Food poisoning led to all my problems - SIBO / bloating might be cause of my issues?

FredSonoma

All my problems were triggered by a bout of food poisoning, causing major IBS-like symptoms, an inability to eat starch w/o major issues, and joint problems.

I just read a recent Chris Kresser article about food poisoning being a common trigger of "SIBO," no idea if SIBO is really, if Chris Kresser is legit, etc.:

http://chriskresser.com/sibo-update-an- ... -pimentel/

"Well, this speaks to kind of food poisoning triggering everything because this starts to get into that area, but we think food poisoning causes some kind of neuropathy or motility disturbance of the intestinal tract, and then you get stasis or slowing, and then the bacteria start to accumulate. I would say that probably 70% or 80% of patients who come to me with overgrowth, that’s the mechanism of action, or at least that’s what we feel is the mechanism, and that it’s a reduction in the migrating motor complexes as a result of some insult in the past."

Then they talked about some kind of drug called prokinetics to fix it:

"The problem with prokinetics is we’re kind of hitting a wall. The circuitry of the gut is not connected well, and you’re kind of forcing it to do something that — and again, it depends on how severe that is in a patient, as to whether the prokinetic will work well enough, so we’re shifting gears almost entirely. We’ve spent the last six years kind of trying to figure out, well, why is this happening from food poisoning? And that led to the next blood test for IBS that was just launched about eight or nine weeks ago. Are you familiar with that?"

Has anyone experienced major bloating and fixed it?

I've been Peating since June now, and if I go even ONE DAY without eating gelatin, it ruins me - I feel so down and anxious. Or eating some store bought cheese with vegetarian rennet can make me feel awful for hours. Basically, I'm absurdly sensitive and will feel absolutely awful if I stray even slightly. I have serious stomach bloating all the time. I also don't eat any starch, tend to eat very low fat, and drink lots of coffee. Any ideas about what to do for the bloating / especially in the light of this food poisoning stuff?

OP
F

FredSonoma

Cyproheptadine - a wonder drug?

answersfound said:
post 104954
FredSonoma said:
post 104949 Does the tiredness go away eventually because of tolerance? Or is it because the lowering of stress hormones is revealing a tired body that needs rest, and that is why it gets better over time?

yes. it gets better. but it's also revealing a slow metabolism, so it's important to use thyroid or thyroid surrogates like caffeine to restore metabolism and the fatigue won't be as severe.

Okay cool. I have been drinking a fking shitload of coffee the past few days.

Last edited by a moderator:

answersfound

FredSonoma said:
answersfound said:
post 104954
FredSonoma said:
post 104949 Does the tiredness go away eventually because of tolerance? Or is it because the lowering of stress hormones is revealing a tired body that needs rest, and that is why it gets better over time?

yes. it gets better. but it's also revealing a slow metabolism, so it's important to use thyroid or thyroid surrogates like caffeine to restore metabolism and the fatigue won't be as severe.

That's a great sign that you can tolerate a "fcking shitload of coffee." I would guess great health is around the corner for you. But you may want to consider a thyroid supplement. Supposedly ray would drink 50 cups of coffee a day before he discovered thyroid.

OP
F

FredSonoma

answersfound said:
post 104959
FredSonoma said:
answersfound said:
post 104954
FredSonoma said:

That's a great sign that you can tolerate a "fcking shitload of coffee." I would guess great health is around the corner for you. But you may want to consider a thyroid supplement. Supposedly ray would drink 50 cups of coffee a day before he discovered thyroid.

Holy jesus lol, I hope that's what it means, but I seem to have serious intestinal / stomach / gut biome problems that don't seem to improve through anything... can't eat the smallest amount of rice or onions without diarrhea / acne / crankiness

haidut

Forum Supporter

FredSonoma said:
post 104961
answersfound said:
post 104959
FredSonoma said:
answersfound said:
post 104954
FredSonoma said:

Holy jesus lol, I hope that's what it means, but I seem to have serious intestinal / stomach / gut biome problems that don't seem to improve through anything... can't eat the smallest amount of rice or onions without diarrhea / acne / crankiness

Ray said that for people with intestinal issues starch should be zero, including more benign types like rice.

OP
F

FredSonoma

haidut said:
post 104965
FredSonoma said:
post 104961
answersfound said:
post 104959
FredSonoma said:
answersfound said:
post 104954
FredSonoma said:

Ray said that for people with intestinal issues starch should be zero, including more benign types like rice.

