CO2 Bathing [Experiment Included]

OP
m_arch

m_arch

Did you mean just your regular CP not the maximum?

What about taking a baseline reading before and then another one a short while after you were completely done?
Ah yeah by mcp i meant morning cp. a regular control pause yes, first thing after waking.

A baseline reading before and after? You mean the co2 bath? My readings of CP were always around 10 seconds. maximum maybe 15 on a great day.

Heidi

Ah yeah by mcp i meant morning cp. a regular control pause yes, first thing after waking.

A baseline reading before and after? You mean the co2 bath? My readings of CP were always around 10 seconds. maximum maybe 15 on a great day.
That's impressive that your CP was raised the next morning from the bath and that your results sustained for so long, especially given that it has been so hard to get your CP to budge at all. Was your CP good the next morning when you did the bath without the baking soda?

I was referring to the capnometer with the before and after readings. That even if you didn't take readings during the bath because you understandably don't want to damage it, that maybe the capnometer could still show a change even if you tested a short while after your bath.

OP
m_arch

m_arch

That's impressive that your CP was raised the next morning from the bath and that your results sustained for so long, especially given that it has been so hard to get your CP to budge at all. Was your CP good the next morning when you did the bath without the baking soda?

I was referring to the capnometer with the before and after readings. That even if you didn't take readings during the bath because you understandably don't want to damage it, that maybe the capnometer could still show a change even if you tested a short while after your bath.
I didn't take my Cp the morning after the hot only bath, but I suspect it wouldn't of sustained. It seems cp is linked mostly to pH

Yeah that's a good idea for the capnometer reading. Truth be told I don't think it will change much. I feel that metabolism = etco2 generation and pH = control pause, and that is most easily regulated by sodium bicarbonate, a different kind of carbon . I think vos was correct saying to nebulise baking soda if your ph gets low (in his case, from inhaled co2).

Perhaps all the buteyko benefits were due to high ph?
It's still confusing.

DaveFoster

Have you considered a breathing device (Frolov device) to raise CO2 levels? Or an elevation training mask?

OP
m_arch

m_arch

Have you considered a breathing device (Frolov device) to raise CO2 levels? Or an elevation training mask?
I own both of these, but prefer other methods. I think it's individual preference. The frolov device works the same as bag breathing and recovery breathing - another air hunger method, but it may help diaphragm breathing more If your not consciously aware of it.

Training elevation mask I think is more for sports / exercise

Last edited:

Heidi

I didn't take my Cp the morning after the hot only bath, but I suspect it wouldn't of sustained. It seems cp is linked mostly to pH

Yeah that's a good idea for the capnometer reading. Truth be told I don't think it will change much. I feel that metabolism = etco2 generation and pH = control pause, and that is most easily regulated by sodium bicarbonate, a different kind of carbon . I think vos was correct saying to nebulise baking soda if your ph gets low (in his case, from inhaled co2).

Perhaps all the buteyko benefits were due to high ph?
It's still confusing.
I wonder how much is individual? It could be that ph is a missing link for you. Have you tested your PH? When I've tested my urine in the past my ph had been in a good range. I'm not sure where it's at now as there have been so many changes.

I know that breathing is key for me as hyperventilation has been a lifelong issue. Even though I've made good progress, I've still got a ways to go with that.

Have you read these?
CO2 and pH
Alkalinity vs Acidity 2012, KMUD : The Herb Doctors

Heidi

So my husband and I tested urine ph today. Mine was 7 and later 6. My husband's was 4 each time. (We don't have anything that tests more accurately.) I told my husband that he should try the baking soda bath! His CP has been around 10, but his oximeter readings are much better than mine. So m_arch, I'm wondering if my husband's problem with CP is the same as yours? He has always tended to be too acidic.

OP
m_arch

m_arch

I wonder how much is individual? It could be that ph is a missing link for you. Have you tested your PH? When I've tested my urine in the past my ph had been in a good range. I'm not sure where it's at now as there have been so many changes.

I know that breathing is key for me as hyperventilation has been a lifelong issue. Even though I've made good progress, I've still got a ways to go with that.

Have you read these?
CO2 and pH
Alkalinity vs Acidity 2012, KMUD : The Herb Doctors
I hadnt read the herb doctors one! Thanks! Interesting that the Dr recommends baking soda for athletes. I think a fair share of my bodies stress is due to playing a lot of sport.

Another one;
Michael: Can you simulate being at a high altitude by eating a lot of baking soda?

RP: Yeah, that's what the bicycle racers were doing. When someone who lives at a high altitude goes to sea level, they very often get sick.
------------------

From memory my saliva pH was normal, but this was a few years ago.

Last edited:
OP
m_arch

m_arch

So my husband and I tested urine ph today. Mine was 7 and later 6. My husband's was 4 each time. (We don't have anything that tests more accurately.) I told my husband that he should try the baking soda bath! His CP has been around 10, but his oximeter readings are much better than mine. So m_arch, I'm wondering if my husband's problem with CP is the same as yours? He has always tended to be too acidic.
Awesome! Let me know what happens to his CP from the bath.
Also from that ray peat article it sounds like a good idea to stop eating so many grains, non-gelatin meat, and legumes.

tara

Heidi

This looks very low - are you using the same strips? Maybe worth testing more, at different times of day.
Is he getting calcium and magnesium? Peat usually recommends more calcium than phosphorus, maybe better 1.5 : 1.
Thanks Tara. We used the same strips. I knew that he tended to be too acidic, but we were surprised by how low he tested. I gave him suggestions of things to try and compiled a bunch of forum links for him to read. He eats a lot of calcium rich food and supplements magnesium. I am puzzled about why he is acidic to that degree. Any ideas?

Awesome! Let me know what happens to his CP from the bath.
He isn't into checking his CP, but hopefully he'll do it for the sake of our experiments.

But he has gotten very interested in Ray Peat info and is cutting back on and throwing out food high in PUFA.

Last edited:

Xisca

m_arch, if you do not like the taste of baking soda (who does!), the common way of taking it is with lemon juice. also, you do not get too much alcaline, it compensate.
About pH, i have learned long ago that the balance has a reason, acidic protects against bacterias, such as preserves with tomato sauce, and alkaline protects against fungi. So we cannot go too much on one side nor the other!

dd99

LOL :cheers There's a whole Soviet New Year's movie involving banya and vodka (It's really great - called "The Irony of Fate OR Enjoy Your Bath"..... but we just drink tea during the process.
That's one of my favourite movies! We used to watch it every New Year. Haven't managed to find a version with subtitles, so my wife can't watch it, unfortunately. Plus, like all Russian movies, it's stupidly long - not Russian War and Peace 10 hours long, but long.

lindsay

That's one of my favourite movies! We used to watch it every New Year. Haven't managed to find a version with subtitles, so my wife can't watch it, unfortunately. Plus, like all Russian movies, it's stupidly long - not Russian War and Peace 10 hours long, but long.

I love that movie :): My husband managed to find it with subtitles on DVD, but I'm not sure where. However, it's on Youtube with subtitles, divided into two parts, I think.

biggirlkisss

the problem with co2 is if u add heat as the bath becomes cold u lose co2 this didnt happen with baking soda...

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals