but keep pushing through.
Yes, we are a very rare case. Gut dysbiosis is most likely at play here. I also endured stress in childhood; severe stress and trauma. I did try a few months at the GAPS diet in 2013 and while it did cool down some inflammation, I saw no healing. Thankfully I found this forum when I did.

A lot of these symptoms are related to schizoid and schizotypal personality disorders.

Resistance training and midday sun are some of the best natural habits for supporting rock-solid mood. But exercise requires you to be in a good metabolic/energetic state, otherwise stress could sum up. If proper diet is checked (ensuring proper Zn, Mg and b6 levels), I suggest to do a hormonal blood work. T, DHT, E1, E2, prolactin, progesterone, cortisol, DHEA, homocysteine.

As for drug aids that comes to my mind, you could have a look at LDN and low dose rasagiline, separately to see how each acts on you. Much safer stuff than benzos and SSRIs.

Beyond that, you could research a bit on a russian compound called Pirlindole.
I'm scheduled to see an apparently very experienced "Functional" MD soon who specializes in hormones. I got a blood test for this and here are some notable results.

Prolactin 20.7, High Range: ng/mL 4.0 - 15.2 0
A/G Ratio 2.8, High, Range: 1.1 - 2.5
Alkaline Phosphatase, S 143, High, Range: IU/L 39 - 117
TSH 1.140, Normal, Range: uIU/mL 0.450 - 4.500 01
Testosterone,Free and Total Testosterone, Serum 591 ng/dL
Dihydrotestosterone 43 ng/dL, Reference Range: Adult Male: 30 - 85
Estradiol 11.3, Range: pg/mL 7.6 - 42.6

There is a lot of other stuff but it's all in range. It did not test for the other things you listed. The doctor says he wants to do more testing so I will inquire about them.

I own some LDN but am holding out for now as I try other things.

Things that seem to be helping lately are aspirin, L-Lysine, Ondansetron, coffee, edible cannabis, and pregnenolone. However, all have inconsistent results.

Next week I will be seeing an orthomolecular psychiatrist soon as well.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals