Glycine To Help Get Through Troubling Anxiety/Insomnia Period ?

DMF

'Going through bad period, need help. No sleep, repetitive troubling thoughts feeding off themselves as the night hours go by.
Tried glycine before but it seemed to increase, not decrease wakefullness, worry. Less than 500mg's before bed.
Eggshell calcium was great for awhile then "wore off".
Body exhausted but brain on fire....

DonLore

Who do people supplement glycine, when it would be much easier and better to just take 10-30g gelatin (even better if its from a heavily salted broth)

frannybananny

'Going through bad period, need help. No sleep, repetitive troubling thoughts feeding off themselves as the night hours go by.
Tried glycine before but it seemed to increase, not decrease wakefullness, worry. Less than 500mg's before bed.
From this insomniac I will tell you a few things that I take late at night in order to sleep...Olive Leaf Extract in capsules, lowers blood pressure and induces relaxation, magnesium taureate - I break open the capsule and only take half...the taurine will make you quite sleepy.... milk thistle-makes me quite tired and helps to sleep through the night. If none of this helps you might try some CBD/THC oil or make some "special brownies" or try the gummies that are widely available right now for sleep.

VitoScaletta

Glycine and Magnesium foods would be good

Magnesium foods: Buckwheat, ripe fruits and fruit juice (they dont have much but it adds up), dark chocolate (ideally get one which is 70%-90% and with only cane sugar, choco butter and choco beans), dates, dark green leafy vegetables (Swiss Chard, Kale) boiled for 20 minutes and eaten with some coconut oil (for absorption of the Vit K.).
Also the water you boil the vegetables is good aswell, it will concentrate Magnesium and Calcium (in theory). Get a pound of them and boil them for 30-40 minutes, midway add a tiny bit of Sodium BiCarbonate to negate some of the Oxalic Acid. You can just throw out the actual plants if you'd like and just drink the water, or eat them. Be sure to wash the leaves well before boiling them.

I would definitely recommend Oxtail soup boiled for 8 hours (Do you have a good recipe down/tried Oxtail before? For cooking times first 1h or 45 minutes on high, remove the "scum" off the top, and then add the vegetables/flavour and put on low for the rest of the cooking time or throughout the night. 8 total hours cooks all the Collagen completely on the oxtail and doesn't denature the protein too much), eaten with some Buckwheat and salt; and some OJ on the side.

I think you should focus on Magnesium and not on Calcium.

Also, get some early morning (6;45-8:00 AM) barechested sunlight. helps me a ton with both insomnia and that type of anxiety, it calms me down

Last edited:
Z

Zsazsa

Excess glycine could be causing an increased need of cysteine (NAC) ou even glutamine (for GABA) in the formation of gluthatione

Nilogic

I use 5-HTP (5-hydroxytryptophane) supplementations 1hour before sleep for mild depression/anxiety/insomnia symptoms and addition of melatonin during 5-7 days.
It helps me to 'get back on the rails'.
Pure glycine supplementation gave me weird vivid dreams (mostly nightmares) which didn't help me to feel better on a long term. Like someone wrote above, Collagen/Gelatin supplementation is better to get the full spectrum amino's imo.

DonLore

I use 5-HTP (5-hydroxytryptophane) supplementations 1hour before sleep for mild depression/anxiety/insomnia symptoms and addition of melatonin during 5-7 days.
It helps me to 'get back on the rails'.
Pure glycine supplementation gave me weird vivid dreams (mostly nightmares) which didn't help me to feel better on a long term. Like someone wrote above, Collagen/Gelatin supplementation is better to get the full spectrum amino's imo.
You do realise that 5-htp turns into serotonin, which is considered to be the worst thing you can possibly have, by this forum and Dr Peat?

Nilogic

You do realise that 5-htp turns into serotonin, which is considered to be the worst thing you can possibly have, by this forum and Dr Peat?
I'm just sharing what helps me on short term in such situation, my apologies.

BMW1

I have taken 10 to 20 grams of glycine powder almost every day for years now and I went through a period of severe insomnia and obtrusive thoughts from last September through early January. I think there was a strong spiritual component to it largely due to family strife, so I credit my wife and also the Lord (I'm a Messianic Jew) with helping me through this very difficult time. I also researched and got a prescription for Clomipramine from a doctor since most of my struggles in the past have been with obsessive thoughts often termed sensorimotor OCD. It seemed to have some positive effect since I started sleeping well again a few days after increasing to 50 mg. May be worth a try for those with obsessive thoughts that lead to insomnia

OP
D

DMF

Gelatin/bone broth used to help with a deep sleep - but that was when I'm O.K. My innards/digestive tract is in hock during these bad periods - food is poorly processed, passes right through me. Anyone tried red tart cherry juice? It has high amounts of naturally occuring melatonin

DonLore

N
I'm just sharing what helps me on short term in such situation, my apologies.
No need to apologise. Just giving a head up that it can do a lot of harm, I tried it years ago and got panic attacks/derealization eventually

Nilogic

N

No need to apologise. Just giving a head up that it can do a lot of harm, I tried it years ago and got panic attacks/derealization eventually
I think that when used on short term (5days to 2 weeks) 5HTP can be useful, but again it's all related to personal physiology.

Does anyone know what opinion Ray has on melatonine supplementation (on short term use) in order to correct sleep behaviour?

DonLore

I think that when used on short term (5days to 2 weeks) 5HTP can be useful, but again it's all related to personal physiology.

Does anyone know what opinion Ray has on melatonine supplementation (on short term use) in order to correct sleep behaviour?
Ray generally seems to dislike melatonin. I also have found it to be harmful and uneffective. But some people say they benefit

Kavie

If you really need a good sleep take some valium or clonazepam before bed, it works. Then you will be able to try some of these holistic methods which in my experience have limited success. The important thing is to get sleep now otherwise your mental health will get worse and require more serious interventions. :):

redsun

Do you have high resting heart rate? Do you feel your pulse when laying in bed awake at night?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals