Monitoring PH And Baking Soda Therapy

Mark2020

Hey Guys,

With this whole corona thing going on, I kept stumbling upon a lot of info on the benefits of baking soda therapy.

I’ve taken baking soda before, as I know Ray is a fan of it for increasing CO2. I’ve put it in my orange juice to reduce acidity, mostly. Occasionally taken it in plain water as well.

I also came across the concept of consistently testing your urine and salivary pH. I bought the pH strips, and I have to say, the relation between your pH and how you feel is dead-on accurate almost flawlessly.

I found when I don’t feel that great, both my urine and salivary pH always measured 6.5 or below. When I felt great, it always mesured 7.0 to 7.5. Every time, without fail. I found this fascinating.

I began to experiment testing my pH after certain foods, drink, baking soda, etc.

One of the things that I learned very quickly, is that coffee is a MAJOR no-no for me. It drops my pH substantially, and quickly, every time. No matter how I take the coffee. Black, espresso, cold brew, a little milk, lots of milk, no sugar, lots of sugar. Same result every time. Coffee destroys my pH levels, and makes me feel unwell.

On the flip side, baking soda. Wow. That’s all I have to say. Baking soda might be the #1 thing I’ve ever added to my regimen. And the results it’s given me on the pH scale solidifies it for me. It increases pH quickly, and makes me feel oxygenated, calm, and well.

In Dr. Mark Sircus’ book, he recommends 1/2 tsp in 4 oz of water up to 7 times a day, as needed, to raise pH, and keep it between 7.0 and 7.5 (And up to 8.0 if you have cancer). As you pH normalizes, you’ll need less dosages of baking soda to stay balanced and slightly alkaline.

I found this little experimentation fascinating. Oh, and starches? Terribly acidifying. Ray is right on the money when he speaks of avoiding starches. The proof is in the pudding. They quickly throw my body out of balance, just as bad, if not worse than coffee.

I know it’s contrary to Ray’s work, but I’ve realized more and more than coffee is not a health food. It’s an anti-health food poison, that has a lot of people duped into thinking it’s healthy. The coffee industry has thrown A LOT of money at creating biased studies in favor of coffee. I’m 100% with Nikola Tesla on his views of coffee. And oddly, Tesla’s diet is VERY similar to Ray’s recommendations. Two geniuses that think very alike when it comes to food and the body. But, they differ greatly on coffee. From my experiences with it, and many others on that forum, I’m convinced coffee is at BEST neutral for some, and harmful for most.

Baking soda and pH monitoring has changed my life. Give it a try!

I've tried baking soda many times over the years and, until recently, found it only mildly beneficial. A few weeks ago, I experimented with 1/2 tsp doses (more than usual) and found it very helpful for easing breathing, promoting relaxation, and lowering an elevated pulse (when the high pulse is due to adrenaline). I suspect baking soda lowers my blood pressure a bit as well. Sometimes repeated doses of 1/3-1/2 tsp are necessary for me to obtain these results. Baking soda has become one of my favorite tools for opposing stress, and I can't believe I didn't recognize its benefits sooner.

RWilly

Thanks to both of you for sharing your experiments and experiences. Very helpful.

@Mark2020 Do you happen to know how milk and OJ effect your pH?

Last edited:

Amazoniac

The effects of parietal cell secretory activity can be measured as a decrease in the pH of gastric juice and an increase in the pH of blood, the latter being recognized as a physiological postprandial phenomenon denoted as the ‘alkaline tide’ [3]. In health, hydrogen and chloride ions secreted by parietal cells in the stomach will be reabsorbed by enterocytes in the small intestine. Hence, the ‘alkaline tide’ is a transient phenomenon and production of gastric juice has no overall influence on acid-base status. However, if small intestinal reabsorption of hydrogen and chloride ions is prevented, alkalosis will develop.

⬑ [3] The Alkaline Tide Phenomenon

"To prevent alkalinization of the parietal cell concomitantly with acid secretion, bicarbonate extrusion must occur to prevent cell death.[18] It was thought teleologically that for every proton secreted, a HCO3− ion enters the bloodstream. This process, with physiologic consequences, was first recognized in the 1960s as alkalinization of the blood and urine after a meal and was termed the “alkaline tide.”[19,20] We have incorporated that expression to denote the increment in total body HCO3− that accompanies the acute increase in the rate of acid secretion."

"Alkaline tide is the physiologic counterpart of stimulated acid secretion. During acid secretion the parietal cell uses the basolateral membrane Cl−/HCO3− exchanger to remove intracellular bicarbonate and to maintain pHi. At the same time, chloride enters the cell ready for acid secretion. The extrusion of bicarbonate leads to the alkaline tide phenomenon, which can be accurately determined by changes in base excess in arterialized venous blood. Vagotomy and H2-receptor antagonists inhibit the alkaline tide response to histamine and pentagastrin. The measurement of alkaline tide may be useful as an alternative to that of the rate of gastric acid output."​

Last edited:

Andman

@Mark2020

Im in a mood for experiments currently, gonna give this a go! Do any ph-strips work or do i have to get specific ones?

Oh and have you tried coffee with some baking soda? (and/or milk) should help a little in theory

Stifler

I 100% agree. Coffee has recently started to make me feel really unwell (on the verge of vomiting) Even if I consume one cup regardless of how much sugar I add to even it out, but when I was healing it made me feel very healthy. I began adding a very small amount of baking soda to my orange juice and the results have been life-changing, its even better than niacinamide and before this I had viewed niacinamide as one of the best things I've ever incorporated.

retroactive

I've also been noticing good effects with 0.5-1 tsp of baking soda periodically. I found the Bob's Red Mill variety tastes better than the cheapo stuff too - processed better it seems?

OP
Mark2020

Mark2020

Thanks to both of you for sharing your experiments and experiences. Very helpful.

@Mark2020 Do you happen to know how milk and OJ effect your pH?
I am super late with this reply, but milk, I find to be fairly neutral pH wise, and OJ makes me more acidic. I don’t believe orange juice is a health food, unless it’s fresh pressed. Bottled OJ is garbage. It’s basically bottled acid.

I love Ray Peat’s work, obviously, because I’m here on this forum, but some of his recommendations don’t work for me personally. Coffee and OJ, nope. No good. My body treats each of them as if I’m being mildly poisoned. Milk is fine. I’ve tried the whole 2 liters a day thing like Ray does, and I start to have a lot of problems when I do that. I’m good with 1-3 cups a day though.

RWilly

I am super late with this reply, but milk, I find to be fairly neutral pH wise, and OJ makes me more acidic. I don’t believe orange juice is a health food, unless it’s fresh pressed. Bottled OJ is garbage. It’s basically bottled acid.

I love Ray Peat’s work, obviously, because I’m here on this forum, but some of his recommendations don’t work for me personally. Coffee and OJ, nope. No good. My body treats each of them as if I’m being mildly poisoned. Milk is fine. I’ve tried the whole 2 liters a day thing like Ray does, and I start to have a lot of problems when I do that. I’m good with 1-3 cups a day though.
Thanks.

Ganne

Hey Guys,

With this whole corona thing going on, I kept stumbling upon a lot of info on the benefits of baking soda therapy.

I’ve taken baking soda before, as I know Ray is a fan of it for increasing CO2. I’ve put it in my orange juice to reduce acidity, mostly. Occasionally taken it in plain water as well.

I also came across the concept of consistently testing your urine and salivary pH. I bought the pH strips, and I have to say, the relation between your pH and how you feel is dead-on accurate almost flawlessly.

I found when I don’t feel that great, both my urine and salivary pH always measured 6.5 or below. When I felt great, it always mesured 7.0 to 7.5. Every time, without fail. I found this fascinating.

I began to experiment testing my pH after certain foods, drink, baking soda, etc.

One of the things that I learned very quickly, is that coffee is a MAJOR no-no for me. It drops my pH substantially, and quickly, every time. No matter how I take the coffee. Black, espresso, cold brew, a little milk, lots of milk, no sugar, lots of sugar. Same result every time. Coffee destroys my pH levels, and makes me feel unwell.

On the flip side, baking soda. Wow. That’s all I have to say. Baking soda might be the #1 thing I’ve ever added to my regimen. And the results it’s given me on the pH scale solidifies it for me. It increases pH quickly, and makes me feel oxygenated, calm, and well.

In Dr. Mark Sircus’ book, he recommends 1/2 tsp in 4 oz of water up to 7 times a day, as needed, to raise pH, and keep it between 7.0 and 7.5 (And up to 8.0 if you have cancer). As you pH normalizes, you’ll need less dosages of baking soda to stay balanced and slightly alkaline.

I found this little experimentation fascinating. Oh, and starches? Terribly acidifying. Ray is right on the money when he speaks of avoiding starches. The proof is in the pudding. They quickly throw my body out of balance, just as bad, if not worse than coffee.

I know it’s contrary to Ray’s work, but I’ve realized more and more than coffee is not a health food. It’s an anti-health food poison, that has a lot of people duped into thinking it’s healthy. The coffee industry has thrown A LOT of money at creating biased studies in favor of coffee. I’m 100% with Nikola Tesla on his views of coffee. And oddly, Tesla’s diet is VERY similar to Ray’s recommendations. Two geniuses that think very alike when it comes to food and the body. But, they differ greatly on coffee. From my experiences with it, and many others on that forum, I’m convinced coffee is at BEST neutral for some, and harmful for most.

Baking soda and pH monitoring has changed my life. Give it a try!
Do you take the baking soda water on an empty stomach? Can it be taken with meals ? I have high adrenaline and am looking to bring it down. I agree about coffee. I just can’t see how this is good for the body. The caffeine from a few sips at lunch can mess with my sleep in the evening. This is powerful stuff.