Home Made Yeast Co2 Generator Small Funny

biggirlkisss

quote "i have been using a homade generator for the past 6 months and it works pretty good. my friend has a Co2 PPM meter and I have taken consistant readings at 1200PPM in my tent. what i do is take a 2-gallon bucket with lid and drill 2 holes in the top. i fill the bucket with 1-gallon of water at room temperature, i jar bakers yeast, 2 pounds sugar and 2 tabsp. baking soda then wisk it together. i use grommets for my airhoses to make an air-tight seal. i run 1 air-hose into the solution with an airstone attached to an airpump and the other suspended right below the lid. that one is run to my osclating fan. i have the airpump hooked up to my light timer so the airpump forced the Co2 out when the lights come on. i add about a cup of sugar every 2 weeks to keep the yeast active. although this can be a pain sometimes it works for my current situation. it is a cheap alternative and produces no heat"
If I will to build does anyone know where I go to get the parts?
I'm in apartment and the landlord not going to be happy if it smells. Would yeast extract give a bad odor maybe should i go for a co2 tank and let the co2 out more expensive mind you.

Last edited:

tara

The yeast will have an odour. Whether you like it or not is a matter of taste - I like it now and then, but I think I'd find it overwhelming after a while. It will use up oxygen to make CO2, so it will not have quite the same effect as just adding CO2 to air, as one would with a CO2 tank. I'd expect it to be more like the effect of rebreathing your own used air, which you can probably do more simply by other means without the yeastiness. I think the yeast also produces water in the process, as does human respiration.

Here's what I'd do:
0. Notice and relax your breath whenever you think about it.
1: If you haven't yet checked that you are sleeping reliably with your mouth shut, check that. If it tends to open, use a chin strap or tape to encourage it to stay shut.
2. Check whether you are habitually breathing with your diaphragm or chest at rest. If your chest, try retraining to diaphragm by constraining your chest for a little while at a time - as long as you can feel comfortable, with a belt or similar - till your diaphragm is back in the habit and your chest muscles can relax and just get to work when you climb hills/dig the garden/load firewood etc.
3: Chuck a clean tea towel or similar over your head before you go to sleep at night, with just enough fresh air getting in to keep it comfortable. This makes you rebreath more of your own air than usual, but still lets in some fresh air to supply oxygen. If that helps at all, you know you are on to something, and can pursue more expensive/elaborate methods if you want.
4. Read up on the other threads here on other ways people have found to raise their CO2 levels by various cheap breathing apparatus, including Adrian's above (Poor Man's Rebreather Kit) or exercises.

encerent

The yeast will have an odour. Whether you like it or not is a matter of taste - I like it now and then, but I think I'd find it overwhelming after a while. It will use up oxygen to make CO2, so it will not have quite the same effect as just adding CO2 to air, as one would with a CO2 tank. I'd expect it to be more like the effect of rebreathing your own used air, which you can probably do more simply by other means without the yeastiness. I think the yeast also produces water in the process, as does human respiration.

Here's what I'd do:
0. Notice and relax your breath whenever you think about it.
1: If you haven't yet checked that you are sleeping reliably with your mouth shut, check that. If it tends to open, use a chin strap or tape to encourage it to stay shut.
2. Check whether you are habitually breathing with your diaphragm or chest at rest. If your chest, try retraining to diaphragm by constraining your chest for a little while at a time - as long as you can feel comfortable, with a belt or similar - till your diaphragm is back in the habit and your chest muscles can relax and just get to work when you climb hills/dig the garden/load firewood etc.
3: Chuck a clean tea towel or similar over your head before you go to sleep at night, with just enough fresh air getting in to keep it comfortable. This makes you rebreath more of your own air than usual, but still lets in some fresh air to supply oxygen. If that helps at all, you know you are on to something, and can pursue more expensive/elaborate methods if you want.
4. Read up on the other threads here on other ways people have found to raise their CO2 levels by various cheap breathing apparatus, including Adrian's above (Poor Man's Rebreather Kit) or exercises.

Good tips. I'm starting to really like the tape on the mouth, a technique encouraged by Butyeko practitioners. I now also pull the blanket over my head and find I fall asleep easily.

tara

The yeast will have an odour. Whether you like it or not is a matter of taste - I like it now and then, but I think I'd find it overwhelming after a while.
PS. I haven't used this technique that you quoted, I just meant I liked the smell of yeast from baking and brewing in general. :)

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals