Have Barely Slept The Past 3 Nights

TheHound

I got ill over the weekend. intense sore throat, stuffed nose, and all this has prevented me from sleeping. I've gotten legit maybe a few hours of sleep since Saturday night and can barely eat because my throat hurts too much to swallow anything. is it time to see a doctor? I'm getting anxiety over this lack of sleep now

Nicole W.

I got ill over the weekend. intense sore throat, stuffed nose, and all this has prevented me from sleeping. I've gotten legit maybe a few hours of sleep since Saturday night and can barely eat because my throat hurts too much to swallow anything. is it time to see a doctor? I'm getting anxiety over this lack of sleep now
Could it be strep? Best to get a swab test, and get treatment if it is strep.

X3CyO

Gelatin. Dissolved in hot water, and with broth and/or salt. Whack around 100 grams (Of gelatin). Maybe more. Its great for throat pain and digestive pain. Gets rid of endotoxin, and is gentle compared to activated charcoal.

Stilgar

I’d just lay off any potentially irritating foods, probably make potato juice and live off that or fish and rice and coconut oil (something very simple that you like) and take erythromycin or penicillin (or one a doctor prescribes) until the symptoms are gone.

Dolomite

Forum Supporter
I live in the Midwest US and a month ago I had the worst sore throat I have ever had. It wasn't Strep throat. I had a fever and one ear was involved. I did get some antibiotics and that helped but not entirely. It took three weeks before I was over it.

Like you, I couldn't swallow due to the pain.

The interesting thing is that three of my coworkers had the same symptoms. One person received doxycycline and that cleared it up faster than the other types of antibiotics.

theLaw

The doc will just give you antibiotics, and if it doesn't cost you anything, why not?

OP
TheHound

TheHound

I live in the Midwest US and a month ago I had the worst sore throat I have ever had. It wasn't Strep throat. I had a fever and one ear was involved. I did get some antibiotics and that helped but not entirely. It took three weeks before I was over it.

Like you, I couldn't swallow due to the pain.

The interesting thing is that three of my coworkers had the same symptoms. One person received doxycycline and that cleared it up faster than the other types of antibiotics.

which antibiotics did you take? I went to the clinic and they gave me amoxicillin

OP
TheHound

TheHound

I’d just lay off any potentially irritating foods, probably make potato juice and live off that or fish and rice and coconut oil (something very simple that you like) and take erythromycin or penicillin (or one a doctor prescribes) until the symptoms are gone.

I wish I could eat but it hurts so much to swallow anything (including liquid) that I physically recoil from the pain

Dolomite

Forum Supporter
I took Zithromax first and the symptoms came back before I took the last dose. I waited a day and then was given amoxicillin clavulate which did not entirely solve the problem. I still had some swallowing problems and a cough.

If the amoxicillin does not help ask for doxycycline, if possible.

I had to make the effort to eat and swallow,too. But liquids help.

OP
TheHound

TheHound

was prescribed amoxicillin 500mg 3x a day. is this safe?

Peater

I don't understand the posts recommending antibiotics as colds, influenza, mono, etc are viral

JKX

Sore throats are the worst. I find holding a spoonful of coconut oil in your mouth for 5-10mins then swallowing helps sooth. Gargling with aspirin in water also good. Might be time to see the doc if it doesn't improve in a day or so?

SOMO

was prescribed amoxicillin 500mg 3x a day. is this safe?

I think before you take something for SYSTEMIC infections, try a local antibiotic - try gargling with plain salt and/or menthol or listerine.
You could even make an herbal extract using vodka and common household herbs (oregano, thyme, etc.) Combine the alcohol and herbs in a blender and mix, then filter and strain the liquid. Gargle with that. You can leave it in a wide plate or bowl to evaporate off the excess alcohol.

Since you have sinus issues, try a Neti pot. You can get them at most pharmacies or make your own using a dropper and some mildly saturated salt water.

Hot epsom salt baths also help (my grocery store sells epsom salts with lavender or eucalyptus, the eucalyptus one is good for clearing sinuses.)

Amoxicillin is relatively safe, but many people simply don't react well to antibiotics.

OP
TheHound

TheHound

I think before you take something for SYSTEMIC infections, try a local antibiotic - try gargling with plain salt and/or menthol or listerine.
You could even make an herbal extract using vodka and common household herbs (oregano, thyme, etc.) Combine the alcohol and herbs in a blender and mix, then filter and strain the liquid. Gargle with that. You can leave it in a wide plate or bowl to evaporate off the excess alcohol.

Since you have sinus issues, try a Neti pot. You can get them at most pharmacies or make your own using a dropper and some mildly saturated salt water.

Hot epsom salt baths also help (my grocery store sells epsom salts with lavender or eucalyptus, the eucalyptus one is good for clearing sinuses.)

Amoxicillin is relatively safe, but many people simply don't react well to antibiotics.

Thanks. Salt water gargling does absolutely nothing for me, I've been doing it for a while and with previous throat infections. However something weird has happened. It's been roughly 24 hours since I started taking amoxicillin. I've taken 4, 500mg pills so far. Literally almost right at the 24 hour mark I started feeling almost high, like my surroundings were very surreal feeling. My throat and neck pain was almost instantly reduced by 90% at this point too. Weird as hell

tara

I think if I had an intolerably sore throat for 3 days and it was preventing me sleeping, I'd be off to the doc.

But before that I'd probably try gargling a little zinc, drinking warm lemon and honey, supplementing some extra vit-C, maybe eating some garlicky carrot salad if I could get it down.
Drinking whatever nourishing thing appeals, and/or water. Fresh fruit if poss - esp vit C rich like oranges, kiwifruit, blackcurrants, ...
Keep the digestive tract moving.
Keep warm.
Chin strap or tape to help close the mouth at night has helped a lot with recovering in the last few years since I learned to do it. Hard to get started when the nose is clogged, but worth it.

If you happen to have methylene blue at hand, you might want to read up on the forum thread and see if that seems relevant for you.

SOMO

Thanks. Salt water gargling does absolutely nothing for me, I've been doing it for a while and with previous throat infections. However something weird has happened. It's been roughly 24 hours since I started taking amoxicillin. I've taken 4, 500mg pills so far. Literally almost right at the 24 hour mark I started feeling almost high, like my surroundings were very surreal feeling. My throat and neck pain was almost instantly reduced by 90% at this point too. Weird as hell

Yeah, a lot of antibiotics feel psychedelic - I think the mass-killing of bacteria releases endotoxin and other cell debris that your body then has to clear. Serotonin can cause diarrhea and some antibiotics induce diarrhea, likely by temporarily increasing serotonin.
I got a similar effect with both Doxycycline and Azythromycin, sort of a spaced out, floaty underwater feeling, but still able to function.

In either case, it's good that your infection issues are clearing up. Some people recommend yogurt after a round of antibiotics to keep things like C. Difficile and Candida in check, as those tend to overgrow after antibiotic treatment.

OP
TheHound

TheHound

Yeah, a lot of antibiotics feel psychedelic - I think the mass-killing of bacteria releases endotoxin and other cell debris that your body then has to clear. Serotonin can cause diarrhea and some antibiotics induce diarrhea, likely by temporarily increasing serotonin.
I got a similar effect with both Doxycycline and Azythromycin, sort of a spaced out, floaty underwater feeling, but still able to function.

In either case, it's good that your infection issues are clearing up. Some people recommend yogurt after a round of antibiotics to keep things like C. Difficile and Candida in check, as those tend to overgrow after antibiotic treatment.

do you think it's good to take cyproheptadine while on antibiotics to control serotonin then?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals