Fun, Easy Way To Quickly And Drastically Increase CO2

Fractality

You guys are funny! I drink ACV/BS. ACV is an acidic acid and mixed with baking soda creates an acetate which can be used as acetyl- CoA in the mitochondria. This will end up creating more ATP and more carbon dioxide. I now drink ACV/potassium bicarbonate to keep membrane potential high. Clear breathing will be your indication of good carbon dioxide production. 2 tablespoons of ACV and 1/4 teaspoon in 8 ounces of water per serving...

I'm going to try this tonight, thanks.

OP
L

lampofred

I doubt it was pure CO2. Breathing pure CO2 is quite hazardous. If you had, I think you might have passed out.
But I expect that breathing air with a higher than usual proportion of CO2 (eg up to 5% ish) might sometimes be helpful.

Probably not 100% CO2 but I would guess a pretty large percentage of it was CO2 (at least much larger than the % of CO2 in the atmosphere) because on my first inhale, I took a larger than normal breath and got extremely dizzy and lost my balance, so I definitely had a lack of oxygen. After that first one, I took very shallow inhales.

tara

Probably not 100% CO2 but I would guess a pretty large percentage of it was CO2 (at least much larger than the % of CO2 in the atmosphere) because on my first inhale, I took a larger than normal breath and got extremely dizzy and lost my balance, so I definitely had a lack of oxygen. After that first one, I took very shallow inhales.
Got you. :)
Sure it could be much more than atmospheric CO2, which is a pretty small proportion (~400 ppm).
At just one or two breaths, it was probably not lack of oxygen in the air, but the CO2 itself causing trouble.
On that basis, you can probably get some benefit in a smaller more portable bottle - eg by using Obi wan's quantities. And breathe it sitting down. :)

ddjd

Didn't someone from the Facebook ray peat inspired group die from too much co2 inhalation?

I'm not saying this will happen with the bottle technique

Obi-wan

When I make the ACV/ baking or potassium drink it fizzes up. Many times I have inhaled the CO2 without a problem. The fizz only lasts a few seconds

tara

Didn't someone from the Facebook ray peat inspired group die from too much co2 inhalation?
Really?
I've been advising caution for years here - to make sure you've got a way to stop easily before you get overwhelmed - because I know excess CO2 can be dangerous.
And especially if there are health conditions related to lung function.

From wikipedia:
"CO2 is an asphyxiant gas and not classified as toxic or harmful in accordance with Globally Harmonized System of Classification and Labelling of Chemicals standards of United Nations Economic Commission for Europe by using the OECD Guidelines for the Testing of Chemicals. In concentrations up to 1% (10,000 ppm), it will make some people feel drowsy and give the lungs a stuffy feeling.[114] Concentrations of 7% to 10% (70,000 to 100,000 ppm) may cause suffocation, even in the presence of sufficient oxygen, manifesting as dizziness, headache, visual and hearing dysfunction, and unconsciousness within a few minutes to an hour.[116] The physiological effects of acute carbon dioxide exposure are grouped together under the term hypercapnia, a subset of asphyxiation."

But the only actual story I'd heard here so far was the one about people passing out over fermentation vats and falling in.

(I do think it should be possible to fizz a little up in a bottle from vinegar and baking soda in a way that avoids significant risk for most people. )

Aspekt

Really?
I've been advising caution for years here - to make sure you've got a way to stop easily before you get overwhelmed - because I know excess CO2 can be dangerous.
And especially if there are health conditions related to lung function.

From wikipedia:
"CO2 is an asphyxiant gas and not classified as toxic or harmful in accordance with Globally Harmonized System of Classification and Labelling of Chemicals standards of United Nations Economic Commission for Europe by using the OECD Guidelines for the Testing of Chemicals. In concentrations up to 1% (10,000 ppm), it will make some people feel drowsy and give the lungs a stuffy feeling.[114] Concentrations of 7% to 10% (70,000 to 100,000 ppm) may cause suffocation, even in the presence of sufficient oxygen, manifesting as dizziness, headache, visual and hearing dysfunction, and unconsciousness within a few minutes to an hour.[116] The physiological effects of acute carbon dioxide exposure are grouped together under the term hypercapnia, a subset of asphyxiation."

But the only actual story I'd heard here so far was the one about people passing out over fermentation vats and falling in.

(I do think it should be possible to fizz a little up in a bottle from vinegar and baking soda in a way that avoids significant risk for most people. )

I recall hearing about this on one of the facebook groups, and if I remember correctly, the person was sleeping with a CO2 respirator mask strapped onto their face and presumably asphyxiated. There's a reason people say if you're going to use those masks, you just use them intermittently and never with a strap, as that prevents the mask from falling off, which it will if you pass out while just holding it up to your mouth. Pretty tragic and stupid.

I only had a little vinegar so I haven't tested this properly yet, but it definitely had some clarifying effects. It made me imagine of some sort of strange utopian future where it's commonplace to get a little espresso glass of CO2 at a cafe, I just had this amusing image in my head of people impatiently shotting an 'empty' glass on their way to work.

tara

I recall hearing about this on one of the facebook groups, and if I remember correctly, the person was sleeping with a CO2 respirator mask strapped onto their face. There's a reason people say if you're going to use those masks, you just use them intermittently and never with a strap, as that prevents the mask from falling off, which it will if you pass out while just holding it up to your mouth. Pretty tragic and stupid.
Oh dear.
Yes, both tragic and foolish.

This sounds a bit like the setup VoS said he used, and promoted as safe, and tried to convince people that Peat endorsed.

Absolutely necessary to have a setup that cuts off the supplemental CO2 if one becomes unconscious. Or at least to have a very reliable minder monitoring who will notice if something's amiss and know to do something about it. Preferably one would be awake enough while using it to know to stop before it goes too far.

Amazoniac

videoblocks-perfect-beer-froth-head-of-beer-with-perfect-foam-beer-foam-reducing_ssvz5sdef_thumbnail-small01.jpg

CoolTweetPete

I now do this all of the time and very much enjoy the effects.

I have a little station in my room with a large stainless steel water bottle, a big bag of baking soda, and a jug of vinegar.

I've noticed it warms be up very quickly after a couple of repetitions. I just cover the lid with my hand to keep the gas from escaping. Once I feel some pressure built up, I take a deep nostril breath from the bottle, controlled-pause, then take a normal breath. I noticed an added effect if I take a drop of methylene blue beforehand.

Inaut

I now do this all of the time and very much enjoy the effects.

I have a little station in my room with a large stainless steel water bottle, a big bag of baking soda, and a jug of vinegar.

I've noticed it warms be up very quickly after a couple of repetitions. I just cover the lid with my hand to keep the gas from escaping. Once I feel some pressure built up, I take a deep nostril breath from the bottle, controlled-pause, then take a normal breath. I noticed an added effect if I take a drop of methylene blue beforehand.

Tried something like this but instead of using my nose, I inhaled through my mouth like a drag from a bong. I used an old bottle of gerolsteiner. If you create a good enough seal with your mouth, you can inhale the co2 like a steady draw. Pretty sweet tbh. Tastes just like the co2 from my tank and felt good on my lungs....

This is actually a very interesting thread for an effective co2 hack :)

Inaut

so i can confirm large amounts of co2 while "bottle toking" the mixture. Felt extremely light headed for about 10 seconds. Did it twice and was quite relaxed afterwards.

Inaut

co2 migraine inhaler...might buy one and test it out with home made carbonated water. cost is around $90 bucks on amazon

• 71rG7oFvjkL._SX679_.jpg

About the product
  • Uses Only Carbon Dioxide inhaled into the Sinuses to create a mild burning sensation for about 1/3 second, Triggering the Vagus and Trigeminal Nerves
  • No Side Effects. See www.BreatheEasyMigraineFix.com for Full Information. PATENT PENDING - We are the Only Seller
  • Backed by Published Scientific Journal Research, Early FDA Trials and the Reports of Our Customers
  • Well over 200 customers helped get relief from chronic migraines so far (1 in 20 review). Early FDA trials showed Nasal Inhaled CO2 is Effective on 60-65% of Frequent Migraine Sufferers (Twice the Most effective drugs)
  • One-Time Purchase May Relieve you from Migraines Indefinitely! No more Botox, Drugs with massive Side effects and Cost, No surgery

BreatheEasy

jitsmonkey

this device is a terrific example of how to SAFELY AND EFFECTIVELY use a CO2 tank.
(and the OP is as well. here are some ideas if you want an alternative that might be easier to execute. Not better just easier)
NOT strapped to your face
NOT breathing continuously
simply small doses
CO2 is not dangerous
Stupid people are dangerous.
That may be a bit harsh but if you strap a CO2 tank to your face and expect to live to
see another day you're not that smart.

I have a CO2 tank that I use often
and for the most part I use it very similarly as to this device.
I might inhale at times marginally longer
but close.
1 time breathing too much CO2 tells you immediately when you've gone past stupid
and if you're not innately stupid you'll not make the mistake again.
Dizzy, discomfort, lil loopy... nowhere remotely close to death.
Discretion will save your life in most scenarios. CO2 is no different.

and the best part is making my own fizzy water ;-)
Its not magical, its not the solution to everything
its helpful if energy is low, its helpful if you have a headache,
VERY helpful for wound healing.
I can think of many things I'd put far ahead of this as helpful
but its a useful tool in a non-reckless persons hands.

thanks for posting this @Inaut I know a few people who could make use of this device

co2 migraine inhaler...might buy one and test it out with home made carbonated water. cost is around $90 bucks on amazon

About the product
  • Uses Only Carbon Dioxide inhaled into the Sinuses to create a mild burning sensation for about 1/3 second, Triggering the Vagus and Trigeminal Nerves
  • No Side Effects. See www.BreatheEasyMigraineFix.com for Full Information. PATENT PENDING - We are the Only Seller
  • Backed by Published Scientific Journal Research, Early FDA Trials and the Reports of Our Customers
  • Well over 200 customers helped get relief from chronic migraines so far (1 in 20 review). Early FDA trials showed Nasal Inhaled CO2 is Effective on 60-65% of Frequent Migraine Sufferers (Twice the Most effective drugs)
  • One-Time Purchase May Relieve you from Migraines Indefinitely! No more Botox, Drugs with massive Side effects and Cost, No surgery

BreatheEasy

Last edited:

pepsi

How long does your clarity last for after breathing in the CO2?

jitsmonkey

I find it is most helpful when I'm just not feeling well and I don't have a reasonable explanation for why
mentally dull, physically tired/lethargic. A few huffs over 10 or 15 minutes (sometimes a second round an hour later)
and the dullness/lethargy is gone for the rest of the day.
It reminds me in some ways of how power lifters use smelling salts before a big lift.
It appears to provide a certain stimulus that turns things around.
I don't think that CO2 concentrations are necessarily increasing significantly beyond the actual inhalation period
but I can't prove or disprove that.
I'm not even suggesting you or anyone else do it this way, its just how I've gotten benefit safely

OP
L

lampofred

About the product

BreatheEasy

Dang I wish you had posted this a few days ago... I just ordered an altitude training mask 2 days ago to increase my CO2 levels, but I would have gotten this instead if I had seen it earlier (but I do think mild hypoxia has benefits that just increasing CO2 doesn't have).

In case anyone is interested, will update thread on whether I think the altitude mask is doing anything beneficial after I try out sleeping with it on for a few days.

OP
L

lampofred

I stopped doing this because the benefits were so short lived for me. Only for about 5 minutes. But that might be because I live at sea level and because I naturally hyperventilate quite a bit. The benefits might last longer for others.

tara

Interesting.

"Well, it's concentrated carbon dioxide that causes a mild burning sensation for about 1/3 of a second - like what you get occasionally drinking a carbonated beverage. It, naturally, requires far more carbon dioxide than you have in your breath (which is <10%). That triggers the nerves just as well as electrodes or accupuncture, but then fades without side effects. Nothing goes in your nose except carbon dioxide - which you already have in much lower concentrations in your nose right now. After having triggered those nerves, it causes what researcher Doctor Spiering called a "Pain cascade" which is a parasympathetic (unconscious) nervous system reaction that many studies and early FDA trials - listed below - have shown is capable of eliminating or highly reducing migraines in many patients."
""While the gas is flowing, carbon dioxide readily permeates the nasal mucous membranes creating carbonic acid and decreasing the pH of the nociceptive nerve fibers, Dr. Spierings said. The acidosis created is potent enough to prevent stimulation of neurons and activation of the pain cascade. A bystander effect that follows prevents activation throughout the trigeminal nerve system."
Quoted from Dr. Spiering related to the above studies"
www.BreatheEasyMigraineFix.com

Edited to add:
I'm not quite sure whether they are saying they hypothesise that it works by stimulating the vagus and trigeminal nerves, or by preventing stimulation?

Last edited:

jitsmonkey

Dang I wish you had posted this a few days ago... I just ordered an altitude training mask 2 days ago to increase my CO2 levels, but I would have gotten this instead if I had seen it earlier (but I do think mild hypoxia has benefits that just increasing CO2 doesn't have).

In case anyone is interested, will update thread on whether I think the altitude mask is doing anything beneficial after I try out sleeping with it on for a few days.

I have a training mask which is what I assume you're calling an altitude mask
that works nicely when I am stressed and anxious.
I imagine the mechanism of action is similar to that of bag breathing only with a smaller container, more convenient and usable for longer periods.

there are a few threads on here where a doc (I forget his specialty I think anesthesiologist) discussed how he found it impossible to
improve co2 tolerance long term with these sorts of methods.

Last edited:
EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals