Easiest Ways To Increase CO2 Tolerance

TylerDurden

Hi, I am very interested in raising my CO2 tolerance levels but I am not sure what the easiest/best way to go about it is. My body feels tense most of the time, I have a hard time focusing and I seem to get out of breath quite easily during exercise despite having no medical conditions and blood tests coming back normal, also I am a good weight for my height. I have tried Buteyko breathing but found it very difficult, time consuming and tedious I have tried using the Frolov device but found it very irritating and barely saw any results. I have looked online and apart from exercising or using the Buteyko method I have found very little information on this. The archives on this forum are vast and hard to navigate for a newbie.

I purchased a training mask as I read it helps you to inhale more dead volume resulting in breathing back in lost CO2 however searching on this forum indicated that this may not be an effective means of raising CO2. I would like to know what are the most effective ways to raise CO2 levels in the body, something that doesn't involve feeling like I am suffocating or having to dedicate two hours a day to consciously controlling how I breathe. In short something practical to use in every day life. The easiest thing I have found is blocking the nostril that is most open and breathing only through the partially blocked nostril, although I have no idea if this is actually raising the co2 tolerance levels in my body. Thanks

Last edited:

jitsmonkey

I have done all you have mentioned
and additionally own a CO2 tank.
With the exception of the use of the CO2 tank
the only method that had produced how Ray describes bag breathing should feel
is the training mask. If I'm working at my desk and I have any baseless anxiety
I put the mask on and within a few minutes things settle down and relax.
I am in complete agreement with those who say the training mask is NOT suitable
for increasing CO2 and should not be as effective as bag breathing
however that's not consistent with my experience.

You likely have other issues that need addressing aside from this
but to speak directly to some of the things you mentioned using this has been my experience.

additionally I cannot with any certainty say "my CO2 has increased from this"
I can just say the effects that frolov, bag breathing, etc... are reported to produce as a result of CO2
increase, I consistently get those results with the training mask. I do not use it when I exercise or am
active only when sitting at my desk or just hanging around the house.

OP
T

TylerDurden

Thanks for the reply, I was doing the same with the training mask. I would put it on the highest setting and then use it while watching TV. It is very convenient because you do not have to focus on your breathing, if you have work to do or want to watch TV or just relax you still can. I am curious as to why you said it helps you but you agree it does not increase CO2. The only trouble with the training mask is that I am often in environments where looking like sub zero from Mortal Combat might get me a few funny looks. There may be an underlining cause although I do not know what it is, my breathing seems very shallow and I do not seem to exhale enough as I have read exhalation is key to activating the parasympathetic nervous system, obviously you cannot consciously control your breathing 24/7 as this is not practical.

Bag breathing would be more convenient if there was a mask with a bag attached to it so you could just put it on without having to hold the bag to your face. I also tried the Wim Hof method briefly although this seems to have the exact opposite effect.

Last edited:

jitsmonkey

I am curious as to why you said it helps you but you agree it does not increase CO2.

I'm not necessarily saying its not increasing CO2
but the notion that it theoretically isn't large enough/doesn't hold enough air to be a useful CO2 concentrator
is difficult to argue with. That being said, the result is equally difficult to argue with so I continue to use it. The result is far more important to me than the theory.

OP
T

TylerDurden

It seems like the training mask is the best strategy because at least you can just put it on and go about your life and do what you need to so. I am curious about breathing through a paper bag, do you know if there is a device you can buy that increases CO2 not including the Frolov device, something you can just put on and use without consciously having to do anything. What is your opinion on using dust masks or surgical masks to raise CO2?

Last edited:

jitsmonkey

I'm not aware of a wearable bag.
I'd imagine surgical and dust masks would be comparable to training mask with less resistance and lower volume

alywest

For me, taking 1500 mg thiamine per day has helped me tremendously with CO2 and breathing, and if I don't take that amount I will actually have sleep apnea, so it's a huge difference if I take the right amount or not. Basically the difference between me waking up suffocating several times a night or not. 1500 mg inhibits carbonic anhydrase, like acetazolamide. Haidut posted the study a while ago.

Ulysses

Lap swimming and free diving are both great forms of exercise that have hypercapnia built into them. My CP went way up when I joined a masters swim team.

OP
T

TylerDurden

I have been doing some research on the Ray Peat diet and I am going to give it a try, hopefully this will raise the CO2 levels in my blood. I am also interested in lowering cortisol, I read on this forum that having adequate protein (minimum of 80g a day) is essential to lowering cortisol. However I have done a Google search and my findings are inconclusive, any information on whether or not the Ray Peat diet will lower cortisol?

Andman

I have been doing some research on the Ray Peat diet and I am going to give it a try, hopefully this will raise the CO2 levels in my blood. I am also interested in lowering cortisol, I read on this forum that having adequate protein (minimum of 80g a day) is essential to lowering cortisol. However I have done a Google search and my findings are inconclusive, any information on whether or not the Ray Peat diet will lower cortisol?

lowering stress hormones (among them cortisol) is one of the corner stones of peating

DannyIrons™

I would argue that if Buteyko isn't working for you, it is most likely that you're are not performing the exercises correctly. If when doing Buteyko you experience a feeling of suffocation, you are holding your breath too much. The way Buteyko works is that the air shortage is very subtle, the respiratory centre in the brain then slowly resets to allow high CO2 tolerances - if you stress your body by holding your breath too much (or feel suffocated), your brain will reject what you are trying to achieve.

Also you can improve your intolerance by doing even 20 minutes a day, although better if you can do more for sure. It doesn't require hours and hours of practice each day, realistically no one has time for this.

jitsmonkey

Why Raising Metabolism May NOT Rise CO2; Effect Of Drugs And Temperature On CO2 Tolerance

Evgenius

Guys when you say training mask do you mean those high altitude training masks or something else ?

OP
T

TylerDurden

I have seen improvements through putting the top zip part of a hoodie over my nose and ears creating a tight seal at the bottom through a belt tied around the bottom of my rib cage, my breathing is a lot heavier while I do this but I can feel the benefits. I feel more alert but at the same time more relaxed and my hands get really warm. I did this for about three hours yesterday while watching TV, I am curious as to how long it will be before I notice improved CO2 during normal breathing. Also since starting the Ray Peat diet my energy levels have gone up and I feel better although sometimes I feel wired, whereas I used to feel wired and tired all the time. Confirming to me that my fatigue and anxiety was mostly CO2 related.

Regina

I watched this video last night.
After reaching the summit, the Sherpas declare this tourist dead. They say a prayer, take some of his belongings for his family (including his oxygen equip), and leave his "dead" body in the snow.
Some hrs later, he arouses alone and (long story short) survives.
Did the CO2 restore him?

Beastmode

I asked Ray about using a training mask a while back and this is what he had to say:

"I think that much change of oxygen pressure might require gradual adaptation over time to achieve the good effects of high altitude, the way ascent to 10,000 feet does. Enzymes take time to adjust, tissues take time to come to equilibrium when CO2 level changes, and hormones have to interact gradually."