Replicating Natural CO2 And Mineral Baths At Home

Philomath

I put this in the mineral thread but this could also reside in the CO2 section as well.
I was trying to find the best way to create CO2 in a normal bath and ran across this old therapeutic method.
This bath is the artificial method for recreating the natural spring waters in Nauheim Germany. These spring waters naturally contained various salts and carbonic acid. They were very popular in the late 1800's and early 1900's.
In order to recreate the natural waters, various "recipes" were created based on patient needs. However, most were based on these salts to varying degrees:
  • Sodium carbonate: 1½lb
  • Sodium bicarbonate (baking soda): ½lb
  • Calcium chloride: 3lb
  • Sodium chloride: 2lb
  • Sodium bisulphate: 1lb
Mix the first four ingredients, then dissolve the mixture in a few inches of warm water in the bottom of the bathtub. When thoroughly dissolved, fill the tub with water at the desired temperature. The sodium bisulphate, which is the acid part of the formula, should be granular or finely pounded and dissolved separately in a wooden pail containing hot water. As it may require some time for this to dissolve, it should be prepared before the bath is to be given. When thoroughly dissolved, pour into the tub and quickly mix with the rest of the water. The bath is now ready for use. The temperature of the bath should range from 85º to 92º F (Abbott, 1911).

Does anyone have experience with this method or the springs in Nauheim? Would this be a better, more natural way to get your minerals (sodium, calcium)?
I'm not a chemist but I'm guessing these acids and bases end up in a relatively neutral state. If you want to add magnesium as well, would adding a few cups of Epsom salts be problematic? Would magnesium flakes be better?

OP
Philomath

Philomath

Throwing this back out there