I've been almost zero starch for like 3 years now - maybe once every 3 months I'll test some. However, I found when I complete "starve" my bacteria - meaning no starch, inulin, honey, or any prebiotics, I don't feel great. I'll feel more "alpha" and testosteroned-out and less overly goofy (which I think is a result of stress hormones or endotoxin) but I get tired and socially awkward. I'm thinking it might be that the fermentation of certain prebiotics actually provides some kind of nutrient? (B-vitamins, butyrate??? idk)

I also have major bloating, my friends call it my "fruit belly" because I used to eat so much fruit. I look kinda pregnant lol

D

Derek

FredSonoma said:
post 104966
haidut said:
post 104965
FredSonoma said:
post 104961
answersfound said:
post 104959
FredSonoma said:
answersfound said:
post 104954
FredSonoma said:

I've been almost zero starch for like 3 years now - maybe once every 3 months I'll test some. However, I found when I complete "starve" my bacteria - meaning no starch, inulin, honey, or any prebiotics, I don't feel great. I'll feel more "alpha" and testosteroned-out and less overly goofy (which I think is a result of stress hormones or endotoxin) but I get tired and socially awkward. I'm thinking it might be that the fermentation of certain prebiotics actually provides some kind of nutrient? (B-vitamins, butyrate??? idk)

I also have major bloating, my friends call it my "fruit belly" because I used to eat so much fruit. I look kinda pregnant lol

If you have been almost zero starch for three years and still have major bloating, how can you conclude that starch is the culprit? I think you already identified the cause by your "fruit belly" comment. I find that fruit is so much worse for people with digestive problems than are well refined white starches. I think your body is just not accustomed to eating starch, that's why you react the way you do. Did you eat this rice for 1-2 days and get diarrhea, crankiness and just quit it? Did you give your body enough time to adjust to it? Did you eat any SFA with it? You do get nutrients from the digestion of starches. The problem is you want this fermentation to occur in the large intestine, not the stomach or small intestine. Also, if you haven't tried it you could try sushi rice. Very easy to digest. Boiled potatoes with coconut oil is another option I would try. I don't agree that if you have intestinal issues you need to keep starch to zero. I mean a diet of milk, gelatin and fruit can cause serious bloating, constipation, diarrhea, endotoxemia. But it has zero starch? Gelatin feeds bacteria and increases endotoxin more than starch, milk increases serotonin more than starch, and I already mentioned fruit.

OP
F

FredSonoma

Derek said:
post 108785
FredSonoma said:
post 104966
haidut said:
post 104965
FredSonoma said:
post 104961
answersfound said:
post 104959
FredSonoma said:
answersfound said:
post 104954
FredSonoma said:

If you have been almost zero starch for three years and still have major bloating, how can you conclude that starch is the culprit? I think you already identified the cause by your "fruit belly" comment. I find that fruit is so much worse for people with digestive problems than are well refined white starches. I think your body is just not accustomed to eating starch, that's why you react the way you do. Did you eat this rice for 1-2 days and get diarrhea, crankiness and just quit it? Did you give your body enough time to adjust to it? Did you eat any SFA with it? You do get nutrients from the digestion of starches. The problem is you want this fermentation to occur in the large intestine, not the stomach or small intestine. Also, if you haven't tried it you could try sushi rice. Very easy to digest. Boiled potatoes with coconut oil is another option I would try. I don't agree that if you have intestinal issues you need to keep starch to zero. I mean a diet of milk, gelatin and fruit can cause serious bloating, constipation, diarrhea, endotoxemia. But it has zero starch? Gelatin feeds bacteria and increases endotoxin more than starch, milk increases serotonin more than starch, and I already mentioned fruit.

I am interested in trying it. I've especially been craving a nice boiled potato with lots of butter and sour cream. I may try it soon but I am afraid lol. Has anyone else found that reducing fruit but increasing starch helped digestive problems? I do think my metabolism is faster now and I will probably tolerate it better than before.

D

Derek

FredSonoma said:
post 108804
Derek said:
post 108785
FredSonoma said:
post 104966
haidut said:
post 104965
FredSonoma said:
post 104961
answersfound said:
post 104959
FredSonoma said:
answersfound said:
post 104954
FredSonoma said:

I am interested in trying it. I've especially been craving a nice boiled potato with lots of butter and sour cream. I may try it soon but I am afraid lol. Has anyone else found that reducing fruit but increasing starch helped digestive problems? I do think my metabolism is faster now and I will probably tolerate it better than before.

Your psychological state/thoughts have a profound impact on digestion. If you are afraid to eat something than you have no chance of digesting it well. I know this from personal experience with eating gluten. When I avoided it because "it's bad for you" and I was scared to eat it, anytime I tried eating it, I would get bloating and digestive issues. When I simply relaxed and just ate it, without any negative thoughts, I had no issues!

I have helped many people coming from diets based on raw fruits and vegetables by increasing their consumption of well refined white starches (with a little SFA), and decreasing or eliminating their consumption of fruits and vegetables.

Nicholas

Derek said:
post 108785 milk increases serotonin more than starch

i don't consume that much milk (maybe 2-3 cups/day)..and i do crave it for the most part. but it would be interesting to eliminate it and see how things go. if someone goes milk-free, how do you recommend getting calcium?

OP
F

FredSonoma

Nicholas said:
post 111842
Derek said:

i don't consume that much milk (maybe 2-3 cups/day)..and i do crave it for the most part. but it would be interesting to eliminate it and see how things go. if someone goes milk-free, how do you recommend getting calcium?

Derek, is there evidence for this? I am also considering cutting milk out. I can only eat so much cheese though before I hate it... I always can drink milk like a beast though

D

Derek

Nicholas said:
post 111842
Derek said:

There are people I know who have much better success using micellar casein powder instead of milk, or I guess some form of cheese you tolerate could also work. The benefit of the micellar casein is that it contains no bacterial byproducts (cheese is fermented and has microbial contaminants) and is very pure. BTW, I still consume like 1 or 2 cups of milk also. However, I do know people who get serious serotonin symptoms from just one cup of milk, but they consume micellar casein and are fine.

I think the requirements for calcium are very individual depending on the metabolic rate. 1g per day is more than enough for 90% of people in my opinion. Some people here are consuming 3-5g a day, which is only helpful in very specific conditions and possibly only for a short duration. I recommended this to someone who couldn't tolerate milk and wanted a better source, cooked green vegetables. One head of bok choy has 950mg calcium. When you steam it or boil it, it cooks down to almost nothing and is very easy to eat with meat and rice. I eat this frequently. Also, like I said you could try casein powder.

A little anecdote: I was consuming 2 quarts milk and my teeth and bones were not good. That's 2.5g calcium. When I cut the milk and started eating white bread, my teeth got hard. The only thing I did different was swap milk with bread. I believe it was either from K2 via gut fermentation of the bread, the increased carb/low water content of bread improving metabolism, or maybe something in the milk that was causing issue. When I switched out milk in favor of bread my calcium was about 800-1000mg daily!

Nicholas

Derek said:
post 111845
Nicholas said:
post 111842
Derek said:

There are people I know who have much better success using micellar casein powder instead of milk, or I guess some form of cheese you tolerate could also work. The benefit of the micellar casein is that it contains no bacterial byproducts (cheese is fermented and has microbial contaminants) and is very pure. BTW, I still consume like 1 or 2 cups of milk also. However, I do know people who get serious serotonin symptoms from just one cup of milk, but they consume micellar casein and are fine.

I think the requirements for calcium are very individual depending on the metabolic rate. 1g per day is more than enough for 90% of people in my opinion. Some people here are consuming 3-5g a day, which is only helpful in very specific conditions and possibly only for a short duration. I recommended this to someone who couldn't tolerate milk and wanted a better source, cooked green vegetables. One head of bok choy has 950mg calcium. When you steam it or boil it, it cooks down to almost nothing and is very easy to eat with meat and rice. I eat this frequently. Also, like I said you could try casein powder.

A little anecdote: I was consuming 2 quarts milk and my teeth and bones were not good. That's 2.5g calcium. When I cut the milk and started eating white bread, my teeth got hard. The only thing I did different was swap milk with bread. I believe it was either from K2 via gut fermentation of the bread, the increased carb/low water content of bread improving metabolism, or maybe something in the milk that was causing issue. When I switched out milk in favor of bread my calcium was about 800-1000mg daily!

cool, i found milk was better for me when i got off raw milk. i've been doing collard greens for the past few weeks, so there's some calcium there and certainly a lot of K. i developed sensitive teeth when i started eating fruit a couple years ago. that whole issue went away when i started taking low-dose taurine.....i don't suspect because of any other reason than it affecting the gut positively with the bile acids.....
what have been your experiences with table sugar and/or honey regarding inflammation?

D

Derek

FredSonoma said:
post 111844
Nicholas said:
post 111842
Derek said:

Derek, is there evidence for this? I am also considering cutting milk out. I can only eat so much cheese though before I hate it... I always can drink milk like a beast though

Serotonin comes mainly from two sources: Tryptophan and gut irritation/endotoxin.

The tryptophan in milk will be converted to serotonin unless you have optimal thyroid function. But milk suppresses your thyroid, so it's almost always going to increase serotonin unless you're a nursing baby or a young child (both who have fast oxidation rates).

Starch, as long as it's well cooked and properly refined; will likely not cause much of a serotonin response. There isn't much if any tryptophan and refined starch is very easy to digest so there shouldn't be much gut irritation. However, whole grains in this context would be awful and would increase serotonin.

D

Derek

Nicholas said:
post 111846
Derek said:
post 111845
Nicholas said:
post 111842
Derek said:

cool, i found milk was better for me when i got off raw milk. i've been doing collard greens for the past few weeks, so there's some calcium there and certainly a lot of K. i developed sensitive teeth when i started eating fruit a couple years ago. that whole issue went away when i started taking low-dose taurine.....i don't suspect because of any other reason than it affecting the gut positively with the bile acids.....
what have been your experiences with table sugar and/or honey regarding inflammation?

The only issue with collards could be the oxalates binding to calcium. Bok choy is very low in oxalates. However, this really depends on the individual's tolerance to oxalates. Eating cooked spinach for a week made my teeth start to hurt. Just pay attention to your teeth, if they're hard and white while eating collards, then you got a good source of calcium.

Taurine = Bile acids = increased absorption of fat solubles = better teeth!

I don't tolerate refined sugar very well and honey seems to cause allergies for me. I eat small amount of sugar, like when I make bread; but not large amounts.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals