Fiber For Satiety

Hans

Forum Supporter
Most people relate fiber with satiety and also gut health. But do we really need fiber to feel full? The answer leans more towards no.

Fiber is a concern at the back of people's minds when they consider a "peat diet" which consists of a lot of liquid.
So is the lack of fiber detrimental to satiety?
Check it out: Do you really need fiber to feel full? Do yaaah? » MenElite

Hgreen56

funny, fiber is for me the only thing that's makes me satisfied and increase my bowel movement.
i can eats tons of protein (300 gr a day) but never stops the hunger for me.
i can eat tons of protein + fat (ketose) is always hunger if i dont eat tons of fiber.
No fiber = no bowel movement for days = constipation & always hunger.

OP
Hans

Hans

Forum Supporter
funny, fiber is for me the only thing that's makes me satisfied and increase my bowel movement.
i can eat tons of protein + fat (ketose) is always hunger if i dont eat tons of fiber.
Interesting.W kind of protein did you eat?
Also what ethnicity are you if you don't mind me asking?
Also, how much fiber are you aiming for daily and from what food sources do you get it?

somuch4food

Do you eat starches?

More fiber is needed for me when I eat more starch to help it keep moving.

@Hans What are your proteins and the quantities?

OP
Hans

Hans

Forum Supporter
Do you eat starches?

More fiber is needed for me when I eat more starch to help it keep moving.

@Hans What are your proteins and the quantities?
My protein comes from ground beef and milk atm at around 200g daily.

Jessie

Do you have any thoughts on the differences between fermentable fibers and the non-fermentable fiber? I would think anything that speeds up transit would be beneficial, to an extent anyways. Whereas fermentable fibers that slow transit are much more risky, particularly in a low metabolic state. Also I agree fiber of any kind doesn't really do much for my satiety.

OP
Hans

Hans

Forum Supporter
Do you have any thoughts on the differences between fermentable fibers and the non-fermentable fiber? I would think anything that speeds up transit would be beneficial, to an extent anyways. Whereas fermentable fibers that slow transit are much more risky, particularly in a low metabolic state. Also I agree fiber of any kind doesn't really do much for my satiety.
I actually found that my bowel health improved dramatically since cutting out starches and fiber. I now have 2 bowel movements a day with a ghost wipe without the use of activated charcoal whereas when I ate starch I had slower more tarry stool once a day. Even green beans can slow my transit time and worsen stool quality, where apple fiber doesn't seem to do the same.
So it appears that there is somewhat of a difference between veggie and fruit fiber for me.

Jessie

Interesting, thanks for the advice. I don't do well with many veggies outside of the raw carrot. I thought potatoes set well on my digestion, but after removing them I noticed a definitive increase in regularity. So they were definitely causing some minor problems I was previously unaware of. I agree most fruit fibers tend to be benign on me. Wild blueberries and cooked apples/pears are my favorites. Wheat bran has also been a huge benefit to me, having a strong laxative effect.

OP
Hans

Hans

Forum Supporter
Interesting, thanks for the advice. I don't do well with many veggies outside of the raw carrot. I thought potatoes set well on my digestion, but after removing them I noticed a definitive increase in regularity. So they were definitely causing some minor problems I was previously unaware of. I agree most fruit fibers tend to be benign on me. Wild blueberries and cooked apples/pears are my favorites. Wheat bran has also been a huge benefit to me, having a strong laxative effect.
Another cool, slightly laxative spice is cardamom. It also helps with proper detoxification of toxins and estrogen (preventing their re-absorption).

jet9

What foods are you getting fiber from?

Jessie

Another cool, slightly laxative spice is cardamom. It also helps with proper detoxification of toxins and estrogen (preventing their re-absorption).

Awesome thanks! I've always liked the flavor cardamom added to dishes. I'll have to start using this again.

David90

I Personally hold my Fiber between 15-25g per Day.

I get my Fiber Mostly from (Well Cooked-) Potatoes as well as White Mushrooms, Raw Carrot, Oranges, Kiwifruit, Beets and Spinach.

Even on my 2016 Blood Test donem my SHBG was too High from too much Fiber. Can also be the Aftermath from the Workout the Day before, tho.
But on my 2019 Test the SHBG was in a Normal/Good Range. Correlation perhaps?!

Hans is Right, you don't really need THAT much Fiber to feel Satiety. But If you have A Manual Labour Job then maybe upping (carefully) the Fiber could help. I personally would not go higher than 25g of Fiber per Day, rather keeping it on the lower side.

OP
Hans

Hans

Forum Supporter
I Personally hold my Fiber between 15-25g per Day.

I get my Fiber Mostly from (Well Cooked-) Potatoes as well as White Mushrooms, Raw Carrot, Oranges, Kiwifruit, Beets and Spinach.

Even on my 2016 Blood Test donem my SHBG was too High from too much Fiber. Can also be the Aftermath from the Workout the Day before, tho.
But on my 2019 Test the SHBG was in a Normal/Good Range. Correlation perhaps?!

Hans is Right, you don't really need THAT much Fiber to feel Satiety. But If you have A Manual Labour Job then maybe upping (carefully) the Fiber could help. I personally would not go higher than 25g of Fiber per Day, rather keeping it on the lower side.
Curious, why would you specifically want to up fiber a little when working a manual labor job?

OP
Hans

Hans

Forum Supporter
What about recirculation of secondary bile acids? I would get gallstones instantly eating those foods.
An excess of gut bacteria creates and excess of secondary bile acids, not the lack of fiber. People with gut dysbiosis create too much pathological second bile. Killing the excess and rebalancing the gut bacteria will lower secondary bile.
How would these foods give you gallstones?

Markus

An excess of gut bacteria creates and excess of secondary bile acids, not the lack of fiber. People with gut dysbiosis create too much pathological second bile. Killing the excess and rebalancing the gut bacteria will lower secondary bile.
How would these foods give you gallstones?
I agree about the former, but lack of fiber, in combination with a high cholesterol and high sugar diet, tends to give me gallstones.

How would you go about reducing excess bacteria btw? I've done several rounds of antimicrobials, but my gut issues tend to come back.

OP
Hans

Hans

Forum Supporter
I agree about the former, but lack of fiber, in combination with a high cholesterol and high sugar diet, tends to give me gallstones.

How would you go about reducing excess bacteria btw? I've done several rounds of antimicrobials, but my gut issues tend to come back.
Gallstones are often caused by estrogen and inflammation. My diet is roughly 300g carbs, which is not really that much compared to what I've done when I've eaten more starches and sugar.

What does your diet look like in general?

Frostee

Nice article, some people here recommend getting 2g carb for every 1g protein. Specifically to avoid hypoglycemia and to make use of the protein you eat so it doesn't get used for fuel. @Hans It looks like you don't get quite that much so do you agree with that?

For me personally I am sedentary so a lot of extra carbs would seem like easy fat gain, or I would have to go unnaturally low in fats.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals